How many different types of Pasta do you keep in stock? (Or Noodle, by any other name...) For what dishes?

fresh pasta is an entirely different thing than “dried / boxed” pasta.

(post deleted by author)

The dried pasta I make are usually Fettuccine and thin spaghetti, the latter being much more challenging. I’ve used these fresh and dried at low temperatures. Aside from the cooking times, the flavor is nearly identical. There’s no comparison with the commercial types. The flavors of semolina are easily lost with hot, dry air, or improper storage.

Maybe so! I get lost in the multiple “threads”.

2 Likes

I always keep spaghetti and rigatoni on hand. They are pretty versatile and I can make one of them work with most pantry pasta sauces. There’s also a half-open box of orzo if I decide I need a quick bowl of soup.
If I need another shape I just buy as I go.

3 Likes

Well, there’s its close cousin, the strategic pandemic pasta reserve - and I’m still eating my way through mine. Ditto the big plastic tub for storage.

4 Likes

Just bought more bc pasta

:yum:

No way this’ll be cooked before Berlin, but it’ll join the rest of the gang in the basement.

4 Likes

Interesting. Do you live above 3,000’? I wonder how altitude and lower boiling temps work. I have heard that water boils at 202 degrees, not 212, in Denver because it is the Mile High City. This is probably more of a thing in Quito at 9500’.
I am at 3,000’ and do not notice much of a difference. I usually simmer for a minute less than the recommended for al dente, check it and it is usually a bit too firm for me. But it is usually just a minute or two from being ok/al dente. I do not mind pasta cooked past al dente, especially for sesame noodles, but I usually do not wait to get past it.

1 Like

I’ve found easier-to-read charts before because I was curious if there was any effect at my altitude (~1200 feet; 210°F), but this was the first i hit googling just now.

Looks like yours is about 206-207, and Barney around 193.

1 Like