Hudson Valley Restaurant Week - Spring 2018 - March 12-25

Not getting to Valley, wasn’t thrilled with their menu.

Going to Fin & Brew tonight, The Cookery on Saturday and Kitchen Sink on Sunday, assuming we’re still hungry by then.

BTW I heard from the chef at Monteverde on Instagram asking how our meal was and apologizing for not coming out on Saturday. He said that it was busier than normal so he did not have a chance (I can confirm that food was very slow coming out, although compared to most restaurants it really wasn’t that busy). I did not respond and probably won’t, especially since I’d ask about the “send you something special” comment which also did not happen (of course, if the experience had been better it wouldn’t have mattered).

[quote=“MisterBill, post:41, topic:12193”]
Cookery on Saturday

What time will you be at The Cookery? I’m going Saturday too,

6:30, party of 6. You?

We made the reservations too late -5:15 party of 4. We should still be there by then. I’ll look for a at 6:30. Message me what you look like!

How was the Cookery @winecountrygirl and @MisterBill ?

It was very good. The only menu offered was HVRW menu and it really was most of their regular stuff - so it was a large choice. But, no bone marrow pasta! I will say the appetizers, for me, are the best part. We shared the bread and butter, potatoes (sigh), the meatballs and the donut. The donut was probably my least favorite - I loved the smoked guanciale but there was very little meat on a very large donut. The house made butter served with the slightly burnt chunks of what may have been sourdough bread was amazing - sweet and salty and delicious.

For mains DH had the strip steak which was great as the last time, I had the chicken because I saw a picture of it on their facebook page and it looked great. This was fine but nothing special, simply brined and not enough crispy skin. It was served with smoked cabbage marmalade that I found a bit too smokey. The other couple had the market fish which was cod, and her husband had the osso bucco, which he devoured. I must say I was surprised that the steak was on the restaurant week menu. I usually don’t participate in restaurant week because of the limited menus - this menu was not limited except for one or two items that were not there.

For dessert we had one of each of the four offered - Sticky date cake, stickabutta (sigh again) Chocolate polenta and what was supposed to be vanilla ice cream but I asked about the pudding and the waiter brought us one (sigh, sigh, sigh).

Of course the highlight was meeting @MisterBill and the Bill family. I guess we have “known” each other through CH and here for a long time. It was a great addition to a nice evening. He was to late for the pudding so I was able to save him a very small piece from ours!

I forgot to mention the house made habanero infused tequila that DH had last night. It was not that hot but very tasty!

I would just like to add that the table next to us - a party of 6 - got the suckling pig dinner which they had ordered ahead of time. It looked really good!pig

After
pig%20after

2 Likes

I guess I also have to say that my highlight was meeting Gwenn :smile: . Seriously, it was great meeting you and your husband and friends and thanks for the taste of pudding!

I’d also say that the meal was very good. I was disappointed at the start because when we arrived, the canned pudding was listed on the specials blackboard. However, by the time our table was vacated and we were seated and got to place our order, it had disappeared. I’ve run into this before, and I really should have tried to get them to hold one for me when I saw it up there, but I got lulled into a false sense of security. I was thrilled to have Gwenn bring me over a small but generous portion (after I told her that I had missed out on it) to try and it was excellent!

Anyway, I had the mozzarella appetizer and while it was good, their quality control left something to be desired. The slices of cheese seemed to be smaller than in the past (and certainly smaller than in photos I’ve seen them post) and the bread was just two corner chunks rather than slices I’ve had in the past (which work much better for eating with the cheese). I really should have complained and had them bring me actual slices. My wife had the eggplant and it was OK, tasted kind of like baba ganoush. Others at the table had the buttery salty potatoes (excellent, as always) and a special salad of watercress and other greens that was huge and very tasty. I was disappointed that they did not have the chocolate chicken liver pate appetizer that they had as a special last time (and which is now on the regular menu).

For entrees, I had the cod and it was excellent. In the past they’ve always served branzino as the market fish and I thought this was better and a larger portion. The red pepper sauce was excellent and made me wish that they served bread with the meal (and not just as an appetizer choice). My wife and daughter had the steak and it was quite large, a 12 ounce NY strip. Others at the table had the radiatore with lamb, chicken and osso bucco. I did not try any of them but they were apparently good.

For dessert, since I had missed out on the pudding chomeur, I got the chocolate polenta, which was excellent. My wife had the Stickabutta pie which was great as usual. My daughter had a special of some sort of dried fruit pie; I’m thinking the name was pastica or something like that (I can’t find anything in Google). She wasn’t particularly happy with it, said it would have been better warm. I was really disappointed that the Stickabutta shake that they listed on their website HVRW menu was not on the menu at the restaurant.

Going back to the quality control issue, one person at our table had not gotten their dessert, so we told our server that we were missing a Stickabutta pie and she went to get it for us. Before she returned, we realized that the person who had ordered the date cake had been given the pie instead, but when the server delivered the extra slice and we told her our mistake she told us we could keep it. However, it was literally half the size of the other pieces that we’d gotten. Since it was free, I did not say anything but if it had been delivered as my dessert I would not have been happy.

Anyway, it was a very good meal. The Cookery always does a great job for HVRW but I’m thinking that Saturday night is not the best night to go there if you want to get specials (although they did have a few).

It was great meeting you too and you are very welcome! Wish it could have been more. It’s funny, we could not see the special board from our little table and I just happened to ask about it and the waiter brought it.