I scratch my head...Shake Shack to open in Yonkers, NY

Two burger joints nearby in Hartsdale., probably thinking of Bareburger- pricey,small portions,paying for “quality” read organic ingredients- Not so good imo, or possibly (by H-mart) Jake’s Wayback- more like an old-fashioned luncheonette- can still add up $$, but pretty good burgers and toppings- definitely more kid oriented than BB, but much better

Primosprimos-
SS burgers are not tremendous,but the doubles are the way to go- 1st. time I’d go with a double smokeshack, the hot pepper relish (not alot of it) really kicks it up a notch and who doesn’t like a bacon cheeseburger? Also the Westport location makes for a nice drive, lots of places (food and otherwise) in that area- makes for a nice weekend drive,I’ve a hunch that it is more of a destination than the Yonkers one will ever be (unfortunately)

MisterBill - I’m in Goldens Beidge and I feel the same way. No Fairway for us and the nearest Smashburger is in Greenburg. At least we’re getting a Costco!!!

I think SS has made a conscious decision to build in places where they have a built-in (captive audience) rather than being a destination restaurant. Seems they are building both , but quite a few (Yonkers, Woodbury Commons, Grand Central Station) are counting on the high volume of ppl. to bring in customers.

Grand Central location always has a long line

Yup, that was the one, rich.

The owner is very nice, came over to our table (my friend had been there a few times), but it wouldn’t be one of my return destinations.

Sounds good to me, rich. Again, I’m a sucker for piled on food (someone here mentioned ‘enclosed’ food, wish I could remember what that is), i.e., one of my fave diner dishes is pancakes with corned beef hash with eggs with cheese with syrup, ketchup, and jelly. Disgusting, right? And of course I take most of it home.

So the more junk on a burger, the happier I am. Another barometer is how well it reheats, since I take so much food home. The Bareburger burger and fries did not reheat well.

I’ll give SS at least one shot. If it talks to me - Smashburger and 5 Guys and Bareburger did not - then I’ll go back.

Enclosed food remark was mine. A diner at The French Laundry who we sat next to had a fear of it and was surprised she enjoyed to raviolo in the soup.

Thanks, Gwenn.

That was it, a fear of ‘enclosed’ food. I would love to know the basis of that fear!

1 Like

Per Twitter from 5 Napkin on their happy hour, I just found out 5 Napkin has alcohol. I thought it was another Smash (pathetic place) Burger, this chain almost looks decent.

Anybody been?

It has always been more of a high end burger chain with a bar and priced accordingly. There is a franchise at Ridge Hill in Yonkers. It’s good, too…

Thanks, gutreactions.

How does 5 Napkin compare compare to Smashburger and Five Guys, both of which I think are meeh.

If 5 Napkin were not a chain, it would be a regular sit down restaurant with a bar, more on the tavern side of things. Their prices reflect that, too…

Interesting. I agree with Jonathan, Smashburger and Five Guys (and Bareburger) may be the new thing, but I find them pathetic. I’m hoping Shake Shack is better.

I’m curious, then, what does 5 Napkin has to offer that Molly and Mickey Spillane and Gordo and Tuck’d Away and Emma’s Ale House and Uncle Henry and Blazer and Kelly’s don’t already?

At this point, I think this thread should have its own topic, however…the restaurants/taverns/pubs that you mention are all different menu wise, personality wise, atmosphere wise. Of the places you point out, in my opinion, Emma’s stands alone as the better restaurant/gastropub. Spillane’s is an Irish tavern group with mediocre food, same with Gordo’s, Uncle Henry’s, Blazer Pub and Kelly’s. Tuck’d Away is a pub, not an Irish pub, but a pub and lounge with a chef-driven kitchen and good fare.
The others are just a step above fast-food emporiums, some better, some worse. The debate never ends. Shake Shack is good, yes, but just another chain with its own ardent fans…

I agree. I consider 5 guys, Smashburger, etc as fast food a step above Burger King and that is what I expect when I go. If I want a step above and a drink I’ll do a pub ( but not Blazer - I hate that place, but that’s another topic!)

"I wonder if Cross County gave them some sort of incentive to open there.
_ That would explain opening there as opposed to something more centrally_
_ located."_

Actually the exact opposite. Cross County charges a premium to move in. You have to use Union labor to build out your kiosk, which means litterally double, or more on the cost of opening. Plus a contract that requires around $350k to open. A place I consult to was going to open a branch of their restaurant in the kiosk next to Chipotle, and several months in they got caught up in fine print about the Union stuff, and other costs, and decided not to open. It cost them $90k to get out of the contract.

“Interesting. I agree with Jonathan, Smashburger and Five Guys (and Bareburger) may be the new thing, but I find them pathetic. I’m hoping Shake Shack is better.”

I don’t think Shake Shack is anything great, but I have only been to the Grand Central location, twice, and don’t need to again.

Wow. Why am I not surprised.

I had it wrong - I keep thinking Shake Shack was opening in Ridge Hill. It’s 5 Napkins I have to visit, at least once, in Ridge Hill.

Ditto on Shake Shack.