[Houston] Americanized Chinese Food

The menu and pics online for North China look very good. Wish it wasn’t so far out there.

1 Like

Glad you enjoyed it, it always smells so good when I walk in! They have a happy hour menu throughout the restaurant that we ordered from last time, so I tried some of the sushi items, all good. This location is very new, they were a couple of blocks away until earlier this year. Of course they will build some massive residential tower in that spot next, hence the move.

1 Like

All this talk propelled me over to Shanghai River for lunch, it’s been a while. I ordered the one thing that is always ordered, Spicy Shanghai Dumplings, which are not spicy at all really so I got an extra serving of red pepper & black bean paste on the side. These dumplings though. The table nearest us also ordered them after they saw ours. They are covered in a peanut sauce of the Vietnamese spring roll variety. The dumpling wrappers are super silky pasta. Easily the best thing I’ve had here.

Also ordered a cup of the egg drop corn soup (which was blessedly hot) and shared a mu shu pork which is held by one person to be the standard against which all others are judged.

I kept forgetting to take pics, but none of these dishes would photo well, I’m sure. I first met my in laws here many years ago as they assessed my fitness for duty to their son, so it has some sentimentality to it.

Also the music slays me each time. Mostly show tunes, but today I caught “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star” on a slow guitar.

Also, they are building a massive residential tower next to Shanghai too now, with a large variance sign out indicating it will be massiver that the average massive residential tower. There was last a Berryhill Taco there.

1 Like

I went to Shanghai River today for lunch. I got a spicy pepper chicken lunch combo, he got his usual mu shu pork. We shared my new favorite there, cold spicy peppercorn cabbage salad. Putting some pics of prior meals including spicy whole fish.

I have a trip planning to El Gallo, one of Sr Ostiones favorites as he mentioned in the OP. Anyone interested in coordinating a group visit? Missing his posts.

Spicy cabbage salad

Lunch combo spicy pepper chicken

Crispy shrimp comes with spicy dipping sauce

Whole fish topped with chopped vegetables in Hunan sauce

Peking duck

3 Likes

Did i mention on here somewhere that my tiny family had Christmas dinner (lunch), there this year?

I would be up for an El Gallo foray.
@wifecita @jaymes @brucesw

That’s amazing! What a great idea. Hope the tiny fam are all flourishing.

Let’s see who else might be game to visit The Rooster and see if we can agree on a day/time. A friend was there last weekend and she loved it.

@wifacita

3 Likes

I’d be up for it, too. Let’s start narrowing down a date.

3 Likes

Re: El Gallo, Long way for you to go!

Is a Saturday best for everyone?

Also, I can’t wait to try this:

2 Likes

Taking a bit of a hiatus from this board. Pondering my food related goals for the year(s) ahead. I’m probably not up for an El Gallo trek but will see what you get set up.

Hmmmm. Planning a Tex-Mex Ho-down on an Americanized Chinese thread??? Does this place have egg rolls in chili gravy? Wonton dumplings in chili gravy? Chop Suey tacos?

@Lambowner (or anyone) - ever been to Peking Cuisine on 59/69 @ Gessner? Used to be lauded as best Peking Duck in town. I know you’ve rec’d Fung’s. Just wondering about a comparison. I’ve been to Peking Cuisine a couple of times but didn’t get the duck; it never gets mentioned anywhere anymore, I think, so just wondering. The do have a Red Chili Oil Dumplings offering that looks good (re: Shanghai River).

2 Likes

This makes me hungry, of course, so I go make something to eat, have to take a nap, then start pondering all over again.

1 Like

Haha, isn’t retirement great! This thread did veer off so when it needs clarification, I or someone else should put it in its proper place.

1 Like

I started going to Rooster long before they made it big. The Gessner location was my go to. They have added a lot more items to the menu since then.
Are we going to meet there? there’s one by Gessner & Long Point and Chimney Rock and Richmond.
Come on! I miss everyone.

3 Likes

I’ll start ponding on December 31st to end the year with a bang! then, I’ll be moving to the Rio Grande Valley! 1 1/2 from South Padre Island. Come on down where the Snow Birds hang out every winter.

2 Likes

Are we still talking about El Gallo? Name a date or dates good for you! @Jaymes said she’d come in for it! And others are interested. Oh man! Moving to RGV! Luckily you can give us recommendations for that area’s dining options!

3 Likes

Where in the RGV are you going?
I get down there with some regularity.

Alamo, Tx. 78516

1 Like