Houston DOTM - August 2021 - GUMBO

Well I’ll tell ya, last weekend I went to a birthday celebration at Brennan’s and ordered the shrimp and oyster gumbo. I see it made this list. We were there on Sunday night, which may not be the best time to dine there, but the gumbo was lukewarm and very thick. The oysters were small and appeared to be smoked. I didn’t finish it. I give it a C-

I have had the duck gumbo at Rainbow Lodge and it is very good indeed. I haven’t been back to Bayou City since our meet up there, I want to go and see what the remodel is like. The gumbo at Segari’s is still the number one seed gumbo in Houston in my opinion. Classic taste. The restaurant itself is very small and there are no prices on the menu so you never know…

Today I’ll be eating at a small Mexican place in Brookshire. I’m meeting someone who heard about it and really wants to try it out. Long way to go with gas prices the way they are, but oh well. It’s called Ernesto’s. I’ll let ya’ll know!

3 Likes

I wonder if Brennan’s has been going down hill since the matriarch of the family died? It makes a lot of lists by default.

Ernesto’s looks pretty good. Impressive web site for a small town joint. I don’t know, maybe there are skyscrapers in Brookshire by now, the way the whole area is growing. Looking forward to a review in case I ever make a sausage run out to Bellville, East Bernard and such.

The only time I’ve ever stopped in Brookshire it was because there was a DPS car on my tail indicating he wanted to have a little chat.

2 Likes

We were disappointed in Brennan’s Sunday night for the first time ever and decided it was on account of it was Sunday night. The service was not up to their usual standards. There was a family sitting nearby who gave devices to their kids who then proceeded to watch cartoons at high volume. Come on people. But also, Sunday brunch is their biggest service and is usually slammed, so if any staff worked both, they would be worn out.

Ernesto’s turned out to be the Mexican food you’ll find in any small town, imo. And it needed a handyman, pretty run down. But the food was perfectly adequate. Mr. Lamb wanted the lengua tacos and they said they don’t sell it anymore because it’s too expensive, imagine that. So he got the tacos al pastor and the menudo and he liked both. The menudo didn’t have the usual hominy which lightened it up considerably. I wouldn’t make another special trip for it, but we had a bonus visit to Brookwood because when we got there at 11 a sign said they were at a funeral and would open at noon. Brookwood is a nice and large gift shop, garden center and cafe by reservation only. It benefits the residents on the premises who are disabled adults. It is about a mile up the road from the restaurant.

2 Likes

Well, dang. Sorry to hear about both Brennan’s and Ernesto’s.

I’ve been to Brookwood a couple of times and bought a few things. I’d have to look it up to find it.

3 Likes

Like Bruce, I’m saddened to hear of your lackluster visit to Brennan’s. I have to admit I haven’t been there in years but have always thoroughly enjoyed it.

2 Likes

I always thought Mark Holley (formerly of Brennan’s, Pesce, and Holley’s) made one of the best gumbos in town. His has duck confit, shrimp, and a couple of fried oysters. He’s now at Davis St. near Hermann Park. Haven’t been yet but his gumbo is on the menu.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

(Hookem!)

1 Like

Thanks for that tip! I will add Davis St to my wish list!

1 Like

I took a look at the website and Y gallery. That gumbo looks awesome. So does everything else! And $$$.

1 Like

Way too much rice in the seafood gumbo at Razzoo‘s.

4 Likes

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Cajun Rice Soup?

3 Likes

Came across this list again while looking over the HFE blog this weekend. Noted down at the bottom, next to last entry, House of Roux, Old Town Spring. he say’s his three favs are House of Roux, Viola and Agnes on Nasa 1, and Bayou City Seafood. He’s never mentioned Segari’s.

Too bad he never got there, Covid got it, closed recently. It was in an old house with only maybe 10 tables tops. Excellent gumbo though.

1 Like