I don't like "X"

And I LOVE mayo in more foods I can count, but specifically with fries, having grown up near the Dutch/Belgian border :slight_smile:

(Don’t know how to quote, so copied and pasted)

I am Dutch…
Not easy not liking mayonaise and cheese
But luckily I do like herring, drop, bitterballen & Heineken :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My post is very confusing (reading it back now), but can’t edit (anymore)
Lemme try again

[Quote] And I LOVE mayo in more foods I can count, but specifically with fries, having grown up near the Dutch/Belgian border :slight_smile:[unquote]

My remark:
I am Dutch…
Not easy not liking mayonaise and cheese
But luckily I do like herring, drop, bitterballen & Heineken :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No worries. I got it the first time! I love herring, don’t know drop, bitterballen are just OK for me (but I will eat young or aged gouda by the pound), and I prefer jenever over Heineken :wink:

Something for everyone! :partying_face:

2 Likes

How do you feel about snert?

Love it, esp after ice skating (speed skates obviously)
My dad used to make big pots of it.
And I even make it here in the tropics whenever I can find celery

1 Like

I’m aging some young gouda I made!

What do you think about aging in a vacuum sealed bag?

Oh wait…we are talking about things we don’t like. :no_mouth:

10 Likes

Thread drift happens :wink:

I have no idea about aging cheese, but yours looks faboski!

3 Likes

My wife calls me “The Ultimate Consumer” (and some less savory things I won’t share here). There’s no food item I don’t like. I like them all. I also don’t have any “favorites”, which always frustrated my kids because they’d ask me about it, and expect that everyone should have a favorite.

That’s not to say I don’t like some things better than others, but there’s no food properly prepared (and I’m pretty forgiving on this) that I haven’t liked.

As a child I thought I hated liver and onions. That’s because my mother was a horrible cook, not because there was anything intrinsically wrong with liver and onions. Once I got a chance to try it in other-than-shoe-leather-fashion, I thought it was great. Ditto her lima beans, salmon patties, and many other foods. (Sorry, Ma - RIP). As a kid living in Podunk Village, USA, I had very limited exposure to foods other than just meat/taters (didn’t we have a thread on people who grew up thinking “La Choy” was Chinese cookery?). Once I joined the Army the food world kind of exploded for me and I never looked back.

Skimming through some of the replies here, and particularly those about aversions to strong flavored (to some people) veggies, I’ll add that I cannot taste phenylthiocarbamide at all. Apparently I don’t have the gene for it. I wonder if people who find veggies objectionable on a taste basis (as opposed to texture) are more likely to be capable of tasting phenylthiocarbamide?

2 Likes

That’s funny. Dick should have told have told her “But dear, the real name for asparagus is Spargel”.

4 Likes

Mom always told me it was “sparrow grass,”

3 Likes

What does it taste like?

LoL, I dunno! But people with the right (or perhaps, “wrong”) genes say it’s a very bitter tasting substance.

I was hoping you’d tell us which veg contain said substance, as it’s both too early in the morn for me AND I’m too lazy to peruse google :wink:

I’m already googling something else so took a quick detour to find that this compound does not show up in foods, but that people who can taste it[1] are also more able to detect bitter compounds in foods. And brassica family foods do have a number of compounds that people find bitter[2].

https://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/basics/ptc

[1] Also apparently this is not a binary “yes can taste” v. “nope can’t taste” but rather that those who can taste the compound range from finding it extremely bitter to only somewhat bitter.

[2] Wondering now - I’ve always thought that I rather liked a bitter edge in many foods, and wondered why so many others found it off-putting. Maybe it’s just because to me the bitterness is blunted by weak detection.

1 Like

I had to look myself. Apparently cabbage, broccoli, pepper and wine are included so I am not sensitive to that compound.

I am, however, sensitive to aldehydes–the compound that makes cilantro taste like soap to folks like me.

ETA: Not I “had to look” to verify the response from @CCE I happened to search before seeing his post.

2 Likes

I’m one of the lucky few who overcame the cilantro aversion.

6 Likes

Hi Kim - note the “studybuff” article appears to be wrong - university and NIH studies I skimmed all seem to agree that this compound (phenylthiocarbamide) does not naturally occur in foods. Then there’s the real goof where studybuff calls PTC a protein, when actually it’s a tiny compound (compared to proteins) and contains no amino acids.

I saw that phrase with "foods like cabbage… " reposted in several places and should have called it out above, but I got sidetracked trying to source the error. It looks like a bad machine translation from Portuguese of a small study done in Brazil where they were trying to link PTC sensitivity, normal weight, obesity, and dislike of red wine… then the aggregator-type websites somehow picked up this obscure study’s translation and started repeating it as one source for their PTC-info pages.

Going to cilantro - I can just barely perceive that kind of soapy flavor (or maybe it’s a sensation of slipperiness for me). One of our 4 kids is extremely averse to cilantro. When she was younger I wasn’t very aware of the genetic link, and powderized some dried cilantro thinking she wouldn’t notice if she couldn’t see it. Didn’t work - she noticed it right away. She’s fine with plain parsley though, so I just sub that if she’s eating the meal.

3 Likes

In our house it was “sparrow’s guts”. We were classy like that.

3 Likes

I can taste it, for sure.

And love it.

That’s why I will literally crave broccoli if I don’t have it for a couple of days.

It’s an addiction, unfortunately.

European here, went to Rabbit Hill Inn once on holidays touring New England a decade or so ago! Wonderful experience.

2 Likes