Hyper-regional pizza styles are a source of local pride

“The American Take On Sicilian Pizza“

2 Likes

Proper Sicilian style pizza (American) should have the crust proofed and baked before the toppings are put on. Then it is light and airy not heavy with uncooked dough.

2 Likes

You are correct. The “neighborhood” slice joints do it this way.

This is a regional style from Sicily that I don’t think has been mentioned. It’s called Faccia de Vecchia (or Faccia DiVecchia? by the place here in Houston), a variety of sfinciuni. The name means ‘Old Woman’s Face.’ I’ve had this before and to be honest was underwhelmed at the time but have recently been thinking about it and may be going back to try it again.

It’s a thick bread (some recipes online call for starting with a loaf of Italian bread), topped with sausage, onion and peppers, maybe a hint of tomato and cheese, and herbs.

Here are a couple of pictures from Yelp:

A photo at Mandola

Faccia da vecchia!!!    Simply amazing!!!

Some pics online from other purveyors are covered with a more typical red sauce and cheese.

Its offered as an appetizer ($16) or side ($6.39) at Mandola’s Deli near UofH. The Mandola’s are Restaurant Royalty in Houston and the menu had a special section devoted to this previously, claiming it was an old family recipe, of course.

6 Likes

Another curated list (ahem):

Some not mentioned above, I think - Buffalo, Rhode Island Bakery Pie, Pizzazz, Cubano, Colorado…

I thought Colorado was going to include Mountain Oysters, but nooooo.

Yes, Altoona is mentioned. Stop at # 11 on the list to avoid exposure.

3 Likes

That’s a pizza strip to us Rhode Islanders. :grinning:

4 Likes

Once upon a time, I was strictly a traditionalist when ordering pizza…, but… the pizza in the box looks very good to me.

1 Like

Surprised not to see N.E. PA represented here!
Old Forge, PA, which is “The Pizza Capital of the World" (self proclaimed), style and there is an closely related style " Sicilian Pan Fried Pizza".
My Parents grew up in Scranton so I grew up eating it. Pizza up there is pretty unique and delicious!
The Hyperlink above links to NEPA Pizza Review. The guy has a great site about Pizza

3 Likes

Pittston!
The center of the known universe,.
at least as far as my friend Joe believes.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

I made several trips to Old Forge 2011-2013. The first time I tried Old Forge pizza was the best one. I found it curious and enticing, although I would not call it delicious. After that attempt, the downhill slope was dramatic.

I did find the room-temperature pizza at Senape’s bakery interesting and acceptable.

The only thing I ate in the area that was Chow-worthy was the ice cream at Manning’s Dairy.

To each their own.

Arcaro and Genell’s Red and White Pizza

6 Likes

(Not really sure this belongs in this thread - these days bbq chicken or brisket is probably offered in many regions???)

3 Likes

I don’t think so.
Definitely no brisket pizza in my neighborhood.
Bbq chicken, yes, but it isn’t fresh off the grill.
More than likely a prepackaged bunch of strips with grill marks, probably from Sysco.
An artisan/inventive pizza place is something we’re missing here at my end of our valley.

1 Like

Many bbq pizzas to be had all over nowadays. Not a regional style.

I love bbq enough to know the best doesn’t need sauce. It’s a crutch. The only great bbq pizza I’ve had was at John Wills’ in Memphis, regular pizza using seriously great bbq chopped pork as a topping. No bbq sauce involved. His best dish, though, was a half n half, half a plate of spaghetti with red sauce and half a plate of chopped pork.

2 Likes

So… Moto is funny. You’re right that at the real locations, there is typically months-long wait lists for takeout! Some rumors that if you get to one of the locations at opening, you can order a to go on the spot. In May, they opened a window at the baseball stadium and the one chance I had to try it, they closed the line while I was in it. They’d turned out 1000 pizzas in the opening hour and were out of dough. Now that means that the pizza is good AND it is super hyped up. I’m looking forward to trying it the next time we see the Mariners play. It’s too far a drive for us to go for the pizza alone.

1 Like

https://x.com/CraigBaird/status/1752782946359247266

6 Likes

Not sure I know what Buffalo style is, or Philadelphia style either.
Interesting.
Edit:

1 Like

Well that sentence pretty well tells you everything, right? Actually, sounds pretty good to me.

But now what is Swedish pizza? Are those bananas? Supersized cashew pieces?? (I’m pretty sure bananas don’t grow well in Sweden).

Columbus style pizza is the perfect for pepperoni lovers

(image from article)

1 Like

Quoting from the article: Perhaps the most infamous of Swedish pizzas, what is often called the Africana includes bananas, curry powder, peanuts, and chicken or ham.

5 Likes