How do you braise your gizzards?

Picked up an assortment of turkey giblets recently, b/c I love them & they’re dirt cheap around this time of year. Go figger.

The hearts & livers have long since gone down my gullet, but the gizzards (3 fat ones) are still lingering in the fridge. I’ve read they’re best braised, so bring on your favorite liquids, seasonings, spices, etc.

Muchas.

Lots of ginger and garlic. Sherry, too.

I had them in soups in Asia.

The late, highly-regarded Sam Fujisaka evangelized (at our former dog park) for chicken gizzard stroganoff. I tried it and agreed - I’d have thought it was beef. Just swapped them for beef in a typical recipe.

I’d forgotten about that! I did a quick search but can’t find a recipe that he shared. PS: I know he’d have bailed and wound up here, don’t you?

1 Like

Chinese style: water, dark soy sauce, salt, five spice powder, ginger, star anise, sugar, pepper, tangerine skin (optional). Cooked for hours.

I’ve had them battered and fried. And I’ve roasted them with a little Dijon on them.

Well ummm… I got some gizzards today. Gonna make Stroganoff!

Really? Stroganoff? Huh.

Maybe I’ve not been using a ‘typical’ recipe, but for me, Stroganoff is a fairly quick dish. With tender beef, like tenderloin.

I cooked the shizzle out of the mofos, and they were still chewy as hell. Tasty, but not beefy by any stretch of the imagination.

I really just wanted to use them up since they’d been in the fridge, and I hate waste. Ended up adding some couscous to the pot to soak up some of the braising liquid, and it ended up a bit like dirty “rice”.

Not sure I need to make those again, however. Meh.

Don’t.

Gonna try cooking it til it’s tender first, then make something.

Plan ahead :smiley:

Yes, I do plan to braise it a little every day as I only have so much time a day to cook something that requires hours on end. We’ll see.

I braise them in a little beer, sliced garlic, onion, carrot and celery, s&p, a little evoo for about 2 hours. After which a tsp. of mild curry powder is added, and served over some white rice or mashed potatoes. They are done when a fork inserted goes in without any resistance.
One note is that I keep an eye on the liquid, as the gizzards have very little moisture or fat in them, and if there is some beer left over, it never goes to waste!
PS…this recipe was given to me about 30 years ago by a Japanese American man, that I would run into weekly at the little restaurant he owned and who had worked as a cook in the Army during the Korean conflict. He said that a southerner taught him how to do gizzards…I’ve been making it ever since…

Hearts are far more tender. This is good for in Stroganoff and Bourguignon. I shall do that. Gizzards are to be made into something Sichuanese with spicy preserved turnips.

Lol… this is where a pressure cooker is mighty handy. I’ve always loved them since I was a kid, and it was my favorite thing (besides a sprig of dill or a matzoh ball) to find in my chicken soup.

2 Likes

Once they’re braised till tender, you add the sour cream, etc., to turn them into stroganoff. I forgot that they have to be thinly- sliced first.

The horse has left the barn, I realize, but here’s one of the relevant old CH threads, with other gizzard prep ideas, too: http://www.chowhound.com/post/gizzards-410844?page=all

1 Like

Sam knew a lot about a lot, didn’t he? Miss that kiddo :frowning:

1 Like

One of my favorite childhood dishes was congee made with preserved veggies and salted duck gizzard congee. Love that stuff! I’ve never eaten the turkey gizzard itself, because it gets boiled to death in my stock/gravy process, but I would love to try it. Chicken gizzards are great too. Either braised with soy sauce and spices, as mentioned, or salted and preserved and then sliced thinly for congee…yum.