Hyper-regional pizza styles are a source of local pride

South Shore of Massachusetts has something called a “bar pizza”. Not well known outside of this particular area of MA, although there are a couple of pizza places on the North Shore that offer it. But the best known are from Town Spa Pizza in Stoughton, Poopsies in Pembroke, and the Lynwood Cafe in Randolph.

10" pie, cooked in a 1"x10" straight-sided pan, can be shared or eaten by yourself. Crunchy but flaky thin crust because of the butter/oil on the bottom of the crust (it sort of fries the dough on the bottom), basic toppings (although some places are branching out to different toppings), and topped with cheddar, sometimes with added mozz.

I’ve not had it, but they always get rave reviews.

3 Likes

We have bar pies in Manhattan, but they’re just regular single serving pizzas. Served in bars.

I’m sure there’s a scallion pancake pizza somewhere.

Here we go.

Then I found this.

I think Char Siu could be better on a Hawaiian pizza than bacon or ham.

1 Like

And here, proving my point, is a quote from your first link:

I will stand steadfast by the rule that ALL pizzas (save for dessert ones) need a cheese of some sort on, or it’s just not a pizza…

1 Like

Uh-oh. No Neapolitan marinara for YOU! :joy:

1 Like

I don’t really agree with that myself! Plenty of Neapolitan pizzas joints near me skip the cheese on some pizzas.

The flatbread (which could be 3 mm thick or 3 inches thick, and containing complex carb part, are what makes pizza pizza for me. I still haven’t tried cauliflower crust pizza. I’m glad it exists for other people, but I’m not keen to order it.

Not to mention all of the Indian pizzerias out here in the Bay Area.

1 Like

We have a lot in urban parts of Canada, too!

I’ve tried a chain called Red Swan that’s pretty good.

My first experience with a hybrid Indian pizza was at a chain restaurant in Calgary in 2002. It was a tandoori chicken pizza with a raita drizzle and some mozzarella, at a restaurant called Joey Tomato back then, which is now a chain across Canada called Joey. I was wowed by that tandoori pizza when I was 28. :smiley: I guess it’s sort of at the Cheesecake Factory level for Canadian chains.f

Sounds a bit like the Chicago tavern-style, also originally served as a bar snack to keep people ordering more beer! https://www.bonappetit.com/story/real-chicago-pizza-tavern-style

1 Like