How do YOU cook ribeye cap steak?

But the oven temperature is higher than the desired final meat temperature and so will always create a temperature gradient in the meet. Something which can be easily avoided by using sous vide

Certainly a leading contender. I like hanging tenderloin and Spenser, too.

Yum!

ETA Note to self; one piece would have been plenty. :confused:

2 Likes

why was I not invited?

2 Likes

Exactly

That looks delicious. Beautiful job. Maybe time to blow the dust off of my immersion circulator.

I cook them a lot darker than that on the exterior, but the center of each cap often gets darker than yours too.

1 Like

No, it’s not. I set my oven for 120F (or whatever anyone would set on their circulator). It’s obviously not as precise as a PID controlled circulator, but an oven cooks the meat just as evenly. In fact, a little exterior evaporation is an advantage for the sear.

Speaking of which, SV zealots give short shrift to the fact that, unless they want to eat their steak wet out of the bag, there will always be some temperature/texture/visual gradient after the sear. Some grey band is not a bad thing IMO, and hardly worth struggling to avoid. The whole issue really shouldn’t come into play unless you’re firing large numbers of truly thick steaks. And if you are, finishing in the oven works just fine. For experienced steak cooks, SV is mostly advantageous in saving time at serving.

Wow, I’m flummoxed by the direction of 132F for 1.5 hours and then searing 2 minutes/side. Either the writer is dyslexic, or the finished dish will look nothing like their lead photo.

Even 123F is pushing it for showing pink, IMO, if the steak gets a full 2 minutes per side after the bath.

How satisfied were you with the finished degree of doneness bathing at 128F?

I didn’t sous vide at the recommended 132, and I didn’t sear for 2 minutes each side because I wanted it mid rare/red-pink, but I think I would have been equally satisfied with a bit more doneness, I guess because of the cut. I would call it very unctuous, but for me, not overly greasy or fatty. I can’t explain it any better, but I really love this “rib cap” cut.

I was pretty sure you didn’t, judging by your one photo, which showed 128 and 126.5. Hard to envision anyone recommending 132, except maybe the chef at Mar-a-Lago?

It’s difficult to judge doneness by photos, but your steak looked less pink than medium rare to me.

Yes, the cap can “sweater” your teeth with fat.

Have fun.

I would say it was closer to medium, but it chewed a bit looser and juicier than expected from medium. I don’t think I would have liked it as much medium rare.

Maybe what it reminds me of is 140 f , 48 hour sous vide short rib. :wink:

2 Likes

The ribeye cap is so marbled, that under cooking it can actually be a detriment, where the fat remains, well, fat.

3 Likes

I totally agree.

The ribeye cap tastes delicious when done medium to medium well for the reasons stated.

1 Like

Just yesterday I remarked here how crestfallen I would be if Costco discontinued separate sales of ribeye cap in their prime meat section. To my disappointment, my visit today suggested this fear may already be a reality. The only ribeyes in the prime section were standard ribeyes including the eye and the caps.

1 Like

雪花牛肉

Google translates that to “marble-patterned beef slice” :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

So where can I get this in Sacramento? Should I ask V. Miller meats, Oto’s, or Corti brothers? What might it be called in English? I would be willing to butcher the entire neck myself if required.

Maybe it’s this?:

脖仁(boren ):it is a piece of meat on the neck of a cow with marble-like lines, accounting for only 1% of a whole cow.

I rarely, if ever, have seen it at the retail level. Mostly wholesale.

Up in Sacramento, V. Miller might be your best bet.

Oto’s is more grocery store, although I am sure their butchers can source it, it would be more difficult and a hassle.

But you bring up a good point. What to call it in English. When I order it for personal use, it’s usually through a Korean butcher that I know personally, and when breaks down a whole cow, I stand there and we point at what I want.

So, if you have the gumption, go to V. Miller and see if they will let you watch as they break down a whole cow. That’s the best way to get this piece of neck meat.

Also, you might want to swing by KP International Market in Rancho Cordova. I’ve seen some rather interesting cuts in their butcher case, including pork bung!

2 Likes

Do not try the pork bung. Just don’t. I speak from experience.