I love butter

I have not seen this one. That’s expensive!!

1 Like

I believe US regulations require anything with “butter” labeled to have a certain fat percentage - like 85%?? or something??

I used Land O Lakes and Plugra regularly and tried Hotel Bar and Kerry Gold.

I actually don’t taste a big amount of difference between them. I think the tasteless butter are butter substitutes sold in the US for a cheaper price.

But US laws require the fat percentage etc.

1 Like

US regulations require anything labeled “butter” to be at least 80% butterfat. Regular Land O Lakes is about 81%. I used to buy Land O Lakes Extra Creamy, which has a higher percentage, but have not seen it in the stores for some time.

2 Likes

Is Kirkland butter kerrygold? I always buy that one in the 4 pk at Costco because the price is right. But our butter is mostly used in baking, and not straight up eating. I thought I saw Kerrygold at Costco? But I could be wrong.

1 Like

I’ve read online that it’s supposedly made by the same folks who make Kerrygold. Hence the lookalike wrapping, but haven’t been able to confirm that. They may also have Kerrygold too, but I usually just go for the Kirkland and have been pretty happy.

2 Likes

You did. They carry Kerrygold and it’s cheaper thank in the market.

1 Like

I just wanted to thank(?) you all for inspiring me to buy and try more different types of butter, and use it as is sometimes, instead of hiding it all in cakes and cookies.

2 Likes

This claims that the Kirkland is made in New Zealand, not Ireland. It also claims that the Kirkland won in a blind taste test (tasting both plain and in a baked good.)

3 Likes

I’m a butter fan too.

I use danish Lurpak 99/100 times.

I buy only unsalted butter since I use it for baking, so I find butter in restaurants (almost always salted) too salty. I love butter on Jacob’s Cream Crackers; that’s all the cracker needs.

I but roll butter from the Amish. $6/lb but pretty tasty compared to grocery store butter.

So, I decided to do a completely, utterly, and highly unscientific taste test on my own. I had recently purchased the Truly Grass Fed as recommended by @retrospek upthread, had Kate’s in my butter dish, had Kerrygold in the fridge, and bought Wegman’s Butter Boy French Butter yesterday.

I also have LOL and Finlandia in the freezer, but didn’t want to wait for them to defrost. And yes, I know that’s TPSTOB that I currently have in my house. Yeah, so what? :wink:

In the first picture, left to right, it’s TGF and Butter Boy at the top, and Kate’s and Kerrygold at the bottom. You can see the color differences.

I had some Boudin’s sourdough french bread that I warmed in the oven, and put some butter on 4 pieces, letting it melt in a little bit. In this pic, top left it’s TGF and BB, and bottom left, it’s Kerrygold and Kate’s.

Then I cut the last piece of bread in half, and put a piece of butter on each after the bread had cooled. TGF and BB on top then Kerrygold and Kate’s. Yes, I know the pieces aren’t the same size. Remember, completely, utterly, and and highly unscientific! :rofl:

In order of eating them:

KATE’S - Has 78.6% butterfat content; from grass-fed cows, free of antibiotics and hormones. It was smooth, with a medium saltiness. (They specifically note that they use sea salt, so not sure if that makes a difference.)

KERRYGOLD - Has 82% butterfat content; from grass-fed cows, free of antibiotics and hormones. It was creamy, lower salt taste than Kate’s, but you knew it was there.

TRULY GRASS FED - Has 85% butterfat content; from 95% grass-fed cows, non-GMO, no antibiotics or hormones. It was very mild but creamy, with almost no saltiness, which surprised me. Was it because it was 3rd tasted? Don’t know.

BUTTER BOY - unknown fat content, but made by Rodolphe Le Meunier, a highly regarded cheesemaker in France (I will eventually splurge and buy his hand-churned butter, Beurre De Baratte, if I ever remember next time I’m in Whole Foods.) Since the minimum for French butter is 82 percent, but also down to 80% if salted butter, with 2% salt, I’ll just go with the 82%. This was truly grassy, and the saltiest of the four (crystallized, it seems, like a cheddar that has the salt crystallization, but their writeup says sea salt is used, so maybe it’s the slower hand-churned method of making this butter that doesn’t incorporate the salt as much as a mechanical manufacturing might?), and it had the most buttery mouthfeel out of all four.

So which was my favorite? For everyday use, such as sautéed vegetables, probably Kerrygold. Butter Boy is a specialty butter, in my opinion. It would be heaven in mashed potatoes. But I did love the slight grassiness and smooth mouthfeel of Butter Boy.

So. There you have my unscientific taste test.

9 Likes

Service-y!

1 Like

I agree with you about the Butter Boy. That said, I always, it seems, have some in the fridge.

1 Like

This picture reminds me of our fridge in college.

My roommate would eat sticks of butter. Just butter.

He was Keto before Keto.

2 Likes

:flushed::astonished::flushed::astonished::flushed::hushed::flushed::astonished::flushed::astonished::flushed::astonished::flushed::astonished:

1 Like

A friend of mine used to recount something similar, about her neighbor growing up, who would give her kids a stick of butter as an after school snack. I didn’t want to believe it, but I’m also sure it was true.

1 Like

My grandmother used to let my little sister eat margarine straight out of the tub. Kiddo thought it was a treat because my mom only ever bought butter!

2 Likes

Our big dog regularly empties the butter tray on the counter. She’s an animal. I’m not well trained enough to stop this problem.

3 Likes

Don’t knock some nice cold salted butter on its own till you try it.

1 Like