Icebox desserts/cakes, frig or frozen

I have never tried soft serve frozen yogurt for this recipe.

So, I did get to Kroger this morningā€“ostensibly to buy dog food and treats, but I returned home with about $8 of stuff to make an ice box dessert. Dessert ainā€™t cheap.

2 Likes

$8 for a homemade dessert vs. $8-10 bucks for a SLICE of dessert at a restaurant or bakery.

Bargain

3 Likes

A local market where I live that has a good bakery is now charging $35 for a small cake.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s an adorable little pie and sandwich shop on the leeward side of Maui. They had a large assortment of pies including passion fruit, macadamia, coconut and standard popular types. They were all in individual tin foil containers and were about 8-10 $ per. We tried a few different flavors until our pie bill was about $50 - yikes! It was worth it however and we like to support small businesses. We ate them back in the condo after dinner, so we all got to try some of each. The little shop is still going strong as of February this year.

2 Likes

Just to clarify, they were made in small individual tinfoil pie pans, such as an individual pot pie or even smaller. Guess you could call them mini pies.

1 Like

We make that at Christmas. One of the family favorites.
If you can find the ginger cookies it is even better.

Never thought to use ginger cookies or snaps, but then again didnā€™t like ginger in baked goods until fairly recently, and now I love them.

My $8 icebox dessert:

Ready made Graham Cracker pie crust;
layer of sliced banana;
layer of softened cream cheese;
layer of canned peaches;
large layer of banana pudding;
layer of whipped cream,
almond slivers.

The softened cream cheese and canned peaches sealed the deal for the dessert.
I was very disappointed in the whipped cream. Nothing sinful in the tasteā€¦

2 Likes

Looks refreshing!!

Did you sweeten it at all? If you want to gild the lily, add a bit of sugar and splash of amaretto or bourbon.

1 Like

Iā€™ll try the sugar, Babette. I was wondering why the whipped cream turned out so bland. Thank you for the tip.

1 Like

If we sweeten up whipped cream itā€™s with a bit of powdered sugar and vanilla extract in the stand mixer with the whip attachment. Itā€™s added at the soft peak stage a tablespoon at a time. TAste as you go. Overly sweet is just as lousy as bland.

4 Likes

Happy this thread popped back up! Reminds me to save all the linked recipes.

1 Like

Sorry to reply to a post you made 4 years ago, but I was recently very sad to hear that Nabiscoā€™s Famous Chocolate Wafers have been discontinued. I havenā€™t lived in the states since 2009, but when I lived there, I would sometimes buy those wafers for recipes or just to eat something with the rich taste of dark cocoa without the sickeningly sweetness of many other cookies. Nabisco has discontinued so many wonderful cookies and crackers that I loved over the years and it always saddens me to read about that.

3 Likes

Oh noooo! I had no idea - that is some bad news. I used them for lots of different things over the years, and yes, loved they werenā€™t too sweet. Maybe we should post this over in the End Of Times topic - waahhhh :sob::cry:

2 Likes

There used to be a site called ā€œHometownFavorites . comā€ that sold many regional foods from all over the US. Some Nabisco products that used to be nationwide became only available in certain regions and I would buy various such products and it was great. But then evil Amazon bought them and the site disappeared. Here is the archived blog of the founder of Hometown Favorites.

Now the only similar site I know is ā€œFamous Foodsā€ which mostly (but not exclusively) specializes in New England products.

Years back, when I had co-workers from the Boston area, we would chip in on an order of these crackers. Iā€™m surprised Nabisco still makes them at all!

1 Like

This stupid easy ice cream marble terrine is a winner. Simply fruit and nuts layered in store-bought ice cream, frozen and sliced into stunning and delicious dessert plates. Personalize it as you wish. I add other berries and cherries, leave out pinenuts, etc.

2 Likes

The Canadian equivalent are still being made, in case anyone is interested.

https://www.metro.ca/en/online-grocery/aisles/snacks/sweet-snacks-candy/cookies-cakes/chocolate-wafers/p/066721010032

3 Likes

Paywall. Share?