Favorite New Recipes 2023

Adding some publication round-ups.

I’m guessing they count how many people saved a recipe rather than made it, which isn’t really a “favorites” or “popularity” list, just a bookmarking list.

I’ve made exactly one thing from the NYT list though I’m a regular reader — Gochujang butter noodles (right in line with umami / garlic noodles which were on my 2022 favorites, and a cousin of the scallion ginger noodles I made on repeat this year).

Appalled to see Coconut Saag and the horrible ketchup version of Indian-Chinese Chicken Manchurian on the list, which only confirms my suspicion that this is not a list of what people made, just of what they saved when they first encountered it :rofl:

I haven’t saved or made anything from the Bon Appetit list, though the peanut chicken noodles look like a nice extension of chinese takeout sesame noodles, and the gochujang sloppy Joe’s are yet another good way to serve @Nannybakes ‘s gochujang meat sauce.

Food52 and The Kichn published their lists mid-year for some reason and have yet to update them.

7 Likes

I’ve made the dumpling tomato salad with chili crisp from the NYT, and it was a big hit. Lulu has been bugging me to make it again. Aside from that I haven’t made anything on their list, although I want to make the goat cheese and dill Dutch baby.

5 Likes

From the NYT list, I’ve made the Mochiko chicken (meh), goat cheese and dill Dutch baby (not memorable) and the lemony Greek chicken, spinach and potato stew (good). I’ve made the soup twice now, and will make it again. That tarragon and cognac chicken is high on my list.

I didn’t make anything off of the Bon Ap list.

1 Like

I make dumpling “salad” a lot in that I make a similar chilli crisp, soy, sesame oil, and vinegar and dressing and toss TJs gyoza with it until absorbed. It’s a favorite travel food for me on long plane rides, because it eats well cold too. One of these days I’ll add some vegetables and eat it at home!

5 Likes

I will admit I know nothing of cake salé - I sent the link to my French friend (to be fair, she’s not Alsatian and has lived here for 50 years) and she said she’d never had any - but I’m really anxious to try some. This is my idea of dream bar food - or at least appetizers …. Wow.

2 Likes

Making this three times in the past week has landed it on my list.

Twice with macaroni, once with cauliflower. (A few modifications for our taste, of course.)

7 Likes

My favorite repeat from a recipe this year was yo po mian, which I make with TJ’s pappardelle:

I add a lb. of ground pork marinated lightly with Shaoxing wine, soy sauce, white pepper, and a bit of cornstarch and stir fry. I double the sauce, add the garlic to it, and add a little sugar. Serve with chili crisp at the table.

I also make a lot of “taco chicken” because my kiddo loves it: 3-4 b/s chicken breasts, a few Tbsp ea ranch dip mix and taco seasoning, about 1/2 c salsa, a squirt of tomato pasta, glug of oo, several bay leaves, sliced onion, a couple cloves of crushed garlic, and an envelope of Goya sazon. Slow cook 2-3 hr on high or ~6-8min at high pressure in the IP. Shred, toss with the sauce, and serve in flour tortillas with cheese, sour cream, and tomatoes.

I also plan to make this again soon:

I think I added chaat masala on top and various crunchy things like diced cucumber, crispy shallots, etc.

ETA:

Also enjoyed this pad krapow gai a few times. Also works with ground chicken.

And I made this once and plan to again, adding a thinly sliced chopped apple and slightly more sugar.

9 Likes

I haven’t been trying as many new recipes this year. I can’t think of any keepers right now, apart from my adapted Dublin Lawyer, where I substituted Cognac for whisky, added shrimp and cut down the amount of cream from 2 cups to ~ 2/3 cup. This American recipe includes paprika, mushrooms and green onions. Most Irish recipes are more simple, often just lobster, salt , pepper, whisky and cream.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dublin-lawyer-recipe-recipe-1945930

I did enjoy a chicken piccata pasta recently, using the flavours of picatta in a pasta dish. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/chicken-piccata-pasta-toss-recipe2-1913492

4 Likes

This is a great list.

1 Like

Peanut Butter Chili Oil Noodles.
I don’t know how “new” this recipe is, but I tried it based on this video.
This is a quick and easy dish that really tastes good. Both Sunshine & I have very much enjoyed it.

7 Likes

From the NYT list, I’ve only made the mochiko chicken (fine, not super awesome) and a very modified version of the gochujang noodles (didn’t love, might have been too many changes).

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this. I’ve rarely met a version of peanut sauce noodles that I don’t like. I’ll have to try making these.

1 Like

I did substitute this Chamoy Sauce for his homemade chili oil/sauce. I also used chunky peanut butter, so pieces of peanuts were mixed in vs. on top.

My girlfriend doesn’t like food to be too spicy/hot. This sauce is milder (than his chili oil/sauce) and a bit more to her liking.

This is my version…

I found another version where I topped it with green onion (for some color)

5 Likes

That Mochiko Chicken looked tempting, but I rarely deep fry at home, and then TJs introduced karaage (which doesn’t help you on the GF front, but does feed into my laziness about deep frying) so that was that :joy:

2 Likes

It’s interesting to me how the texture of the noodle used really changes how this dish “tastes” – not the actual taste, of course, but maybe the overall “experience”?

1 Like

This was me this year too. Normally, between DOTQ, COTM, and inspiration from WFD and WMP among other places, I experiment a lot, but this was a year of mostly tried and true favorites.

Nice to see other people’s lists and be inspired for the new year!

1 Like

This sounds great! Will try with thighs. Would not have thought to combine ranch and sazon with taco seasoning.

I LOVE this dish, which we call “vagharelo bhaat” / tempered rice, but never think of it as a “recipe” to share, because much like Asian fried rice, it’s a last-minute leftover rice compilation.

We don’t load it quite as much as the recipe link, it’s usually a light meal – simple tempering of cumin and mustard seeds, curry leaves / karipatta, onion, sometimes a bit of minced garlic or grated ginger, and occasionally broken cashews or peanuts (fried with the tempering).

I’d wager that you would also enjoy tomato rice, lemon rice, and tamarind rice – same idea, with various additional flavorings to amp it up.

4 Likes

I made the Mochiko chicken also, and we both found it “meh”. It was fine and all was eaten, but outta site, outta mind.

2 Likes

It’s a salt bomb but lots of umami, of course. Be sure to cook to shreddability. It’s pretty good cold, actually!

2 Likes

Definitely! They sound good.