How Many Small Electrics?

stand mixer
hand mixer
food processor
immersion blender
large toaster/convection oven

1 Like

We use everything we own. What we don’t gets passed to someone who will. I’m not into collecting just for the heck of it.

2 Likes

toaster
electric kettle
rice cooker
microwave
toaster oven

Minimalist but all of these are heavily used.

2 Likes

The espresso coffee machine and the microwave are two things I use all the time. I would say that I want to get rid of their use but it is still very inconvenient to do without them.

I also like my Sandwich Maker that speed up the preparation of breakfast and snacks.

1 Like

Have had to think about this, as I love gadgets and equipment, and don’t want to leave anything out. Starting with the older items, and yes, everything is used, if maybe only once or twice a year.

2 Sunbeam deep fryers, circa 1950’s - one needs a cord replacement.
Electric wok, Sunbeam also, circa early 70’s
Egg poacher - 1980’s
Small food processor - 1980’s
Large food processor (Cuisinart)
Medium FP (Cuisinart)
Electric Rotisserie
Electric skillet - not like ones made in the old days, pretty bad with hot spots
Big crockpot, 2 smaller ones, and a mini
Warming tray
Rice cooker
Instant Pot
Electric bean pot - removable from the bottom part and cute as hell
Cuisinart Steam Oven - doubles as a toaster
Original Osterizer Blender - needs a new gasket, but it lives on the bar area countertop
Vita Mix
Kitchen Aid Heavy duty stand mixer with most attachments
Cuisinart high powered hand mixer
Small air fryer
Waffle iron
Immersion Blender - love this
2 coffee grinders, one dedicated to spices only
Coffee maker
Ice cream maker
Electric pot for boiling water

Pretty sure that’s it, but I may have to amend if I think of anything else.

2 Likes

Forgot the waffle iron and the panini press. Just lent those out to a neighbor today…

1 Like

Fewer and fewer as time goes by. Our garage is full of them. We both have good knife skills and good cookware. We have two crockpots - one an old Harvest Gold Hamilton Beach from our wedding in l978, and a newer and smaller white Crockpot that cooks hotter. We use those guys a lot. I’ve collected a lot of Le Creuset and carbon steel woks/grill pans. We don’t bake. Sold my KA to a girlfriend for $50. I couldn’t lift it anymore. Other than my 31 year old perennial microwave I can’t recall using a small electric - oh, my small Cuisinart. But I could just as easily pull out my mortar and pestle.

5 Likes

The irony is we could get to a basic five small appliances but we have many of these tools from folks who tossed them and where will they go beyond new adoptions? Landfills?

It’s a dilemma.

2 Likes

My wife seems to go on cleaning binges right before I go on trips. We pulled everything out of the somewhat awkward cabinet that holds our small electrics. In fairness this was triggered by a new Dutch oven that needed a home. Three miscellaneous small electrics migrated to the basement to make room for the Dutch oven and a nested set of mixing bowls from my past. Less electrics and more stuff that doesn’t plug in has earned a place for in-kitchen storage.

Electric knife sharpener…latest donation.

I have one of those! It doesn’t take up much room but I can’t remember the last time I used it. It’s out of sight, out of mind. Lots of small electrics haven’t seen much use lately because we aren’t entertaining as before. The pandemic has changed how I shop and cook so the bread maker and vacuum sealer now have convenient and prominent spots in the kitchen.

4 Likes

Forgot one - an electric griddle. Great for cooking breakfasts or grilled cheese for a crowd. Doesn’t take up much room either.

2 Likes

I’m thinking of carving a sign posted at the end of my driveway.
“Appliance Adoption” for the tossed and under used."

4 Likes

I use a tri-stone. 400, 800, and 1200 grit. Takes about five minutes per knife, about (ish) quarterly. I find it quite Zen.

1 Like

Can’t argue with that. OTOH, I’m saving another perfectly good appliance. I hope yours lasts a lifetime.

1 Like