How would you "American-ize" a dish?

If you come back to DC there are at least two of us nearby, me in Annapolis and I think @bmorecupcake in Baltimore. My last attempt at a gathering in Western Florida came to naught but I shan’t stop trying.

I’m not much of a dessert person. I agree with you that cobbler is something very special. German roots, right? As you say, many cultures have embraced foods from elsewhere and made them their own. Tomatoes in Italy come to mind. Peppers across the world.

2 Likes

I’m going to say the solution is to go with Regional American oyakodons.

Buffalo Oyakondon, drizzle of wing sauce and crumble of blue cheese.

Sonoran Oyakodon, bacon bits, chopped avocado and a dollop of refried beans.

Midwest Oyakodon: Durkee fried onions and a couple tater tots on top.

New England Oyakodon, use lobster instead of chicken.

Miami Cubano Oyakodon, add some chopped ham, roast pork, shredded swiss and a squirt of mustard.

Colorado Oyakodon, add a dollop of green chile

And so on …

3 Likes

In my experience of visiting the country with some regularity since 1980, a couple of things come to mind that differentiate American and European flavour profiles.

First, it will be sweeter. Not necessarily dramatically so but enough to notice. And, towards the casual end of food, there will be cheese - usually the tasteless type - added to preparations presumably for its meltiness (certainly not for flavour).

It is, of course, wrong to generalise. I am a massive fan of seafood dishes I’ve eaten in various New England dishes, where there is the simplest of preparations that allow the flavour of the fish to come through. It puts our efforts to shame, even though we live on this small island where none of us lives more than 75 miles from the sea.

5 Likes

Will definitely let you know if I come back to DC. Let me know if you’re planning to visit Toronto. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Of course. But I think this is more about throwing ideas around for “Americanizing” in a transparently stereotypical way. Like “Chinese chicken salad” with almonds and chow mein noodles. I like your idea about creating regional versions of the OP’s recipe.

1 Like

I realize that.

I thought the OP might want some American flavours that might taste good in an Oyakodon, rather than some sarcastic suggestions about something too sweet or processed.

On the topic of dollop of Ranch.

I realise America has some obsessed Ranch lovers, but I would bet a larger number of Americans would dislike a dollop of Ranch showing up on their Oyakodon.

And a dollop of Mayo? That sounds Belgian or Dutch to me.

I can’t think of one flavour that represents all of America. Apple pie ?

Of course, Canadians are also really good at apple pie, too. Despite the saying. :slight_smile:

1 Like

We have not used this since our first Christmas together in 1972.

The classic accompaniment to Christmas Pudding is a sweetened white sauce (often flavoured with brandy). Back in 1972, we didnt know much about cooking so bought a packet of the mix. No we didnt read the packet instructions - you just mix it into milk, don’t ya. If we had the packet, then we would have known that there is also an onion flavoured white sauce! And, no, it did not enhance the Christmas Day experience.

By the by, onion white sauce is the traditional accompaniment to lamb during the winter months when mint isnt available.

3 Likes

As are we Britons. Presumably early settlers to both America and Canada took the idea of pies with them from Britain. Our earliest recipe for apple pie dates to 1381.

3 Likes

People (no one I know, but apparently they exist) put ranch dressing on pizza. And my comment - the first in this thread - wasn’t sarcastic. I legit think cheese would work.

1 Like

True! We used to order a spicy Buffalo chicken pizza at a local restaurant, which originally came with a drizzle of crema (rich dairy). The restaurant then changed hands and the drizzle became ranch dressing. Not our thing.

1 Like

These are really good ideas, thank you.

I have to ask, what makes a Hamburger Helper/RiceARoni, etc “German” or “Polish”?

1 Like

Oh, I invited both humor and serious posts – I love to laugh.

In the end, this particular video went on longer than I wanted, so I went with a humor for the “Super America Don”. In Japan McD’s sells the Eguchi ( a pun) which is basically a cheeseburger with egg. I have a closing shot of dropping that on a bowl of rice.

Your ideas were really good, I will go back and play with them.

2 Likes

Well,

From a Japanese perspective, I’d say put hot sauce on it - after you put some cheese on it (cheddar, maybe). The japanese flavor profiles are so “subtle”. Think of american nachos… “salsa”, pickled jalapenos, sharp cheddar cheese… that’s enough to make anything american, in my book.

From a Thai perspective, I think you’d take all the hot peppers off :wink: so it all depends where you are coming from.

3 Likes

I might ask what’s the taste profile difference between Ranch and Kewpie? They hold the same spot in the culinary landscape. Ranch is saltier and more onion-flavor and tarter, right? Basically more taste all the things. We see America shifting from mayonnaise to “garlic aoli”. And remember “red death”, ie, Lawry’s?

1 Like

@bbulkow, meet natto. Not subtle! at all.

2 Likes

make it spicy a little

1 Like

Grilled chicken has a version in most, if not all countries. American BBQ chicken (in its various iterations) would be tasty in Oyakodon. Whether slow over wood, mopped with a vinegar sauce, or a tomato based BBQ sauce of your preference.

I submit American BBQ chicken as my chosen ingredient for Americanized Oyakodon. Especially in one month + one day. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well, sure, natto.

But against that, I made Extra Hot curry riceu this week, and it is… subtle. Japanese whiskey is the lightest and have the most delicate flavor variations compared to any other whiskies in the world. The flavor profile of ramen broth? One has to consider deeply each sip :-). Not so in thailand, most of the chinese regions, korea… you get WHOMPED on the head with flavor and nothing is left to the imagination.

1 Like

I’ve never heard the term Red Death, but I like it.
Are you referring to Lawry’s seasoned salt?
My bil wrote a short story about Green Death in the houseboats.
Referred to the 40oz bottles of Rainier Ale they all shared around the warming fires there in the mud. He didn’t coin the term, just borrowed it.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, Japanese food (at least what I’ve had) tends to be less heat-forward than Sichuan or Korean. But I’ve had plenty of spicy miso ramen and takowasa that was plenty assertive. And although I don’t eat meat, I imagine that tonkatsu ramen is strongly-flavored as well.

2 Likes