I will not abandon my 8" Wusthof Classic Ikon Chef's Knife, but

Yes, a bit odd and I didn’t find the info googling a bit on my mobile… I think they would reply to an email asking for it though. I have written with them a couple times.

1 Like

Thanks Ray, our trip went fine and nice to hear you are enjoying your new knives.

I also have 2 SG2 knives, a Takamura santoku and a Sukenari gyuto. The edge retention is pretty nice and the knives are quite fine. I bought the santoku as a sort of upgrade, but more as thinner choice to our VG10 santoku that we received as a gift. The Sukenari 210mm was one of the first Japanese knives I bought and its my wifes favorite by now. She seems to have started taking it before the Wusthof.

3 Likes

Hi CCE,

I’ve not only never chopped through a bone, I’ve used other small knives to cut through joints in chicken. Others have reported that their Wusthofs either succeed, or leave easily repairable damage. Those stories give me more confidence in relying on a softer steel knife when facing risky situations–over my harder steel knives.

Truth is, my softer steel knives have not gotten deformed to the point of emergency sharpening, and none of my harder steel knives have chipped.

I’m very safety oriented–even for the “health” of my knives.

1 Like

Poultry shears hold a place of honor in my knife block. (Plus, they’re also good for opening clamshell packaging!) Why risk wrecking a knife? I have Kershaw kitchen shears that would work just about as well, but I like the curved blades on the poultry shears.

2 Likes

Hi Vecchiouomo,

For me, “fun” is exploring, testing and practice–tracking cultural change.

My poultry shears are a real freak in my batterie. They were my great grandfather’s and have pearl handles. Although they live in a little chest in the dining room, they earn their keep in the kitchen.

6 Likes

I am curious, other than cutting through a joint to separate bones, when do people cut through bones? I crack or crush bones that have marrow, but that is done with a hammer. I have broken through an improperly sawn chine now and them, but I have used a meat cleaver, augmented by a hammer if needed.

I have just bought a new pair, by Fiskars. Couldn’t live without them.

4 Likes

Excellent! Beautiful! And you keep them in their own place of honor! I have my great-grandfather’s mustache cup, but it’s long been retired from family service and it lives tucked in a bookshelf, away from access by cats.

1 Like

With chicken I do it quite often. Cutting through bones. That is because I buy whole chickens, and I like those parts of the chicken where the bones are… :slight_smile: It’s easy to cut a chicken ‘proper’ but I’d then have to separate parts for stock, whereas now I can just enjoy as much meat as possible. Cut-through chicken bones also help flavour the sauce in a braise.

Then I sometimes buy a whole rabbit, and then I need to cut it up in parts too. Those bits are tough.

1 Like

I do cut through poultry bones. To be specific, especially this cut:

1 Like

I spatchcock chickens and small turkeys, but never with a knife. And if I halve a split bone-in chicken breast into 2 pieces, that’s another job for the poultry shears.

2 Likes

Tim - aaand… shears are CHEAP plus tough. I’ve got like 3 pairs of shears laying about, and don’t think I paid more than $10 for any of them, and they’re all Henkel branded. Just stuff I got complimentary for buying other stuff, and I’ve been using them for 30 years with just occasional sharpening. Desultory, at that, really, my sharpening efforts. I just need them to crunch. Crunch, Crunch, Crunch.

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Ray. Come on. Reconcile these two quotes.

From the same thread.

What are you doing?

5 Likes

Fiskars make incredible products. I don’t have any of theirs I use in the kitchen, but have 4 that I use in the yard. Much - MUCH - better than typical Home Depot’s other products.

Plus, I have a patent attorney friend who works for them in Finland (he originally was a DE national). He can’t get me discount, but he loves hearing me tell him about how I love their stuff. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi CK - do you do that butterfly of the chicken with a butcher type knife? I always use scissors/shears. But I’ve seen YouTube vids of people doing it with butcher knives very fast and efficiently. I just don’t have the skills for that.

1 Like

I actually use a Channellock to break down bone. Usually this is very heavy beef bone that’s already had one pass through pressure cooker and I’m running a second pass to extract more for bone broth.

I have not had experience of cooking pre-split marrow-bone for serving as such, though.

1 Like

I think Ray is fine. These two statements do not contradict. :laughing:
He is saying that IF he has to chop through a chicken bone. He never said he has done it.
I want you to know.
If I see an alien, I like to show him my cleaver. I have also never met an alien.

2 Likes

Are you sure you never have?

2 Likes

Hmm. To be honest, I am not sure. Maybe I was kidnapped while I was asleep.

1 Like