Hyper-regional pizza styles are a source of local pride

I find that to be a far more outrageous combination of toppings than, say, shrimp and broccoli, TBH.

Those are some bold choices :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I do, and be glad you don’t.

1 Like

Loren Estleman, City Walls (2023) – first two paragraphs:

"I sewed up the Dowling case in less than a day, and committed only one misdemeanor. That was the record.

"Fred Dowling had chiseled half a million from the credit union where he was treasurer, converted it to paper, and headed to Central America, but he got only as far as Cleveland; which if you wanted to make a joke of it was punishment in itself. I didn’t. You can’t get better pizza anywhere. "

3 Likes

What Makes Quad City-Style Pizza Totally One-Of-A-Kind? (msn.com)

Ah yes, molasses. Makes me think of my mom’s molasses cookies, which for some reason I never tried with mozzarella on top :face_with_spiral_eyes:

5 Likes
3 Likes

that distinguishing factor is French dressing,

Yeah, no.

3 Likes

I’m surprised it’s not bbq sauce or ranch dressing.

2 Likes

Why stop there? Just throw raspberry vinaigrette on your pizza. Or oyster sauce.

1 Like

Umm, that would be the perfect condiment for a shrimp & broccoli pizza.

Too soon?

3 Likes

I hate to knock it 'til I’ve tried it, but oyster sauce with mozzarella sounds pretty gaggy.

1 Like

No mozzarella. Silken tofu.

It has ceased to be a pizza and become Chinese food on a round piece of bread.

1 Like

You say that like it’s a bad thing, or that there are rules as to what, exactly, constitutes pizza :wink:

Cue the purists…

I’m not so much a purist as an advocate of clear language. If you call something a pizza, I have a set of expectations of what that means (I doubt I’m alone). And once a food gets this far from what most people expect a pizza to be, there’s no point in calling it a pizza unless your goal is to confuse people.

pizza with differently provenanced toppings aren’t exactly new, though

i mean - cpk with chicken, bacon, bbq sauce is kind of a cult thing

i’ve definitely seen ranch drizzled on

probably gochujang too

hot honey isn’t what anyone expected on a pizza, but also cultish now

i mean – i don’t personally want to each french dressing on my pizza. and i also don’t want pineapple on it. or an egg just because eggs are suddenly “sexy” when they’re runny (or worse “jammy”).

but it doesn’t seem new – confusing.

That’s not what I’m talking about, though. My first post in this series was about me finding French dressing on pizza undesirable. My most recent was about setting parameters for what can reasonably be called a pizza.

1 Like

i also find french dressing on pizza to be undesirable

probably because i find french dressing undesirable

now ranch or caesar in a little drizzle? maybe.

I once dipped pizza crust in ranch dressing, just to see. And now I have seen. I like ranch dressing on salad, though.

1 Like

Probably can’t hurt bad crust. There is so much bad crust out in the world. Also so much bad dressing. But two bads don’t negate each other, sadly.

Two bads make a worse.