Husband says he wants to do Montreal and Quebec City for 8 days next Aug/Sept for our family vacation.

I had a great meal at Le Filet, I’ll hit it the next time I go.

1 Like

It wasn’t the greatest trip ever, no.

1 Like

Let’s coordinate! Spring is the perfect time for Montreal.

1 Like

Let me sort out my trip to Spain first :smiley:

3 Likes

I had one memorable visit, to a chocolate show, with the vivacious moh and her husband many years ago. I was supposed to meet them again with a sweetbread pithivier I was going to make, and she was going to provide the wine, but sadly she passed away soon after, at 40, at the height of a brilliant career in ophthalmology.

6 Likes

Yes, I remember when she passed away. She was a lovely person.

I didn’t meet her in person. She had helped me plan a visit to Winnipeg.

I learned about moh too late. I loved that she played hockey, along with everything else she did. Plus she was Korean. So almost like a sister to me.

5 Likes

Looks like Montreal is well-covered.

For Quebec City, here is our report from an April weekend.

3 Likes

You must have been in an alternate Montreal. I found it shockingly cheap especially after the exchange rate. The produce available at Jean Talon was staggeringly better than what I find in farmers markets in the US and the cost was a fraction of what it would be home. The quality of restaurant meals was similarly much cheaper for equal quality.

Your instinct was right on that.

It doesn’t feel American at all. All the signs are in French. The québécois can get defensive about their culture and language. Their ability to shift between English and French is remarkable. You should absolutely go. It’s very different than the US and English speaking Canada. If you have time fly to Montréal and rent a car and see how far east you can go.

6 Likes

We are considering a cruise from Quebec city to Boston fall 2024. We will spend 3 days on QC before and 2-3 in boston. Looking forward to QC.

1 Like

I am starting to get “into it”. Thanks all!

1 Like

@shrinkrap Linking a few recent threads below.

WIth 8 late summer / fall days, you may want to consider a day trip to wine country / eastern townships – its only a 45 min drive, pretty, and quaint. Not just wine either - cider, distilleries, more.

If you’re in an AirBNB, the markets will be fun to explore (even if you’re at a hotel, you can pick up snacks or a picnic) – Adonis, Atwater, etc.

Series of reports from Charles

1 Like

What service! Thank you so much!

1 Like

If you clink the link where I originally said “search”, that’s the montreal / Quebec board — there are more threads :joy:

I’ll be going again next year too - I’m usually there every year to visit family, but I haven’t been back since COVID.

1 Like

I did that! Your hard work is not wasted!

St Hubert Chicken, which is a roast chicken chain, something like Boston Market, but better, with locations all over Quebec.

https://www.st-hubert.com/en.html

Chalet BBQ’s Rotisserie chicken in Montreal, since 1944

I don’t think I have ever ordered fried chicken in Montreal because if I order chicken, it’s always Montreal rotisserie chicken or Portuguese churrasco chicken!

I usually visit Romados for Portuguese chicken

Pikliz has Haitian fried chicken. I have not tried it yet! https://www.restaurantpikliz.com/menu

If you’re in Montreal, I say, do a small Quebec-based fried chicken chain. Olivia’s! I have not tried it yet.

1 Like

Chalet Bar-B-Q is the absolute benchmark for rotisserie chicken in Montreal. Hole-in-the-wall type of place that’s existed for many decades for good reason. My personal favourite.

2 Likes

Bonjour, hi. I visited Montreal back in 2018 and had some great meals there:

I also went in August (hot, humid, rainy at times) and stayed in the Plateau neighborhood. Getting around wasn’t too bad with the metro and the bus. I think I took Uber a few times too. Like others have mentioned, it doesn’t feel too “American” at all, which makes sense as it is in (French) Canada.

Things other than food (gasp)
Hiking up Mount Royal in the rain was an experience. There are some nice views of the city at the top at the lookout up there.
The Montreal Botanical Garden, as others have mentioned.
The Montreal Olympic Park, where the 1976 Summer Olympics were held, is right next to the Botanical Garden
In Old Montreal, the Notre-Dame Basilica of Montréal is worth seeing. The Queen of Canada herself - Celine Dion - got married there.

If you’re into beer check out Dieu du Ciel in Mile End.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Thanks!