Hoping for suggestions to incorporate ...

Hi, All.
I’m doing a nicely sized pork shoulder this weekend. So with your encouragement, I’ll take a mallet to the crystals, then incorporate the salt into my dry rub.

I currently have a ridiculous variety of salts and have been using my coarse pink salt in preparations where it dissolves (I don’t need yet another salt grider right now).
Stews, sauces, soup, and marinades. I think it’s supposed to be used as a finishing salt (just before serving). If you don’t have a grinder a mortar and pestle works great. Or even blitzing in a spice grinder (that has never ground coffee!) would work.

1 Like

Jimmy , I have a multiple supply of different salts . I would use in a brine or pasta water , or whatever. Use it you’ll like it.

1 Like

Was that snark, and directed at me? I didn’t ask for a photo (surprised you found that such a chore :sweat: ), and certainly didn’t need to see how to use the jar, since I already use the jars. What I was hoping to find out is how to re-use the jars, replenishing them with spice.

I live in Italy, and the tops of these grinder-attached jars don’t come off , even with extreme muscle, as far as I’ve ever been able to figure out

[Edited to add: Just did some googling, and one manufacturer of these grinder-in spice jars has put up video instructions on its Facebook page about how to remove the top and re-use the jar, but that is just one brand:

https://www.facebook.com/cannamela.spezie/videos/585511004910365/

1 Like

Make sure you’ve taken all of the plastic off and that you’re trying to unscrew it at the right spot.

2 Likes

Don’t apologize, there are plenty of the pre-loaded mills here in USA that also sealed. I’ve broken a few trying to refill them.

Aloha,
Kaleo

1 Like

No, I’m with you HolyTerroir- I have encountered some of these that DON’T come off.

why would salt from the himalayas be associated with truffles? from france or italy? weird…

1 Like

it keeps the lemon zest from oxidizing and going brown.

2 Likes