If you had to ditch three things

Lodge cast iron skillet
DeBuyer giant skillet
LeCreuset Dutch oven

(Wishing I could list a SMEG toaster. Hate it. Hate it.)

1 Like

Same rules here. Very sound.

1 Like

Does that apply to spouses? Asking for @bbqboy

1 Like

Lots of folk regret grill pans. I agree, however, a cast iron griddle with a flat side and a ridged side takes very little room in the vertical cabinet with sheet pans and such and is really useful for making English muffins, tortillas, etc. The ridged side is great for panini.

3 Likes

Too funny. Thankfully, my husband is useful.

In addition to being the nicest person I’ve ever met, he being 5’ 11” and me being 5’ 2” I am constantly asking him to get things down from the top shelves.

3 Likes

Right, and you help him to get things from the bottom shelves, right?

1 Like

Same heights here. I remember years ago she was trying to get something down, and the dog, a large and slobbery dog, was dancing around. She finally sort of lost it for a moment, and I asked what was wrong. She said, “I’m short, and I’m stepping in dog spit.” Now when she wants something from high up, she says, “Boy, would you fetch me that (whatever).” I reply, “As you wish.” If anyone here has never seen The Princess Bride (inconceivable), do so at once.

9 Likes

:laughing:

My daughter is 25 yo and claims to be 5’ but she isn’t. And I don’t let her get away with tales. :smirk: If I drop something I ask her if she’d pick it up because she’s closer. She loves that joke. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Marie

Bouncing off the “stuff stashed over my head” posts, we have a row of cupboards above a work station that are probably 6’ to 10’. When I was able to go from chair to counter level, I used this area with gay abandon. Now I’m rather caution to make these leaps. So I try to remember what is hidden up there. A collection of french molds, a half dozen single service charlotte molds with lids, several Chemex pots, maybe 4 9x13 baking dishes used for parties. I don’t worry about it. Someone will find this hidey hole.

2 Likes

Marie Kondo

To anyone who has never tried Marie Kondo’s approach to tidying up, it is liberating and uplifting. If you undertake it, you need to follow her method. By the time you get to sentimental items your way of looking at “stuff” will have changed sufficiently to let you thank things and let them begin anew elsewhere.

2 Likes

For the first item, I’m going to include several cast iron pans as I simply do not use them and don’t know what I was thinking when I “collected” so many of them. I think one is more than enough. This would include a grill pan, of course. What a waste.

Second item would be a Philips pasta maker. I’m not sure what I was thinking with that purchase, either. We don’t even eat much pasta. It takes up space and is one of those single-use things that just don’t need to exist.

Third item would be a large Le Creuset dutch oven. We rarely (less than once a year) cook anything that needs a pot that large, and it takes up a lot of space in the cupboard. I could easily use a large stainless dutch oven I have and get the same result. But then I remember how much I spent on it and it stays. I hope my son (or a potential future partner) wants to cook someday and I can pass it on to him. So far, he’s a young adult and is showing no signs of a cooking hobby. Why cook when you have mom to do it for you?

Great thread idea, Vecchiouomo! (Side note from another thread: I was supposed to go to the place on Walnut Hill in Dallas for some Mexican mashed potatoes today after going to another appointment, but, alas, it was just too hot. I will go back on a day when it’s not 110 in the shade!)

3 Likes

No, he’s more flexible than I am.

In fact, when I want to declutter his job is to take everything off the shelves and put it on the counter.

2 Likes

I would have only one item - slow cooker (useless as it produces sub-par food. I don’t always agree with Kenji but he had one article where he described how crappy are slow cookers in producing good food - and I 100% agree.

1 Like

A small waffle maker, a commercial meat/deli slicer my husband picked up for $75 outside the liquor store from a guy who was in charge of store cleanups. The list could on and on.

1 Like

For the price point it actually makes very good pasta and we really enjoy the Phillips pasta maker

1 Like

I mostly agree, but it sure has come in handy in hot-Texas this last couple weeks. I’ll take some subpar food to not have to move around in the kitchen in this heat wave. Outside of this use, the slow cooker is another space hog I could live without.

1 Like

Now I’m questioning myself, ha! I will wait until fall and try it again. You’re right, the price point vs. value wasn’t bad.

This is my life too. :rofl:

1 Like