[Hong Kong] Dim sum at Lin Heung Teahouse, Wellington Street.

(Peter) #1

Lin Heung Teahouse is one of those old-school dim sum places where trolley-carts still rule the roost. 90 years old this year, and still outrageously popular. Try to avoid peak breakfast hours (7am-9am) when folks jostle for their food - trolley-carts emerging from the kitchen will be assailed from all sides by seemingly starving and very aggressive diners.

1. Dai bao (“big bun”, with the requisite pork, chicken, scallions, Chinese waxed sausage, hard-boiled egg & other goodies in the filling, with nice fragrance/aroma from the Shaoxing wine, ginger juice, soy sauce marinade.) - very tasty here, though I had a better one in Ipoh’s Foh San.

1. “Cheung fun” (shrimp-filled, in a more traditional, thicker noodle roll)

1. Chiuchow-style steamed dumplings, with chopped jicama, chives and shrimp filling.

1. Steamed pork, shitake mushroom and fish-maw - this was so good, we ordered seconds. Definitely worth a trip to Lin Heung just for this:

1. Thousand-layer steamed cake - one of my fave Chinese cakes since I was a young kid: layered with custard & salted duck’s eggyolk.

Address: Lin Heung Tea House, Tsang Chiu Ho Building, 160 Wellington St, Sheung Wan, Hong Kong. Tel: +852 2544 4556.

3 Likes

Houston Dim Sum

That reminds of a time long ago on a different continent when the carts kept passing by without a pretty standard offering that the table craved. Finally one of the party went to the kitchen and came back with the goodies; can’t remember how the accounting was handled.

1 Like

(:@)) :@)) ) #3

Went straight there the first morning in HKG, or when we returned from China. Checked out several other places as well just to compare but Ling Heung was most enjoyable (not to mention most delicious). It was always full but we didn’t have to wait long for seats.

My partner learnt the word “har kao” and everytime an employee came out of the kitchen with the cart he would walk quickly to her and said the word. Yes, other people would also rush to the cart. It went empty really fast.

I never had the cake. Looks nice. Is it like custard buns, more or less? Same idea and method.

1 Like

(Peter) #4

BoneAppetite - there’s always that order card on each table where the server marked the items served to you. When you go after one of the carts or into kitchen, just bring along the card :slight_smile:

0 Likes

(Peter) #5

Presunto - yes, same ingredients as for a custard bun, just in a different form :smiley:

0 Likes

Old school indeed- the bird cages! Maybe these ah suk should try to bring one to the hotel dim sum joints!

1 Like

Now I remember – the kitchen incident happened where/when the bill was settled by counting plates and baskets !

1 Like

After the episode of closing end of February and reopening on March 1st, Lin Keung Tea House is now called Lin Keung Tea Room and no longer serves dinner. Note that the lease is prolonged for another 3 years starting from March 2019.

0 Likes

I have read this no longer existed, recent reviews noted that there were less crowd at peak hours than before. Reviews are very mixed, some complained about the cleanliness, some said the dim sum was great as before, some negative comments on food. I guess I will make up my mind with a meal there very soon.

1 Like

(Peter) #10

It’s be very disappointing if they do not maintain the quality of the food. I’ll await your verdict on the food.

0 Likes