How Much Would You Pay for This?

I was in an antique store this weekend and again saw one of these Ruffoni braisers. It’s been there at least a year.

Despite having more copper than I need, I’m tempted to make an offer. Not because it’s thick (It’s not) or hammered, or even because it matches the 14Q stocker I have. My impulse is based on the fact that it would fill a bit of a gap in my batterie–I have large and small copper rondeaux, but none in the 28cm range. The fact that it still has its cover and is dent-free also appeals.

What would you pay?

Thanks.

Ruffoni Rondeau

The cheapest price on Ebay would be £60. Much more than I can afford (or want to pay) for a new pan, let alone a second hand one. If that’s the going rate, then it’s something I would happily do without.

1 Like

Considering this similar one new at Williams-Sonoma is $300 USD (same size but with a decorative knob), I would offer between 30% and 50% of the retail price ($90 to $150) depending on the condition.

What is the shop asking for it?

1 Like

$165. This one has a basic loop handle–I think the decorative knob is a bit frou-frou.

1 Like

I would offer $100 and see what they say. They might go to $125 or $135. Not sure if that’s a good deal for you, but it seems fair.
I’m not a big fan of the fancy knob either.

3 Likes

We think alike… Thanks.

1 Like

Considering its unique size and the fact that it’s in good condition with its cover intact, I’d say it’s worth making an offer. Since it’s been sitting there for a year, you might have some room to negotiate. I’d suggest starting with an offer around 20-30% below the asking price and see how the seller responds. If it fills a gap in your collection and you’re really drawn to it, it might be worth paying a bit more, but make sure it fits within your budget.

I would offer $100, maybe go up to $125. But I admit I have never been tempted to purchase any Ruffoni pieces, so maybe I’m undervaluing it.

$0.00

2 Likes

I’d search for one in that size with more copper and a conventional handle. I have a rondeau that size, and it is a work horse. I am glad I waited until it came along.

Good advice. I do like the look of the potbellied sidewalls, though. This would make a good companion piece to the 14Q stockpot.

I have one of those and it is pretty. I also prefer the old handles to the new fussy designs. Having said that I have almost the same size in heavy copper that I use far more often.

But it sounds like you want it so I agree that you should make a lowball offer and as someone who loves to haggle I would start at 50%, but depending on where you are that might be considered insulting by the merchant and they might not counteroffer so $100 is probably a good starting point. I paid far less than that for mine but that was also a long time ago.