I Love my Morning Coffee

Bought it along with a burr grinder and nespresso frother. Very happy java joy.

1 Like

Cafe Bustello has been my friend the last two months. Shop Rite charges an asinine $6.99 for a pack while the local Aldi charges $2.99 for the same exact pack. I bought a bunch.

1 Like

Wow, quite a price difference!

2 Likes

Sounds like the kind of stuff i see in nyc…! Some stores specific products are stupid expensive yet elsewhere are not.
How do you make/drink cafe bustello? I’ve tried in the past and wasn’t a fan

Strong and in little cups…think demitasse. Add sugar til it’s almost syrupy.

Ugh you want a bigger cup, you a top it off with warm milk for a media y media.

In Miami they have windows in the sides of the building where you walk up and get a cup of Cuban and drink it standing up (long predating Starbucks drive through!)

Floridians roll on Cuban coffee.

1 Like

Aha… that explains it. I made in my french press not as espresso style. I do have a Bialetti and love a little strong cup (altho not too sweet and needs a smidge of creamer or my tummy hates me), and at some point i became a cortado fan thinking this would be good there too.
I’ll pick some up next time i see it at a non-stupid price and give it a proper try again!

We had this at Grocery Outlet for $2.99 also.
In the soft pack, not a can.
10 oz., if I remember correctly …
For that price, pretty okay.

1 Like

Making Cafe Bustello or any espresso for that matter in a Mr. Coffee machine is like science. It takes several trials of water to coffee ratio to get the right blend without it being too watery or coming out like jet fuel.

Usually, I do a 1 cup of water to 1 tablespoon ratio. Sometimes I use a little less than 1:1. I swear, coffee out of that machine tastes different from day to day even with the same ratios.

I’ve been drinking my espresso black, maybe with a lemon peel. But I would like to experiment with other styles.

Yes, that’s the same pack we have here (at both locations I mentioned).

Bit of a tangent here, but this was interesting article in the Washington Post.

They rightfully get credit for much of our modern coffee culture, but in many ways, other places have caught up and tread new ground. Slowly, they are breaking out of their mold :

Italy ‘catching up’ to coffee culture

Not to go on an even further tangent, but this seems to have some parallels to the food & wine world. E.g. France kind of ‘re awakening’ over the past generation or so, and starting to put modern thinking into the way they make & market wines, after the new-world upstarts started casting larger & larger shadows in the 80s/90s.

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting. Vienna, Austria went through a very similar moment of reckoning when Starbucks came to the city.

I actually just went back and started reading the Reader Comments to this article. Hoo-boy! quite a storm that was kicked up!

It’s Unfortunate that most of the readers have interpreted the article as a ‘Starbucks model vs Italian model’ discussion; perhaps the author could have drawn those battle lines a bit clearer.

At the same time, while I fundamentally agree with the article author’s support of diversification, I also do expect (& hope) that traditions there in Italy won’t be going away anytime soon.

1 Like

A moka works well too

1 Like

Yeah I didn’t make it right or invest enough life energy into trying other ways…!
Will definitely keep your advice in mind when i pick some up- i kept thinking there must be a good reason why it’s so crazy popular.

At least here in the southern US, it’s because of the huge population from the Spanish-speaking islands of the Caribbean.

Cafe Bustelo, Cafe Pilon, and their locally-produced counterparts (Caracolillo and Naviera, here in Tampa) are a staple here (and the local versions are amazing)

1 Like

Here in NYC as well.

2 Likes