How do you Hummus?

I just made a batch yesterday. My current version, 16 oz of dried chickpeas soaked overnight in a glass container. Drained and dry roasted in a pan with ground cumin and peeled garlic cloves until fragrant. Then into the fp and rough chop. Then add Soom tahini, the juice of one lemon, salt and 3 tsp of cold water. While fp is on, add 1-2 ice cubes to create a velvety finish. I do sprinkle smoked paprika on top or just a bit of za’atar.

Soom brand tahini is delicious, super creamy and easy to find locally and thru their site. I agree it’s key!

@HungryAllTheTime, I have never tried turmeric in hummus. Interesting.

3 Likes

Tasted some outstanding hot curry hummus at a local farmers’ market. Wow! But @ $12 a half cup, I came home and made some from “by guess and by God” as my mother would have accused me. Canned chickpeas, tahini, garlic, cumin, curry powder and red pepper flakes. Very thick so I added some chickpea juice. Not at all bad.

Washed up the blender and realized…I totally forgot the olive oil. Debated starting over but just added a splash and called it good. Maybe no blue ribbons this time, but a really good concept.

2 Likes

I usually use AlWadi tahini and turmuric? healthy, tasty and gives a great color to the hummus.

2 Likes

Think the turmeric is genius @HungryAllTheTime - an important anti-inflammatory too.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like

I have to show my husband what you just wrote. He’ll LHAO. I cook maybe once a month (never considered a “cook”) and now I am able to give out cooking suggestions.:joy: I LOVE THIS SITE

2 Likes

Rooo…my recipe too was that posted here?..I find it just perfect in small batches for 4 or 6 persons…

1 Like

Don’t believe you included your version here, feel free!

Wait…“Laugh his/her ass off”!

1 Like

@Lambchop IMHO, turmeric is mandatory.

1 Like

Agreed @pilgrim.

1 Like

On almost everything. Not just hummus