Hudson Valley Restaurant Week - Spring 2017 - March 6-19

The restaurant list isn’t up yet, but I figured I’d mention that Hudson Valley Restaurant Week is coming up again in March. The list isn’t up yet so we don’t know exactly who will be participating, but you can be sure that the CIA and X2O/Restaurant X will be and their reservations are open. I got lucky and checked Opentable for American Bounty reservations just as they opened for the 2nd Saturday night and got my table, but that was a week ago.

Will be interesting to see if North and Campagna make a return. They did not participate in the fall. Probably more likely for North since they were in the process of changing chefs in November.

From last time, I really enjoyed Valley at The Garrison (twice!). Yefsi, the new Greek place in Eastchester was also a pleasant surprise.

I committed a major faux pax and booked a cruise for the first week of HVRW so I will only be participating one week this time around. Probably just as well since I do tend to overdo it.

We did not enjoy American Bounty at all when we went in May. I know it gets a lot of love here, but not from me ;-). We do love Valley though. [quote=“MisterBill, post:1, topic:8098”]
I committed a major faux pax and booked a cruise for the first week of HVRW so I will only be participating one week this time around.
[/quote]

LOL - you are the HVRW king!!

Did you go for lunch or dinner? The instructors and menu are different. And did you not like the food, or the service, or everything? We had both lunch and dinner there for HVRW last March and enjoyed both, although the lunch menu doesn’t look as good this time as it did then (and I missed reservations in the fall). Obviously the service and food are only as good as that sessions students are, although we haven’t had problems with that, either. I could see being more tolerant of any problems at HVRW prices than at regular price.

Here is my write up from the visit. It was a general feeling of Disney World. I do agree, I would have been much more tolerant at HVRW prices, though if I were to go up that far I’d hit Petit Bistro in Rhinebeck!

So, the restaurant list is posted. Of note (to me), North and Campagna are still not on the list. Little Drunken Chef in Mt. Kisco is participating, I think for the first time.

And they’ve raised the prices – $22.95 for lunch (was $20.95) and $32.95 for dinner (was $29.95).

https://www.valleytable.com/hvrw/restaurants

Warning: be sure to check with the restaurant before making a Friday/Saturday reservation to make sure they’re participating those days. The days listed for each restaurant on the website seem to have many errors (as usual).

I think we’re gonna have to do the Cookery again. It was so fantastic last time. Huge selection and no skimping on portions.

I didn’t enjoy The Cookery as much last time as in the past, but I think part of it had to do with going on a Saturday night when it was ridiculously noisy. We’d never been on Saturday before and it hadn’t been as loud. Also I think they were out of the dessert that I wanted and didn’t have a spicy bean appetizer that had been on the website HVRW menu, yet the server claimed they hadn’t had it for a while (not that the fresh mozzarella is bad).

They do a nice job on HVRW, basically the whole menu plus specials.

Yes, it does get noisy. I think we also went on a Saturday night. Going there feels like a party. Their desserts are not their strong point but I love all the choices for each course. Going to make my reservation now!!

I just got Valley’s menu from James Brown. As usual, it looks great. I’m cancelling my American Bounty reservation and will go here instead. It’s more convenient for my kids who are coming from Manhattan and Stamford.

Hudson Valley Restaurant Week Menu 2017
March 6th – 19th, 2017

First Course

Local Baby Green Salad
Fig & Balsamic Vinaigrette, Croutons, Herbs

White Bean & Escarole Soup
Crispy Pancetta, Young Parsley, Garlic confit

House Made Pasta
Tomato Sauce, Parmesan, Whipped Ricotta, Baby Basil

Long Island Fluke Crudo
Avocado, Scallion, Soy

Main Course

Braised Short Rib of Beef
Crispy Potatoes, Grainy Mustard & Veal Jus

Crispy Long Island Skate Wing
Soy Marinated Mushrooms, Bok Choi, White Miso

Butternut Squash Risotto
Parmesan, Poached Farm Egg, Chives

Long Island Duck Breast
Baby Kale, Pomegranate & Duck Broth

Desserts

Local Artisanal Cheese Plate
Fig & Balsamic Ice Cream, Grilled Baguette, Grapes & Nuts

Meyer Lemon Tart
Mascarpone, Pomegranate, Dried Blueberries

Dark Chocolate Cookie Sandwich
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream, Dulce de Leche

House Made Ice Cream & Sorbets
Daily Selection

$32.95 Per Person/ 3-Course Meal w House Made Breads & Vermont Butter

ITEMS SUBJECT TO CHANGE UPON AVAILABILITY
GRATUITY, BEVERAGES & TAX NOT INCLUDED
NO MENU SUBSTITUTIONS PLEASE

Executive Chef - Vincent Mocarski
Pastry Chef – Kirstie Castellano

BTW for anyone up north (or willing to drive there), the menu from Redwood in Kingston looks really good. I don’t know anything about the place.

https://www.valleytable.com/sites/default/files/Redwood_Dinner%20Menu.pdf

Wow, sounds like a great menu. What days do they offer it?

Assuming you’re asking about Valley, they’re only open Thursday-Saturday.

For Redwood, the HVRW site claims it’s 7 days a week, so I’d contact the restaurant to verify weekend availability.

He sent it to me too. Guess I’m not special :smiley:

We’re equally special!

I’ll be there the second Saturday night. See you there?

I think we’ll try Sunday brunch this time. I actually wanted to do it last time, but they were closed a couple of the days for private parties. They have reservations available for the 2nd Sunday, so I made one. I’ll see if they cancel it on me.

Unfortunately, we have plans both of those Saturdays. On the 18th we are actually going to Cherch Midi in NYC - saw it on Mike Colemecco’s show and can’t stop thinking about it.

More menus are posted on the HVRW site. Purdy’s Farmer & The Fish is doing dinner Monday-Thursday this year. In the past they only did lunch. Their menu isn’t posted yet but they claimed it would be when I messaged them via FB a few days ago. I’ve never tried them but would like to.

Farmer and the Fish is in a great old building. We weren’t blown away by the food but it was an enjoyable meal. I’d be curious about it for RW but we won’t be able to make it up there on a weeknight. I’m sure we can count on you to report back! :slight_smile:

We used to go there all the time when it was John Michael’s. Haven’t been since it switched over (or, I believe, in any of its previous incarnations).

We have never eaten dinner there, but during the power outages of hurricane Sandy, since they had a generator they opened for breakfast for the people in the area. I hear its very noisy and I hear mixed things about the food.