How do you research eateries in Japan?

Quick question, what resources/ website do you use to research eateries in Japan? It doesn’t matter if the resources/ website is in written in Japanese. Best if its a resource used by Japanese and not tourists. The Japan equivalent of Yelp / Google Map reviews/ food forums.

I don’t mind and will walk into random places of course, but sometimes I also want to know if there are some places that I should prefer over the others, whether in big cities or small villages.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Tabelog is quite popular

4 Likes

Gurunabi (“gourmet navigation”) is second to Tabelog in popularity for such things. The site can also be used to help make reservations.

2 Likes

I rely on “tried & tested” printed food guides by writers whom I trust.

2 Likes

Similar question, but for trip planning. Any good travel websites / books for Japan?

My first goal was to look at what dishes interest me which I would have a hard time finding where I live. To that extent I start with a list of Japanese dishes on Wikipedia.:

My favorite ‘new’ discovery was himono (dried fish). But what I had was nothing like I assumed. It was surprisingly juicy with skin that seemed like crisped air.
Then after I searched out dishes, I went onto Tabelog. But the English version has a limited search function, so I used the Japanese version. Since I don’t know Japanese, I did a lot of cutting and pasting. I find going through Tabelog so much fun.

The most important practical info on Tabelog is the maps and the photos of what the outside of the place looks like. Having the address alone can be insufficient to actually finding it.

3 Likes

japan-guide.com is the ultimate online resource. When I hear or read about something interesting, then I go to Google Maps and poke around. Fodors.com has Trip Reports in their Asia forum.

3 Likes

Trick question?

How about Hungry Onion.

I use HO too. But Japan is a big country!

Tabelog is used by most people. Almost all restaurants are on there and you can get info on restaurants, see reviews and pics. Essential info such as whether they take single diners, credit card, … are also on there. On the Japanese site, you can also search by type of food, location, ranking, …

For in-depth discussions, tokyotabletrip is also good for English speakers

Other than those, not many sites that are very useful. A lot of the people who travel to Japan are on Instagram so you can always see where these people go

1 Like

I asked a question here, 2 weeks before my departure. It was a last minute trip, as there was a spot that opened up, and I snagged it.

I searched on instagram and online for certain dishes I was interested in, such as fruit parfaits and fruit sandos. I followed hashtags for food I was interested in on IG.

I got advice from a friend who was married to a Japanese chef. He sent me a dozen recommendations, and I managed to try a couple.

I also kept updating my post while I was in Japan, so I could keep tips coming in as my location changed.

I love when people post from their trips as they are happening.

While I’m on the trip, I use Google Maps a lot. I will search for a drink or food on the map, and sort out what has reviews higher than 4 or 4.0, what is open at the time I’ll be visiting, and save these places on the map.

I do this at home, too.

2 Likes

I have a question that is a little bit related to food. What will be places where the kids can entertain themselves for a couple of hours if the parents want to have a couple of hours to themselves, e.g. fine dining in Japanese cities, especially in Kyoto and Osaka? The hotel room obviously is an option, but any other kid-friendly establishment types I can consider?

1 Like

You don’t say what ages or what location in those cities. I imagine if you Google ‘Osaka for Kids,’ you will find a ridiculously long list of possibilities.

BTW, there used to be a guy on Chowhound living in Tokyo who was a very active contributor. He wrote for Tokyo Food Page which, I think, is now bento.com Has food info plus lots of other stuff.

2 Likes

following, as I’m going in October, and had already loaded Tableog app to my phone. When are you going, @sck ?

1 Like

I am mostly done researching lunch and dinner. But I haven’t looked into breakfast. What do people usually eat for breakfast in cities? Is eating out common or is it mostly eat at home or grab something quick from convenience store?

A pretty nice breakfast including omelettes, Japanese curry, bananas gratin and western stuff was included at my 3 star hotel in Hakuba.

In Kyoto, my hotel included the option of a traditional multi course Japanese breakfast with fish. I recommend having at least one traditional Japanese breakfast.

In Shinjuku, I had a breakfast sandwich at EggSlut one morning. There are also nice coffee shops that will have good coffee and breakfast sandwiches around the bigger cities.

The pastries in the department store food halls are amazing ( I love that kind of thing).

I’m a little obsessed with some Japanese brunch and breakfast dishes: Omurice, Rolled Omelettes.

And the pork or chicken Katsu sandwiches at Lawson, 7 11 and other convenience stores are great. Even the Basque cheesecake from 7 11 is great.

Some ideas here
https://www.reddit.com/r/JapanTravelTips/comments/17cvepm/japanese_breakfast_in_tokyo/

1 Like

Hotels and guest houses serve a typical Japanese breakfast. There will always be a piece of fried fish and miso soup. Usually also natto, a raw egg and a few pickles. On southern islands, you most likely get a slice of fried spam (not for me, partner eats it) with your other typical/traditional Japanese breakfast items.

I don’t do breakfast at home, but when in Japan wouldn’t miss eating fried fish and natto at 7am for anything! (A few photos in an album)

1 Like