How do you Hummus?

I don’t like the idea of blitzing unpeeled garlic in lemon juice and then straining the garbage out. I mash the garlic with salt and let it sit a while. And I always remove the sprouts of the garlic.

No one’s forcing you to do anything, dude or dudess. You wanted a way to make super-smooth hummus without peeling the chickpeas. Now you have one.

Hey, don’t misunderstand. I don’t feel forced! But I don’t think that Solomonov’s method is the best way to get tasty hummus, particularly because of the garlic sprouts.

I’m wondering what applies if you want to know if you should peel chick peas, but for a “smashed” preparation, rather than a creamy hummus.

Not sure if it’s worth it, and the volume of cooked chick peas in the recipe might be different.

Probably tangential.

Maybe I should start a new one, or can someone hook me up (to the right thread)?

I’ve put them in a bowl of water to float off the skins. In the end it just wasn’t worth it.

Looking for the silver lining the skins are good non digestible fiber

1 Like

I’ll try it again in the Vitamix in a couple of weeks. I’ll start with small quantities and most of the liquid, adding chickpeas in several batches. We’ll see. But first I have to bake pitas.

1 Like

Fresh baked pitas trump any issues with the slight grainy nature of food processor made hummus

1 Like

These are the ingredients for the recipe from the “Healthy Kitchens, Healthy Lives” Conference.

I’m thinking of making it, but not wanting to sacrifice for health this go 'round.

I don’t bake but looks like a reasonable recipe

1 Like

It depends on your tolerance for the skins, which I don’t think are going to break up (without grinding) no matter how long you cook the chickpeas. No personal experience, 'cause I strongly prefer a smooth texture.

1 Like

Tbh, I mostly use canned chickpeas for hummus (given the amount of tahini I prefer, the flavor of which hides many sins, it’s really pretty hard to tell the difference from freshly cooked), and the skins almost literally fall off those as fast as you can pass through them through your fingers. But when I do go “all out” and cook the chickpeas myself, overcooking them seems to help.

One of these days I imagine I’ll try it, but so far I haven’t succumbed to the temptation of baking soda, mostly just because even though I know (intellectually) that the amount of B vitamins it de-vitaminizes isn’t worth worrying about, I have a huge mental block against using it thanks to the previous half a century’s worth of"healthy eating" public health messages/food-writing demonizing the practice…

Meh.
I might rub the chickpeas a little on a paper towel but wouldn’t fuss with making sure all the skins are off. I make a semi smashed chickpea salad often and never peel them and don’t notice.

1 Like

When I first started making hummus, I used canned chickpeas. But then I started soaking and cooking them, and to my mind the freshly cooked chickpeas are better by an order of magnitude.

Do you have a recipe you use? I’ve been favoring those that include avocado, but they don’t look good for long.

Oh yes- i know I posted this somewhere else… it’s flexible of course- I don’t use the maple syrup and often swap out the dill for cilantro or scallions. Perfect to add sliced avocado to the sandwich but i also eat it ontop of salads or scoop it up with sliced cucumbers. Been making it lately for lunches and keep me happy and full a good while
Oh, and the garlic sauce here too is delicious but not essential.

2 Likes

Lordy I have missed a ton! reading…:nerd_face:

2 Likes

A few new ideas.

1 Like

Some of those are tempting me! Has anyone tried any? I’m thinking cauliflower or kabocha. I don’t think I want anything sweet.

I prepared hummus many times but every time failed to get a smooth texture with taste. One day I read the recipe online. After using this recipe, I had successfully made it tasty with a smooth texture. Hopefully, after 2-3 tries, I will make the best out of this!

I am sharing this recipe with you guys also. Kindly add suggestions for the different tastes to try.

2 Likes

I’ll use uncooked chick peas when I have the time to soak and boil them, but have found that canned are just as good (canned that have only chick peas or garbanzo beans on the ingredients and nothing else). Drain two cans of chickpeas/garbanzo beans and put in a food processor, add 3-7 garlic cloves (depending on their size and how much garlic you like - you can always add but you can’t take it out, so add it one by one) and mix. Add lemon juice, raw tahini - this is the most important ingredient - must be flowing (there are a lot of brands, some very very thick, some outright hard, some very very smooth - with a lot of natural oils in it - the latter is what you are looking for). If it is too hard - just add water and mix with a whisk BEFORE adding to food processor. While mixing everything together, incorporate EVOO - slowly. Add 1 heaping tablespoon each of paprika and cumin, 1 teaspoon of turmuric and salt to taste. If the hummus isn’t as smooth as you would like, add water/EVOO/lemon juice depending on your taste and keep the food processor on. Lemon juice, EVOO and water can be added according to taste, so no need to add a lot to begin with. These can be added slowly. Some like their hummus thick - I don’t. Some like it lemony - I do.

Once plated, use the back of a big spoon to create a crater (twist the plate while holding down the back of the spoon over the hummus) - then garnish the center with EVOO, a bit of sprinkled paprika, a heaping tablespoon of tahini (mixed with water and lemon juice until it is a whitish color), some chick peas (left over from the can) and finely chopped parsley

3 Likes