ice cream poll

I’ve been making Philadelphia-style, super easy ice cream and we love it. Last night i tried the NYT only-ice-cream-recipe you will need (French) and I don’t like it! Spouse said he could taste the egg. I don’t know, it just tasted odd to me. What do you folk like?

2 Likes

Can you elaborate on the “Philly-style” ice cream? Most ice cream we make at home is custard based.

The only ice cream I don’t like are the non-dairy variety.

Gnarly stuff. Not good for the soul.

2 Likes

Good point.
How can something with cream in the name not have any milk products present?
Sacrilege.

2 Likes

Like this?

(This gave me pause: “it’s best eaten the same day it’s made, so don’t make more than you can eat in a short period of time”)

But yes, custard tastes different than cream.

You didn’t mention what flavor of either type.

Philadelphia i think is just cream or half-and-half, sugar, vanilla, and whatever–I havee made chocolate ( withcocoa powder), chocolate chip, and vanilla. The custard (French type) I made last night was mixed fruit, which I cooked down to quite dry. We have kept the non-egg kind for 4 days without problem–it became minimally less creamy, but still very good. It waa churned, though, in the countertop machine.

I’d say it’s a matter of you like what you like. Possibly also what your palate is used to. Whatever you enjoy is the right answer.

Now if I’m making ice cream, it’s going to have a custard base simply because we favor that style. When we buy ice cream, stabilizers like guar gum are offputting to us so we skip them.

3 Likes

Yeah! Love custard. Milwaukee is the same.

Kopp’s frozen custard- pistachio. My all-time fave. Real iced cream, I have a nice local one, Ginny’s Cupboard, downtown Sparta, WI.

Certainly it is a matter of what you like to make and eat–just curious whether I was an outlier.

1 Like

They are just different dishes, as are gelato and no-churn (condensed milk) ice cream and frozen custard.

I like most of them, in different flavors, but maybe not equally. I like fior di latte gelato (which is probably pretty similar in flavor to an untampered Philly/NY-style ice cream). I like dark chocolate ice cream in a rich custard base. I like coffee no-churn. I also love kulfi (which is neither churned nor whipped).

I think a custard base needs a stronger flavor to offset the egg if one is sensitive to it. Lighter bases (gelato or Philly/NY) lend themselves well to lighter flavors. Sometimes a custard is too rich for me. Other times, I want that density. Same as condensed milk / no churn - I find that pretty rich.

3 Likes

Custard is great for flavors like vanilla, butter pecan, coffee, chocolate, and other flavors that don’t involve fresh fruit. You can make great Philadelphia style ice cream with these flavors, and I’ve also tasted some fruit ice creams with custard base that were honestly quite good, but that’s a general rule.
I would caution that eggy flavor can be the result of overcooked base or on the other hand not cooking the egg. Also some custard bases are much heavier on eggs than others.
There are also other options, like starch-based ice creams. A lot of gelato is made with a starch-thickened base. I like Jeni Britton Bauer’s base thickened with cornstarch and with ingredients like corn syrup and cream cheese for a super creamy and dense ice cream.

2 Likes

Thanks, Shellybean. I will look into those options. I did cook it ti 170 degrees, as specified, and it did coat a spoon. But it asked for 6 yolks, which seemed like a lot.

1 Like

I like almost any style of ice cream. However, in the past I have noticed that I especially like high-fat content ice cream.

2 Likes

For vanilla, I like the “old fashioned” type with eggs. Mix, put in the fridge for 12 hours or more before mixing into ice cream.

My favorites though are the black walnut or pecan ice creams. Those are the only real ones, as far as I am concerned.

Everything else is just childrens’ plaything sugars.

:crazy_face:

I’ve never had “eggy” custard. Did you recheck the recipe to be sure it asked for 6 yolks? Sounds pretty heavy.

Heh, Claudia Fleming’s ice cream recipes in The Last Course call for 12 yolks for 1 qt of ice cream.

Dang! But, that would be a frozen custard, no? Some awfully rich frozen custard.

1 Like

The places I used to frequent in Milwaukee (Kopp’s, Fred’s, Leon’s, among others) had amazing fruit based custards. Their black raspberry at Kopp’s is sublime.

https://www.kopps.com/flavor-preview

1 Like

I’ve had frozen custard, but I don’t really differentiate between it and other custard-based ice cream. Names usually have to do with the fact that technically ice cream is cream, milk, sugar, without egg yolks being a requirement. Calling it frozen custard lets one know that it’s this richer style.
As for Fleming, that’s restaurant cookbooks for you. It’s fine to call for all those egg yolks when you’re either buying yolks for the pastry department or you’re making things constantly that use up egg whites. At home I’m fine using a more modest 4-6 yolks if I want to make one of her recipes.

1 Like