Houston DOTM - August 2021 - GUMBO

The Wifeacita limped by the screen and said nice looking soup. It is a different looking gumbo but looks delicious.

Anybody got any rain lately? We love it as it lowers the temperatures and more importantly the electric bill. :cloud_with_rain: :cloud_with_rain: :cloud_with_rain:

1 Like

Happy National Gumbo Day! I hope you froze some of that pot o gold NotDoobs!

A little notice would have been nice!! :wink:

I always make enough to have leftovers and share with the neighbor lady but never enough to freeze. Having pizza for game 4 of the ALDS.

1 Like

Watching at BBā€™s while celebrating the gumbo holiday! Today I learned BBā€™s uses the NOLA Famous Ledenheimer Poboy bread! Delicious cup o shrimp gumbo (add crab) and 1/2 shrimp poboy.

Letā€™s go Astros!

1 Like

I like BBā€™s pretty well.

With Covid cases headed downward again, Iā€™m looking forward more gumbo.

Do you have a favorite?

@jcostiones @NotDoobieWah welfare check on everyone and their aunt. Is anyone eating anything?

As Chester Riley would say, ā€˜What a revoltinā€™ development this is.ā€™ That probably went over everybodyā€™s head since Iā€™m the oldest one here (Iā€™ll be 80 next year) most of you are probably too young to remember William Bendix in the Life of Riley.

In the era of Covid, MIAs are real causes for concern. Has anybody checked In yet??? Rio Grande Valley? Anybody heard from Jaymes recently?

To bring you up to date, back in the Summer of '18 I got a cancer diagnosis. I am a private person and didnā€™t intend to bring it to the forum but as I got into the treatments I just couldnā€™t keep up and by the time the treatment schedule ended late in the Spring of '19, I was very out of touch with the foodie scene and not inclined to bother with it again. You know, like ā€˜other priorities.ā€™

But Iā€™d hate to see this little discussion group die completely so Iā€™ll try to make some contributions. Because of Covid restrictions (and warnings - Iā€™m in the highest risk group by age, of course) Iā€™ve had one restaurant meal this year and food picked up from restaurants maybe 3 times. I donā€™t get around very well so I wonā€™t have much to contribute but Iā€™ll try.

5 Likes

Rats. I forgot I was going to sign on as NotBrucesw so nobody would know who I am. Messed up my chance to be a secret agent!

I canā€™t stay on my feet in the kitchen very long without getting unsteady so I rely on a lot of convenience foods. I found this while browsing online (a life saver) at HEB Meyerland, so this will be my contribution to this thread:

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/frenchy-s-creole-gumbo-base-32-oz/2241977

I know I have some of Frenchyā€™s sausage in the freezer, and some frozen shrimp, so Iā€™ll go (ice) fishing for them and report back.

2 Likes

Looking up Jonathanā€™s the Rub on the map hereā€¦ hmmmm.

I scrolled thru their Yelp gallery - the gumbo is apparently very popular there. But I didnā€™t see any as clear as yours. Iā€™d eat it though. Looks good. Hope I can make it home with some sometime.

Wowee @brucesw, how great to hear from you. Itā€™s been a few years and I had despaired of reading your entertaining input again. Iā€™m ever so happy to see you have prevailed against the diagnosis, and completely understand the lack of interest in dining discussions here. Much the same loss of interest is occurring elsewhere in this forum it seems as Covid rages. Mostly itā€™s been @NotDoobieWah, @jcostiones, myself and a few others chiming in occasionally, including @wifacita from the RGV! @Jaymes is around and will be delighted you are well enough to check back here.

Anyhoo, I hope you are taking advantage of the myriad of grocery and restaurant delivery options over the past couple of years. Itā€™s tough when you canā€™t get out much.

I havenā€™t seen that gumbo base before either but now itā€™s on my HEB list!

Iā€™ve been sticking close to home mostly but recently had a flavorful meal at Dak & Bop Korean eatery and a lunch at Amalfi Italian which I found dull though its virtues are often extolled in area forums.

Hoping all are doing well around here, itā€™s been a few months since we all conversed here.

Welcome back! Iā€™m happy to read your tales no matter what youā€™re eating.

https://www.dakandbop.com/

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome. Frenchyā€™s also has an etouffee base available. I found two gumbo bases at Central Market, too, but I have only been once in 3 years and donā€™t have any reason to make the trip. Iā€™m betting Frenchyā€™s will be better. Never had it at a Frenchyā€™s store, I donā€™t know if itā€™s even on the menu. Frenchy seems to be getting into a frozen food line.

ETA: Have been using curbside delivery at WM Neighborhood Mkt close by and Meyerland HEB. The latter is a huge store and I canā€™t handle browsing in person. No deliveries yet, although I have come close to ordering Dominoā€™s. Thereā€™s no good pizza for miles and miles and miles. And not much worth picking up, either of any variety.

1 Like

Christieā€™s and BBā€™s both look great. I got very partial to the chicken and sausage gumbo at Burtā€™s Cajun Meat Mkt in 5th ward. I know they have closed for good. I think that was another one of jcostiones favs, too. I canā€™t remember any others I was partial to.

1 Like

Sorry to be so slow in posting. Iā€™ve been ordering chicken thighs regularly from HEB but they get cooked and eaten up pretty fast. Been a long time since I had fried chicken that I made at home.

Now Iā€™ll see if I can figure out how to do thisā€¦

I didnā€™t get any usable pictures of just the basic product ā€“ too much steam. Hereā€™s the protein I was adding: 4 oz chicken thigh, shredded, 3.4 oz Richardā€™s Andouille and 2 oz Veronā€™s pork and crawfish sausage.

The Frenchyā€™s sausage I had in the freezer was 2 packs of their boudin, but I found both of these.

A-simmerinā€™ away

Da Bowl! Da Bowl!

I cooked it only about half as long as the directions called for. Some tomato - not much but very noticeable. Okra was mostly disintegrated and flavorless. Hah! Iā€™ve gone from detesting okra to complaining about it being over-cooked or tasteless.

Very good! Iā€™ll definitely do this again. I added no salt. The sausages brought their own and re-heating the next day the whole stew was saltier it seemed like. Still better than any Iā€™ve had from places in my general vicinity.

My next grocery order will include some store-made potato salad!

Oh yes. The package said to serve over white rice. I had my rice on the side.

3 Likes

Looks great. Itā€™s a good day for gumbo today, at least as of 2 hours ago. Iā€™ll look for that gumbo base.

Someone here on HO was a member of Houston Chowhounds as I recall. A few months back, Jay Francis was asking for recommendations for gumbo. He had a long list compiled and was checking them out. Iā€™m not a Facebook member so I can only see a few of the posts on this ā€˜Publicā€™ group and I lost track of it for a while. Donā€™t know if he came to any conclusions about the best

Itā€™s become a project.

Go figure.

Um, no mention of potato salad.

I was so disappointed in Goode Co. gumbo last weekend. It comes with rice in it instead of on the side and there was too much gummy rice. It was like eating rice porridge. The rest of the meal was just ok, but cā€™mon, $26 for fried shrimp???

I like Eugeneā€™s dark roux, but I havenā€™t had the chicken Mr. Francis complains of. I only order seafood gumbos.

He doesnā€™t mention Pappadeaux, but their version is above average imo.

1 Like

Eugeneā€™s is a new one on me. Is that the one that used to be Dantonā€™s?

1 Like

yes, the new name is hard to remember

1 Like

Another list, this one with disgustingly good looking pictures.

Bayou City Seafood and Pasta again puts in an appearance.

Howā€™s your gumbo crawl going, Lambowner.

1 Like