I scratch my head...Shake Shack to open in Yonkers, NY

I could not believe that the Shake Shack in GCS was packed at 10:45 in the morning - people eating burgers!

What’s wrong with burgers for brunch?

For folks who start work at 7am or 8am, 10:45 is lunchtime. Of course these same folks may work until 6pm or 7pm, especially in the financial trade.

Also many tourists are just getting on the go and this is brunch/lunch for them. Cheaper than restaurant breakfast or diner.

Yes, that’s ok. Truth be told, I was not feeling great that day and was on my way home. If I had been feeling better I would have gotten on that line and taken one on the train!

Keep in mind it is a $7 burger, but it is a really good $7 burger. The chicken sandwich is even better. Two weeks ago I missed one train home by 2 minutes and the next was 30 later. Grabbed both for the ride home. Worth the wait.

One of these days I will actually get to try one. When I go home later the line is ridiculously long.

While I am not familiar with Shake Shack, I do appreciate the “hometown news.” Cross County Shopping Center- a destination in my childhood, dragged along by Mom and Dad. Then, an on-again, off-again hangout in my teens. My last visit, as a tourist from Florida years ago, was pretty depressing as it had gone downhill so much. It is encouraging that they are trying to pump new life into the thing. But as I recall, not everyone in the area (even if it is “Westchester”) can comfortably spend endless dollars at high end establishments. On balance, thanks for letting us know its getting back on its feet.

I can’t wait to get there. rich, if you do, please review!

Do I read they’re to have concretes??? I had a concrete a million years ago, in the South, and it’s MY kind of ice cream drink. Keep your liquid, just give me ice cream in a plastic cup. :yum:

Deedee-
Have been to ss,mostly westport several times.I thought it was very good.have never tried the concretes,because much like Mcd’s,I find the burgers fill me enough. Although I like things a bit hot (spicy) but not necessary for my enjoyment,I was surprised by how much I liked the burger w/pepper relish at ss. Would definitely recommend it.SS still qualifies as a casual upscale burger and I think is priced pretty much accordingly. 5 napkin is basically a restaurant/bar that concentrates on burgers.If i wanted a good burger and want it often, ss would be my choice,If I want an ultimate meal (and to me burgers qualify) then I’d go to 5 napkin,and J-food,if the national were closer rather than farther I’d check out the ugly burger

Hmm. Dee. Maybe we should do lunch there!

Sounds perfect to me!

If you travel to Westport, why not Greenwich?

Gr-
I do go to Greenwich,mostly to stretch my legs and also check out the car dealers- almost as good as the ny auto show,except no models or classic/vintage cars.Mostly out during the day,so a large $$ burger is not what I’m looking for.That is also why 5 napkin does not and will not get much of my business. Even SS can add up very quickly. Dinner would just as well stay close so 5 napkin over national (although in truth probably not much of a time difference to get to)

Couldn’t resist opening day. They had a dj and loud loud music as you wait on-line,also give-aways- small cotton (organic no less) bag (organic makes it taste soo much better).Also a sweat band. Samples of ice cream. Decided to try different from usual order. Had the chicken- very good,juicy and crunchy crisp- probably would add some hot sauce,which i did not notice til after and a chicago hot dog (no dinner for me). Also good,but the hot dog had cooled right away.Have yet to try the concretes or other ice creams,but i’m sure they are good.Btw,they offer abita root beer- very good and slightly difficult to find around here. Next time will go back to the smokestack burger.Or the bacon cheeseburger and get pepper relish on the side.

Cool. Thanks, rich. I look forward to trying it.

After another try tday I just don’t get the attraction to Shake Shack burgers. I got the single bacon cheddar burger and fries. Almost $11, almost 1100 calories, and… eh. The burger was just ok. The meat was tasty, cooked well done, which I don’t like. The cheese sauce was not noticeably a “Wisconsin Cheddar”, bland. The fries are crinkle cut frozen commercial fries. I don’t understand how public opinion made them go back to these, when for awhile they had some excellent hand cut fresh fries.

All in all, I didn’t finish the burger or fries. Better than McD’s and BK, and 5 guys and smashburger, and some of the other supposedly premium burger chains. But I just don’t need to ever eat a SS burger and fries again. Feel kind of yucky just thinking about it.

Maybe I’ll try the chicken sandwich some time, but they are not my fav type of sandwich, so maybe not. I would have tried a malted shake, but too much calories/sugars to do today with that burger and fries. My diabetes would have had words with me if I had.

JMF-
After growing up with the big 3 (I’m at the right age to remember the excitement of the first local Mc’ds.Im a big fan of all the new competition, Having said that,many of the places,while a step-up are nothing special. I think SS more than holds its own- price is a bit high,but compared to some others it seems (almost ) reasonable. The one exceptional burger I’ve had was at 5 napkin- but even more $$ and from the size ,I’m guessing more calories. Still would consider ss for a good everyday burger (try the smokeshack btw) and for a treat 5 napkin

What most people don’t know is that Shake Shack has a secret menu.
For instance there is a Peanut Butter Bacon burger, which was offered one weekend years ago, and then taken off the menu because of allergy concerns. However, if your counter person is cooperative, you’ll get a bacon burger with a side of peanut butter sauce which you can use as the condiment. A friend swears by it, but I’m not Elvis and have never tried it. I suspect the sauce comes from one of their shakes. Supposedly they also will make you a triple burger on request as well as a melted cheese and tomato – also off menu. Again, the counterperson decides whether to grant the requests.

I confess – I love SS burgers, especially their sauce (catchup, mayo, some mustard), which reminds me of the original Big Boy (which inspired the Big Mac).

Also big fan of Danny Myer. Good human being. Rich human being.

1 Like

Louuuu-
No offense but a peanut butter bacon burger sounds like a barf-burger to me. I’ll stick to in n out for a secret menu thank you very much. Agree about Danny Myer.

Me too!

I take no offense. As mentioned I have never tried it. My friend who has likens the combo to Thai beef satay.