Houston Openings and Closings - 2022

The Coltivare people own Katz’s?

Listening to Eric Sanders and he says there’s a new El Real in the tunnels under downtown?? I really liked the cheese enchies but I’m not likely to head underground for them, territory reserved for downtown workers’ lunch forages.

Old:

New:

3 Likes

Interesting. Maybe a prototype for future expansion? There are some empty restaurant facilities in my part of town :slightly_smiling_face: I’d patronize one nearby (and w/o valet parking.

1 Like

@Lambowner - What say you of North Italia? Ever been to the original?

1 Like

Interesting but strikes me as a kind of out of the way destination??? I’m not familiar with that part of the area, though.

I see a lot of CA concepts opening here because of so many people moving here from there.

2 Likes

I hadn’t thought of that; you’re probably right.

1 Like

I remember when Alison Cook gave it that great review. She had, a few years earlier, also praised a little Greek place on either Lawndale or Telephone, near where she lives, and I went all the way over there to try it and was not very impressed. So I never checked this one out, even though there were other good reviews.

1 Like

Welcome to Texas, Podnuhs!

But I do have a question — is Houston’s Asiatown gonna make another big leap west, from Alief out to Katy???

(post deleted by author)

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

I visited Just GRK once and was very unimpressed. I didn’t understand all the raves, especially with Niko Niko’s right across the freeway. Tragic happening over there with the server kidnapped and killed. I’m so glad they caught the boyfriend responsible. I need to head over there soon, it’s been years. I tend to go to a few favorites over and over again.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Krispy Kreme on Westheimer between Fondren and Chimney Rock is gone.

I really enjoyed them once every five years or so.
:cry:

3 Likes

When Krispy Kreme first came to Houston years ago, this is the location I went to to try it out. I remember it was nighttime and the glaze donut I got was fresh.

I don’t know that I ever had any fresh, as I never bought them myself, only got them from others. But the ones I sampled, though undoubtedly several hours old, had not congealed as much as Shipley donuts; they were still air-y, if you will. I was impressed by that and wondered how that was achieved.

I still remember the piece that Alison Cook wrote way back in the 70s or 80s about the ‘river of grease’ she observed at the one on Bissonnet that was open 24 hrs. That was the one I regularly went to back then and still visit occasionally, but I try not to look towards the back!

I prefer old fashioned style, or cake donuts now, not the glazed. Too sweet.

1 Like