I love my new commercial microwave oven

I know people don’t usually consider microwave ovens as ‘cookware’. But I feel I must sing the praises of my new commercial microwave oven that is a replacement of my broken ‘residential’ microwave oven.

• One rotary dial to control time, that’s it, no a gazillion settings that I never really understand.
  • No door opening problem because it uses a simple handle to open the door and it doesn’t have a release mechanism that depends on a thin piece of metal inside the oven that bends over time
  • No door opening problem because the piece of plastic behind the door opening button breaks.
  • Even though its a light duty commercial, its 40 pounds, built like a tank.

Appliances aren’t what they used to be. I bought my broken residential microwave expecting to get at least 10 years of life out of it and I got like 2, making it almost disposable. What a waste of resources.

1 Like

No picture, make, model etc. to share with us? I recently bought a new micro-wave / convection oven combination. Thing is terrible, neither the micro-wave nor convection oven work very well. Paid a lot for it and it’s a total pos. Would like to know what you purchased.

That’s too bad, NJ. I’ve had a Samsung MW/convection and love it. And it’s HUGE so I can fit just about anything in it. It’s an over-the-range but I have it on a shelf of one of those stainless shelving units that Costco sells.

Sounds like my early Amana RadaRange, still going strong.

2 Likes

Well, I was originally just whining about my POS consumer grade microwave, or any recently manufactured consumer grade cooking appliance (I know, I am generalizing), hence I left the model out.

The recent I opted for, to me, a slight upgrade, was that I borrowed temporarily from a neighbor an old Quasar microwave, likely from the 80’s or 90’s. Now I am not familiar with the brand nor do I know how
well that microwave works. But that thing weighed a ton. Now I realize weight doesn’t necessarily equate quality. But part of the reason why my old microwave broke was because of the flimsy material.
So I made it a point to research ‘heavier’ microwaves after that. And I ended up with a Sharp R-21LC. I looked at Amana as well.

Additional benefit: I save time from not have to punch a bunch of digits in, or figure out how far to turn the dial (some microwaves have dials that have no intuitive correlation between how far you turn the dial and how much time is input). For this microwave’s dial, the degree I turn is directly correspondent to the time printed next to the dial.

I can’t vouch for the longevity, but hopefully this thing will last as long as I hope it to be.

Glad you like it. We recently had to get a new one and were told they were the least reliable appliance. Frankly, I was bummed having to get a new one since I only use it for warming up water in the coffee cup so it’s hot, or popcorn, or melting butter, etc. But boy was I surprised how much I missed it when i didn’t have one for a week!

Funny we had an old Quasar at the office, it was a “Radar Range”, pre-micro wave technology or name. It had to be from the late 70’s early 80’s, someone brought it to the office in the mid 90’s and it lasted up till about 5 years ago. Thing heated stuff up like nobody’s business and it weighed a ton. Ok well maybe half a ton, but it was heavy. Had to be 25 years old before it finally gave out.

Good luck with the new one, glad you like it.

Quasar was Panasonic’s (Matsushita’s) sister brand. The same great Panasonic electronics at less-than-Panasonic prices. I sold A/V equipment in the '80s & always recommended Quasar stuff over Panasonic for the cost/value benefit.

Sharp Commercial stuff should be excellent. I’ve got a (small) 30 yr old consumer-grade Sharp Carousel microwave that still works great. I had to replace the turntable motor once, but the microwave oven still heats faster & more evenly than most consumer machines I’ve used in the past 10 yrs.

Panasonic isn’t what it used to be. My old Panasonic from 2000 lasted about 13 years and broke due to my own fault.

My next Panasonic lasted 2 years (the one I referred to in the OP), and I believe its beyond just me being unlucky because of the way the material failed- metal plate bending and plastic piece breaking off…

Plus it doesn’t blink “12:00” at you. I like it

4 Likes

I have had 3 Panasonic microwave oven that are built in. I want to purchase a new microwave but am limited to size bec it is built in, cannot change the trim. ( too complicated to explain)
I hate turntables as I find them difficult to clean and reinstall. So, I am shopping for a microwave that does not have a turntable, but they are only found in commercial microwaves but I am told by both Panasonic and Sharp that when used in a residence, warranty is void.
Any one has comment

Does yours have a turntable? I hate turntables that is why I am shopping for a commercial unit .The are a pain to clean and reassemble back. I break them as well.
How is. yours holding up?

My microwave doesn’t have a turntable. It’s a Siemens built in.

somehow, the Panasonic microwave in Japan, and Australia and perhaps UK for residential use do not have a turntable. Tha is what I want but in this country, they are only available for commercial use. I can buy them, but there is no warranty even I I have not used it yet if I buy it for residential use is what I am told.
I also do not want a large one as it has to fit into my cabinet surround which his custom built.
The one I had in Amsterdam as I remember did not have a turntable as well. ( sold the condo years ago)

I assume by turntable, you mean the spinning plate at the bottom so that the food rotates. I didn’t realize turntables in a microwave aroused such passion! I always took it to be a good thing to rotate the food to avoid overly heated spots that could lead to more food explosions.

I do have one in mine, and it’s quite easy to clean. You pick up the plate, and the little rack it sits on to wash and clean, and then you can also get to the bottom of the microwave in case any thing has fallen in. Never had an issue with my GE, but I don’t consider myself a heavy user. Going on 6+ years.

5 Likes

I had some friends that were biomedical technicians and they explained the basic operation of microwaves. If the microwave doesn’t have a turntable, it has a stirring fan on top to spread the microwaves evenly. We had an old RV with a microwave that didn’t work well. I took it apart and saw a rubber belt attached to a pulley and fan that had rotted and was in pieces. I got a replacement and attached it, and the oven worked normally again.
My guess is that the turntable ovens are cheaper to make, and the commercial ones don’t want the users to have to mess with glass platters that break and need to be cleaned under. This is a generalization- the commercial ovens at work don’t have turntables, and any more the noncommercial ones all seem to.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. I see now why my ex mircowave with a turnable has a larger interior space than my present one. I’ve to say I didn’t do extensive research when purchasing it, and the criteria that it has to be a built in and in harmony with the oven that is just placed below it.

1 Like

That is correct
IN this country (US), microwave without a turntable are commercial ones. They are easier to clean, the stirrer are hidden in the case of Panasonic under the bottom shelf.
This commercial microwaves are usually for countertop but can be built in, just heavier.
I just found one from Katom, SS in and out ( some are just SS outside) Ne 1064F that I was assured by Katom will have warranty.

The last I think I need is another clock to set after the power goes out, or daylight savings time starts or stops.

1 Like

At least, it is a proof to show there is a power problem when we are out of the house.