How to get blue burn mark off carbon steel?

Aagh…I accidentally left my Mafter carbon steel pan on the stove too long when drying it. Now it has one of those blueish brown high heat burn marks.

Is there any way to get rid of it? or will it fade on it’s own?

2 Likes

You could try a paste of baking soda or Barkeepers Friend to see if it fades, but it’s possible you’ve blued the steel and it is now a physical part of the metal.

Isn’t it black carbon steel? The pan will darken with use and seasoning.

No it it is grey.

It will eventually become brown/black with use as it acquires more layers of seasoning. It is normal.

1 Like

Yes, I know. Brown/black is normal…blue is not, unless it is overheated.
Thanks.

No problem.

It looks like after a couple of uses the blue heat tarnish spot is already starting to fade.

4 Likes

Just reseason the entire pan so it’s uniform

Blue bun mark? Carbon steel? Blue-ish mark on a carbon steel is a good thing. People intentionally tries to achieved. Now, if you do want to remove it, then yes, acidic solution such as BarKeeper’s Friend is a good idea.

You mean like this blue hue, right?

or

1 Like

It was just something that had never happened before, so I was slightly worried. But I simply kept cooking in the pan and it faded away completely.

That’s interesting about the blue seasoning method. Thanks for the videos.

Thanks!! As I’m getting a new wok soon! Need to do this.

1 Like

Can one season stainless steel cookwares as well?

The short answer is no. Seasoning layer does not stick well to stainless steel cookware, so it is not practical to do so.

2 Likes

Actually the short answer is yes stainless can be seasoned but the benefit of the practice is controversial.

I’d season a new stainless skillet before use and one that has been unused for a long time. Otherwise I agree it’s impractical in my opinion.

1 Like