Any new tidbits on Hong Kong (Spring 2019)

Apparently peel from China is not ok:

table 3-111:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/manuals/ports/downloads/miscellaneous.pdf

Well, when I read it, it was a bit more grey. Now, I know. What it states if I remember is that orange peel from Asia countries are not ok if raw. However, peels can be allowed if they are processed. However, as individual buyers, it is just not likely you get the proper documentation to prove the process is up to the spect. This is why you and I probably cannot bring orange peel from China, but you can still buy orange peel from China from a store – because the store owner got the documentation.

I was just too optimistic and thought the dried orange peel is “processed” by default and don’t need additional proof.

1 Like

The whole idea that orange peel is some sort of health risk is just ridiculous.

I don’t think the orange peel itself is (human) health risk. My understanding is that they argue that citrus peel can carry parasites which can affect US crops. The risk is not about you or me.

1 Like

But it’s dried and treated, how the parasites live on it is beyond my understanding?!

How about those French tea with citrus or orange peel in tiny bits. I’m sure I can mail you this without problem!

If your seller is willing not to label “mandarin” on the parcel but just tea, will it be fine? Sure, it’s a bit of a gamble…

I don’t think its a parasite, maybe a citrus virus?

Dunno, didn’t gamble this time around with it. I tried the mobile passport as well, much faster. Thanks @Google_Gourmet

Were there any CBP officers at the exit from the luggage carousels at SFO :wink:

Honestly, there was next to no one. Though most likely the odds of me bringing something that’s in the grey would most likely land me with six dudes asking me to have a quick lookover…

Yeah, a spot of tea is not worth a cavity search. ouch.

I have been buying quite a few nice ChenPi in US now. Here is another place I found today. You can see that they have a pretty good selection of the Xinhua ChenPi/新會陳皮 (Xinhua sun-dried tangerine peel). ChenPi itself and ChenPi Pu Erh tea. Different kind of ChenPi: Big red, second red, green…etc. Different years…etc. The selection is not as extensive as some places in China, but probably more than enough for most people – except those who truly care the fine details.

My point is that you can buy Chinese ChenPi in US stores, and the selection is definitely here.

1 Like

Huh, which place is that at? And sorry if I’m mistaken, but isn’t your home base also in Toronto? Or that you just visit it often?

No, I live in US. I have visited Toronto 2-3 times. Maybe you thought that because I wrote about my CCK knives bought from Toronto.

Anyway, you can buy Chinese Chenpi at many places, and even the famous Xinhua Chenpi. As for the photo, it was taken from Chung Chug City (蟲草城) in San Gabriel LA:
140 W Valley Blvd Unit 124, San Gabriel, CA 91776
(at first they were worry about me taking the photo, but I convinced them)

Oh I just thought Toronto because of the topic about dim sum at Koi Palace and you mentioned Lai Wah Heen. Anywho, if I’m ever around in LA I’ll stop by and give that a shot though I’m sure I can find them somewhere in SF area

Well, there are like four Chung Chug City (蟲草城) in Bay Area – I was just talking to the store employees yesterday about how many they have at what area – so you will easily find some.

By the way, are you looking for pure ChenPi or the ChenPi tea? If it is ChenPi peel, I can also recommend Nam Hai Corporation (南海) on Grand Ave at SF Chinatown. It only has three selection, but its most expensive version is moderately price and has a nice flavor/fragrance. There are also two Chung Chug City stores, so you have numerous selection there.

Wait, there’s four of them? Haha never really noticed them too much. I was just looking for the tea itself, and not the young Puerh with tangerine peel. That one was way acidic for my tastes. But I had a really nice steamed fish at the Chairman that had some aged tangerine peels so I might just buy the peels as well. Thanks for the recommendations.

" not the young Puerh with tangerine peel. That one was way acidic for my tastes."

Oh I remember our conversation.
As for the ChenPi Pu Erh tea, even Koi Palace was selling their own version of ChenPi Pu Erh tea. I have no idea if they are any good.
Take your time to get the ChenPi you like as they are different variations. Good luck.

Bought a couple of ChenPi and didn’t have a chance to share until today (the same store we were talking about earlier)

1 Like

After the episode of closing end of February and reopening on March 1st, Lin Keung Tea House is now called Lin Heung Tea Room and no longer serves dinner. Note that the lease is prolonged for another 3 years starting from March 2019.

I have read this no longer existed, recent reviews noted that there were less crowd at peak hours than before. Reviews are very mixed, some complained about the cleanliness, some said the dim sum was great as before, some negative comments on food. I guess I will make up my mind with a meal there very soon.

1 Like

It’s be very disappointing if they do not maintain the quality of the food. I’ll await your verdict on the food.

1 Like