Icebox desserts/cakes, frig or frozen

Wow! What a variety. I’m saving this thread. I need a break from whipped cream…at least a month…before I can look at dessert again.

Interesting list!

Ha! What a great image!

I have a very cloudy childhood memory of eating a pie like this, but think it was made with peaches and blackberries. It’s also possible I’m conflating two memories.

2 Likes

Love this thread! Can’t wait til I can read it entirely. Icebox cakes are pretty easy and so retro too, as well as being delicious.

1 Like

An idea for the recipes here that include a chocolate or mocha pudding. This SOUNDS iffy but trust me, it’s a wonderful twist on mocha. Be sure to use REAL maple syrup:
MAPLE-MOCHA PUDDING (as in The Maple Syrup Cookbook)
3 T cornstarch
1 T powdered instant coffee or powdered instant espresso
1 t unsweetened cocoa
3 egg yolks
3 cups milk
1/2 c pure maple syrup (I prefer a dark grade)
1 T butter, cut into pieces
1 t vanilla
Stir first 4 ingredients in heavy-bottomed pot. In a bowl, whisk yolks, when whisk in milk and maple syrup. Stir into dry ingredients and turn on heat to med-high. Gradually bring to boil, stirring constantly, scraping sides as you stir. Once it boils, continue stirring while it boils for one minute. Take pot off heat, stir in butter and vanilla. Ladle into 4 or 5 bowls and chill.

4 Likes

Reads delicious!

After the first time I made Banana Split Cake for a family get together here, my SIL always asked me to bring it to her cookouts. Paula’s recipe is close enough to mine. The original suggested chocolate syrup drizzled on top as ‘optional’ so I didn’t use it. In hindsight, I guess I should have at least served it on the side. I didn’t particularly care for this dessert myself but the Southern crowd went wild. Never a graham cracker crumb left. Oh but I did put cherries on top for decoration.

2 Likes

I like the flavor of crushed spice or gingersnap cookies more than graham crackers but this one def looks like some of the more typical ice box cakes my sibs and I had growing up.

2 Likes

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/calgary-nanaimo-bars/

These look simple to prepare once you get the ingred list together.

Too sweet for me!

Absolutely but the young ins loved them. Especially the crispy bottom layer. I made more of a rice krispie base.

Even easier might be 7 layer bars? All the same flavors. Exception would be to throw in butterscotch chips The confectioners sugar, pudding mix, butter and milk seem to mimic sweetened condensed milk.

Have a recipe handy that you recommend I follow?

Mine are actually called Hello Dolly bars but here is the same recipe.

1 Like

Wow, now that one has my teeth aching! But the kid-lets would love that ooey-gooey bite.

1 Like

Has anyone made “The Famous Chocolate Wafer Cake”? It’s on the back of the package of the plain chocolate wafers that are good for chocolate pie crusts. You spread each cookie with stabilized whipped cream and stand them all on end, frosting the top with a generous amount of the whipped cream. Put in the fridge overnight and you’ve got a cake the next day. It’s not too sweet but depends on how much sugar you add to the cream. I’m glad I tried it, and younger kids can help since they think it’s pretty cool.

3 Likes

That was THE Easter dessert for soooo many years!

Interesting! One could sprinkle it before serving with a bunch of colored sugar sprinkles because Easter IMO lends itself to a lot of tacky colors, especially if kids are involved. No kids in our life presently but I could do it for American Easter anyway. We also celebrate orthodox Easter a week later, in a secular but more traditional manner.

My family shaped the choc wafer cake into a cross. Nothing fancy just whipped cream and the wafers but someone in the family made a cross mold out of tin foil each year.

Eventually we moved onto graham pudding cake, lemon whipped cream cake and then pizzelle and cannoli fried cookies for Easter.

1 Like

For the love of God, Dan, why–oh why did you post this thread?

I’ll be at my local Kroger tomorrow at 6 AM to buy fixins to make something. And, it’s Lent!

4 Likes