Ideas for trout roe, besides decoration?

I picked up an 8oz jar of gorgeous trout roe while in Philly recenty. One of my favorite breakfasts is toast with cream cheese topped with trout roe and a squeeze of fresh lemon, and yesterday I ‘decorated’ a lox toast with it.

I suppose I could just finish the jar by having some version of this, but I’m hoping for more fun suggestions from my fellow HOs.

I could see it being part of a simple pasta dish like fettuccine or linguine with a crème fraîche sauce and trout roe, which would also use up a sizable amount - that stuff doesn’t last forever, after all.

But does it qualify to be a main ingredient to something? :thinking:

Add to a beurre blanc and dress salmon or trout with it! You could also sub it for other fish roe in taramasalata:

2 Likes

I adore tarama, but have never made it myself. Thank you!

1 Like

Good luck!

1 Like

I think roe is great atop creamy/eggy bases. Consider a roe Benedict, roe topped deviled eggs or eggy potato salad.

3 Likes

I keep it simple.
Love it with dairy (yoghurt, cream or butter).

Have you eaten it with rice?

1 Like

Onigiri filling. Maybe with a bit of Kewpie.

1 Like

Omelet.

Good one. Eggses on eggses. Or would that be in eggses? :thinking:

1 Like

A slice of bread.
A slab of unsalted butter.
Roe.
Cold vodka shots.

3 Likes

Yeah, KISS seems to be the general consensus. Still flirting with the pasta idea… might hafta sandwich some big fat seared scallops in between the pasta and the roe :wink:

1 Like

I just love to add roe on any sort of rice or bowls. Simple, but so good. Onigiri is a good idea, as long as you don’t squish them too much.

1 Like

Yes, no squishing. Part of the enjoyment is the tactile pleasure of the roe popping against one’s palate, after all :wink:

I like to cut mini cukes into thick slices, scoop out and discard most of the centre (leaving the bottom intact), then fill the space with tobiko. Great for serving as canapés.

1 Like

Hey, thx all for yer input. Kept it simple today and had TWO slices of toast with cream cheese and trout roe :smiling_face:

4 Likes