Hudson Valley Restaurant Week - Spring 2017 - March 6-19

Little Drunken Chef’s menu is up - https://www.valleytable.com/sites/default/files/DrunkenChefLDs17.pdf

Interesting menu and $6 drink specials at dinner ($5 for lunch).

I’m assuming this is related to all the other “Little” places in Mt. Kisco?

1 Like

Yes, it’s her restaurant across the street (next door to or a couple of doors down from Cafe of Love). More of a tapas place, so the RW menu is a little strange since some of the entrees aren’t even on the regular menu (just paella).

Drumroll… HVRW has begun… I know Bill said he’d be away for a week but who else will be partaking?

I’m excited for the Cookery this weekend. Their menu is up on their website and I’ve got my eye on the cheese curds and pork osso bucco…

https://www.thecookeryrestaurant.com/hvrw-dinner-menu/

How did it go? I am back and trying to figure out where to go tonight, since it looks like much of the week will be snowed out (although I just checked the forecast for next Saturday and maybe we’ll actually be able to get to Valley). Wanted to stay local, so I made a reservation at Dish in Mahopac, but some OT reviews aren’t great. Still wanted to get to Clock Tower Grill in Brewster, they have a bad write-up as well, although in both cases other reviews were good. I’ve even been considering Traditions 118 in Somers since their menu isn’t bad and reviews are good. But I can’t bring myself to do it.

Purdy’s Farmer & the Fish’s menu did not excite me. Only shellfish and beef, neither of which I ate. No normal fish entree, surprising (and disappointing).

Decisions, decisions…

If only Valley were open for dinner on Sunday!

IMHO Traditions is awful! We ate there once and the on,y part I remember, besides the amateurish service, was the coconut shrimp with raspberry sauce - more like raspberry jam. Really disliked it. Hope you get to Valley.

Hope you enjoyed your vacation, Bill. We had dinner at the Cookery last night. It was good but not quite as fantastic as I remember from last time but I was so hungry that I think I just ordered poorly. My husband got the cheese curds with the spicy honey which I wish I’d gotten. For some reason I got the salad which was fine but not exciting. My fault though… who would order the salad off that list of appetizers? For entrees my husband’s pork osso bucco with polenta was a huge portion of tender pork and complemented well by a pear compote of some sort. The lamb bolognese was a little light on the lamb but delicious although I liked it better when they did it with a different shape (it now comes with pappardelle-- I seem to remember it being radiatore in the past). Desserts are never their strong suit but the donut ice cream sandwich was very very sweet but tasty. My husband ordered a piece of cake that when translated from the Italian revealed it is made with pig’s blood? Whatever it was it had some strange savory herbs on top-- I think I recognized pieces of bay leaf-- and it just didn’t work for me. He loved it though. Unchanged from last time is their weak, weak, weak cocktails. Seems uncharacteristic given the hard-partying type of atmosphere. I’d stick with wine or beer only from now on there. With the snow I doubt we’ll get anywhere else although I’ve been hankering to return to Village Social so maybe we’ll give that a go on Friday.

I’m really disappointed to hear that they stopped using radiatore for the lamb Bolognese. It was the perfect shape for that type of sauce.

Haha I’m so glad you understand. I remarked to my husband that I was disappointed about the shape and he didn’t quite seem to understand. :slight_smile: I don’t know if this is a permanent change or just for the HVRW menu. Maybe pappardelle is cheaper? But yeah, radiatore is definitely better with the ragu!!

1 Like

We’re definitely getting to Valley. If there is snow forecast for Saturday, we’ll go Thursday or Friday.

We ended up at Dish in Mahopac tonight. It was excellent! We had not been there since they expanded and they did a really nice job with it. I started with crispy brussel sprouts and my wife had the lobster bisque. For entrees, my wife had a ribeye steak that came with truffled fries and an arugula salad. I had the trout with red quinoa. For dessert, my wife had the carrot cake and I had the creme brulee. All of the food was excellent. I’ve always felt that Peter Kelly’s creme brulee was the best I’ve ever had, but I had to say that this was as good, really smooth with a nice crisp top. The online menu said it was supposed to be lavender flavored, but I didn’t taste it. My wife said the carrot cake was as good or better than Peter Kelly’s.

The portions weren’t huge but it was definitely enough to leave us full at the end of dinner. Certainly not tiny like one Opentable reviewer said.

My only complaint is that the suggest tip amounts printed on the receipt were 20%, 28% and 35%. I think that’s a bit high, even for HVRW. Oh, and the fries could have been hotter.

Thanks. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I’d been away this week!!!

When I can’t figure which appetizer to order at The Cookery, I get the mozzarella, since it’s always good. My wife always gets the buttery salty potatoes.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ve always wondered about this place . We meant to try it with the original owners but glad to see it’s good. I’ll put it on our list!

Looks like a great meal.

We usually tip 30% for RW. I figure we are getting a discounted meal so we tip on what the meal would’ve normally cost.

I just looked at Dish’s menu. It looks great! Are there new owners? This menu is nothing like the menu I looked at about a year ago. That menu had nothing interesting on it, except rosti potatoes (love them) and this has some very nice items!

Same owner as a year ago. I forget the timeline but the original owner (Hannah, who I think was on Chopped) left and a couple took over but the guy (who was the chef) died, and then I think Hannah came back briefly (I could be wrong) and then sold to the current owner Peter (who I think worked there originally). BTW the HVRW menu is supposed to change today but it hasn’t been updated yet. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re closed due to the snow. I’d consider going back a second time if it looks good again, since it’s so close to me.

We hadn’t been there in a while and I’m kind of embarrassed that I was second guessing myself on Sunday when we were trying to decide where to eat.

Thanks! That’s right, Hannah. It was supposed to have been vet good then too. I might be thinking of a menu older than that then. We are definitely going to give it a try now!

Yes, it was really good under Hannah. Previous HVRW menus have not been that great, I recall they had a burger one time. But this stuff was straight off their normal menu. Maybe the steak would have been thicker if we’d paid $34 for it, but it was certainly an ample portion.

Did anyone get anywhere else for HVRW? With the snow and its aftermath we didn’t venture anywhere else.

Checking out Dish tonight. They had a porcini rubbed steak on the menu DH needed to try! I’ll report back.

Looking forward to hearing your review! I believe that was the steak my wife had on the HVRW menu.

I had considered going back there a second time for restaurant week but they never changed their menu due to the snow storm that week.

1 Like