[Houston] Americanized Chinese Food

I consider a good local Chinese place as essential as a nearby Tex-Mex place. We have El Gallo on Gessner for Tex-Mex and have been looking for a Chinese restaurant since the demise of Hong Kong Chef in Bellaire.

We think we have one in Canine Inn, err Hunan Inn on I-10 just east of Bunker Hill. There’s nothing earth shattering but good 6.25 lunch specials with some nice big spare ribs as an appetizer.

Any suggestions for Tex-Mex or Chinese in a ten mile or so radius of our Spring Branch/Memorial mansions are welcome.

Yes we’re watching the Astros but on a DTV delay, watch a little, do some stuff, fast forward repeat.

(Lamb Owner) #2

I don’t have the required channel for the 'Stros, but I keep asking Alexa the score. Currently tied at the bottom of the 7th.

Isn’t that Hunan Inn a buffet? I’ve been to it once if so. Next to or near Burger Shack? It was good as I recall. I go to Chang’s on I-10 in the Garden’s at Westgreen exit. And I always get shrimp chow mein and chicken wings. Susie Wong’s moved to Katy from Westheimer by Phonecia long time ago, but driving past last weekend I see it is still (or back) operating on Westheimer. It is ok.

They serve North China items at North China on I-10 @ Hwy 6. You probably remember it was at Memorial City for decades.

I went to North China at least once a week until my place of business moved.

Did they close due to the loss of my dining?

Ironically I looked at their web site this morning due to a severe Chinese craving.

Hunan Inn is not a buffet. It’s in the Marshall’s shopping center on the south side of I-10.

Astros Win! Are there two better young players than Altuve and Correa?

(Lamb Owner) #4

Yippee!! I still don’t like their colors. Good job.

Good to know about Hunan Inn , will definitely check it out. I was thinking of Hunan Chef. It’s the buffet next to Burger Shack. A friend goes there every Monday.

Have you been to the new North China location?

(Lamb Owner) #5

I’d like to add a recommendation for Cafe Ginger, though not necessarily within your zone of stomping grounds, it has some of the best American Chinese I’ve had in a long while. The location on West Gray @ Shepherd is moving in 2018 further east on West Gray. There is a newly opened 2nd location on Post Oak.

Anyway, I love walking in this location with it’s elegant Chinese surroundings, fast service and excellent food. I like the soft shell crab they often have. The menu is large, and much of it is not in the linked site. I don’t know how this large restaurant will relocate within an abandoned Verts Kebab which I thought were all small take out places.