Huge surprise!! ZERO response to request for Barcelona Michelin 1* recommendation.

As one of the most popular foodie destinations in Europe, I was expecting to see quite a bit of feedback from my posting. However, after 4 days, I am at a loss to see zero feedback on my thread??!!

I would have responded but the request for traditional or Basque 1 star stumped me. But Berasategi has a 1 star Basque, ORIO, in the Monumental Hotel. His LASARTE is a 2- star.

1 Like

I don’t really understand why people are so focused on michelin star restaurants. Lots of great food in Barcelona.

13 Likes

You get what you get and you don’t get upset.

5 Likes

Other than a possible visit to Disfrutar many years ago, I don’t have much experience with upscale Barcelona restaurants, so I can’t offer any suggestions there. I get the impression you are not really surprised by the limited response, and and am curious about whether you have a theory about it.

1 Like

There are some great Repsol sun or recommended restaurants in Barcelona as well. Here are the Repsol suns, just scroll down to Catalunya.

2 Likes

If it just has to be a 1 Michelin star for trad catalán (not Basque) I would head to Mont Bar with 1 star. The owners hail from the Val d’Aran. Can’t get me trad catalán than that.

1 Like

Maribel beat me to it!
Mont bar was a “must” for us (and walking distance from our regular hotel) - except it was NOT a 1 star when I was there last year - just promoted this year. So can’t honestly recommend it as a ‘star’ - just an excellent place. And I think you commented on that meal [posted on AmuseGirl’s media platform].
But Charles, I think you asked “the impossible” - you wanted a 1 star that was traditional - and nearly all 1 stars (by their nature) are either ‘newer’ (with a chef trying to make her name) or places which have (typically, but not always) had a succession of chefs. Many (? most) chefs want to develop further and will not be satisfied continuing to produce traditional recipes, without adding their own ‘personalities’. So off they go to a new challenge. And Barcelona - both historically and currently (post Covid) has a revolutionary culture (OK maybe creative is a better description) that really doesn’t encourage leaving things as they were.
And congratulations on getting into Disfrutar - my favourite restaurant in the world - I’ve been 5 times and never had a repeated dish. Now, impossible to get a reservation!

2 Likes

Mont Bar has trended a bit more contemporary with more international flavors in the past year (as a causaul persual of the online menu will note). For this kind of cuisine that I think the OP is after, I prefer Succulent in the Raval.

When is this dinner you would like to book? I am booked in to Hisop on Friday night and will report back. You could look at the menu, which looks both “traditional–ish” and delicious. I read a recent review on another blog (along with pictures) that sounded terrific (why I am going when “traditional” is not always my thing).

Particularly, pictures of “Scorpionfish ‘a la press’ with potatoes” and “rabbit with truffle and ‘pilota’ brioche” main courses looked particularly appealing to me, if the very long and also very appealing (and good value) tasting menu seemed like too much for me. It is Catalan, not Basque (I also did not understand your question).

I had an unfortunate experience as a solo diner at Mont Bar which left a bad taste in my mouth, and I have not returned. Rarely do I have a bad experience as a solo diner, and this was a first for me in Barcelona, but I also did not enjoy my food (much less the meal, as I was put facing a corner by myself.

Agree also with @tigerjohn that Suculent is a delicious option, and if you are not going to eat through the tasting menu (as you have a long one for lunch the next day) there are good and many choices. I particularly enjoyed the duck croquette, Red prawn ceviche and steak tartare over grilled bone marrow when I was there a year ago. I toyed with going back there, and still may (wait listed for a Tuesday night reservation).

Agree with many of the posters here, though…Stars so unnecessary to enjoying incredible, creative food in Barcelona.

2 Likes

Hello Alan!
Happy Holidays!
FYI, I’m still recovering from my second Covid in 3 months!!
My kids had eaten in Mont Bar during their last visit so wanted to try something new.
Since we’ll be eating at 3* M. Berasategui in SS and 2* Disfruta in Barcelona. For comparison, might as well add a 1* to our eat list on top of all the Asador, Tapas and Pintxos places.
Based on social media postings, it looks like HISOP offers more traditional and less ’ funky 'food?!

Estufarian,
You said it best! And I haven’t returned to Mont Bar since it received its star, and tigerjohn is also correct now that I looked at the current menu. Succulent would be a better bet, I now agree.
With the Michelin star come more innovative dishes, which in our experience doesn’t necessarily hold with Repsol suns. Our favorite 1 Repsol sun, at least in Madrid remains as traditional as before.

1 Like

This guide is most helpful! Thank you so much!
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Decided to pick ’ HISOP '. It is one of only 3 - 4 ‘2 Soles’ in Barcelona on this guide that opens on Monday …the other 2 Soles are all 2* and up! And the price of the tasting menu is ’ unreal '!!
Thanks again!