I Love my Morning Coffee

(Gwenn) #1

Seriously, I have finally gotten to a cup of coffee that I love and I look forward to the morning. I found a distributor of 100% Colombian coffee - he imports it, called Cafe Cultivo. I found the perfect ratio of coffee to water for my Wilfa Coffee pot, which is quite sensitive. I am afraid to make a larger potful as I may not get the ratio right! Who else loves that first cup???

3 Likes

(Dan) #2

:raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed: raising my hand. I like everything about the ritual of enjoying coffee. Our Krupps grinds and brews but I prefer french press no more than two cups at a time so we use the machine for company. The closest roaster is about 8 miles away. We use Peet’s whole bean in the grinder when we don’t get to the roaster. Mocha java and medium roasts is my jam. I dont enjoy flavored coffee.

0 Likes

(Jimmy ) #3

We have a French Press that we really like, but only take it out for holidays when we usually buy whole beans at a small batch roaster nearby.

Our everyday coffee maker is a 10 cup, (four mug), stove top Percolator. Been using this brew method for more than 40 years. We control the perc time and temp, and always get a bracing, tasty morning cup.

2 Likes

(Dan) #4

Talk to me about your grinding and storage method. Do you buy whole beans? Grind as you brew? Storage? How do you keep the beans as fresh as possible.

0 Likes

(Gwenn) #5

I have an Oxo burr grinder with a built in scale. I grind just before I brew. I buy 6 packages of whole bean at a time and keep them in a dark room in the basement. One package at a time is in my kitchen cabinet and in the hopper of my grinder.

0 Likes

That 1st cup is so important! Trader Joe’s dark roast Bay Blend beans ground each morning. Chemex pour over set up for 6 (really 3) cups of coffee.
Perfect every time.

0 Likes

(ChristinaM) #7

I have a Baratza Encore Burr grinder that I love. For a while we were into local beans until the roaster significantly raised prices. Then I switched to Kenya AA beans from Trader Joe’s, which were almost as good and produced a nice smooth, rich, chocolatey cup. TJ started having supply issues right around the time I switched grocery shopping to Aldi (I hear the AA was discontinued). Instead I picked up Aldi’s ground German coffee, which is cheap and tasty, and haven’t looked back (much). I do miss grinding my own beans, but the noise used to really scare my infant son! So it seemed not worth the hassle. I filter coffee using the Clever Dripper, a truly ingenious contraption provided you don’t let the coffee over-extract. I use a French press when making more than a couple cups for company.

0 Likes

The other day I answered the phone and it was a telephone poll. I had nothing else to do, so figured okay, I’ll play.

Here’s a small piece of the dialog (word for word…Im not making this up!)

On a scale from 1 to 7, how many days a week do you drink coffee?
Ten.

Do you have a:
Drip coffee maker?
Yes
Pod style coffee maker like a Keurig?
Yes
Single-cup specialty coffee maker like a Nespresso?
Yes.
Pour over cone filter like a Melitta?
Yes.
French press?
Yes.
Italian Moka pot?
Yes.

Wow. Ma’am, you really like coffee!

I might have a problem.

6 Likes

(Dan) #9

Love this gadget and we have a similar single serve dripper for loose leaf teas.

Had my eyes on this version, no paper filter req.

2 Likes

(Gwenn) #10

Yes, paper filters are my only issue. I used to get the Wilfa paper filters but they are discontinued in the US. I can’t find a decent paper filter now and you can’t use gold in the Wilfa coffee maker.

0 Likes

As with most things I went off the deep end with coffee many years ago and started home roasting. Went through the espresso phase and ended up with this tank of a grinder, a Mazzer mini. It will out live me.

May get back into espresso but for the last several years it’s just been regular drip with the Bonavita. Only drink a couple of mugs in the morning

4 Likes

We have a variety of ways to make coffee around here. Although it doesn’t produce the best cup, I make a big batch of cold brew weekly. On the weekends, my husband usually will brew us a chemex or a single pour over with beans ground on demand. He typically picks up beans at Blue Bottle. The cabinet has an aeropress and a french press too that are rarely used. We have an automatic drip maker somewhere too but it hasn’t been used in years…

0 Likes

I have so many coffee prep methods

0 Likes

Most mornings Chemex, french press if I’ve gotten out of bed late. I seem to have misplaced the moka and the drip only comes out for larger groups of people. I broke the ceramic pour over and haven’t replaced it.

My current fave beans are Sumatra from a small batch roaster that does mail order but is local to me and sells through a store we love (www.madeshopriverside,) owned by some really awesome people we like to support.

I drink my coffee black.

0 Likes

I go between a Bialetti for mornings i only have time for one mug before i run out the door, or i use an insulated french press for when i have more time and can have a few cups.
I occasionally buy fancy beans but Peet’s major dickason is my go to. Nothing special grinder but i do grind just before brewing, that does make a big difference to me.
I make it rather strong and add sweetner and a splash of vanilla soymilk, otherwise my tummy gets mad.

There’s a nespresso classic machine in the cupboard that I haven’t used for a long time, the pods get expensive quickly and for a small strong coffee i prefer the bialetti.

The place i stay at in philly has a drip coffee maker that’s fine, does the job. They have La Columbe coffee which is preground and lackluster- i’m always the first up so i make a pot for whomever wants some and just use a lot of coffee so it’s good enough. The coffee shop on the campus makes a good cup, (better than starbucks, not as good as my favorite shop cafe grumpy) so i end up there later in the morning for either a drip coffee with hot soy milk or they do a nice cortado.

1 Like

2nd cup is nearly as good as that 1st cup!! :wink:

i have a range of coffeemaking devices from manual to machine, but the one that most owns my heart is the Aeropress. It’s traveled literally around the world with me a few times over, given its portability and durability, yet even at home it still gets its fair-share of use. Being an immersion-type brewer, it gives me another brewing variable to play with (immersion time) that my drip methods don’t, so i can really tailor my extractions to match my appetite for experimentation. It’s also friendly to variation on filtration (metal vs paper; 1 paper or 2?; etc), and excels too when using bypass brewing method . Lastly, it’s among the most grind-insensitive of the brewing methods I use, so i get consistent coffee if i keep my other variables fixed (which i rarely wish to do though, lol).

I hope this doesn’t sound like a shill-post for Aeropress; i’m just a happy customer!

1 Like

(Dan) #17

aeropress invented by a frisbee co. a road rats best brew. countless tours where a-press and frisbee kept us from killing each other. cult following.

2 Likes

After buying using and not liking drip makers, French presses, electric percolators, vacuum which wasn’t bad we have gone back to basics … If it isn’t broken don’t fix it. Always grind whole beans … https://portorico.com/store/
Shop rite filters are fine

3 Likes

Very few things can help ensure an improved cup better than ‘… always grinding fresh’.

reminds me of the old coffee industry mantra, 'The Rule of 15" :

-Roast within 15 months of receiving green beans
-Grind within 15 days of Roasting beans
-Brew within 15 minutes of Grinding beans
-Drink within 15 seconds of brewing

(the last one was really meant to apply for espresso shots, IIRC)

4 Likes

I loved my aeropress for many years, but finally splurged on a Nespresso machine last year and there’s no turning back now. I refuse to get rid of my aeropress… just in case.

0 Likes