Homemade savory tarts you bake and recommend

My sister sent this link to me when I asked about her onion tart recipe. Aside from being dead simple to make, it’s delicious.

What’s your go to savory tart recipe?

Do you have an onion tart recipe to share?

Rooster

2 Likes

I don’t really have a go to recipe, but I’ve made 2 really good spinach and ricotta tarts, but substituting Swiss chard. The original old Moosewood cookbook. I bump up the spices a bit, and whatever you do, don’t use their buttermilk pastry crust. It handled like a dream but came out very tough. Also there are some wonderful savory tarts in both The Greens cookbook and Fields of Green book.

I’ll be happy to send pics of the recipes if you’d like @Rooster.

yes, please. Thanks.

Will do! @rooster.

I don’t have a go to recipe for tarts either but some of my favorite flavors -

Tomato, asperagus and gruyere (bound with egg)

Goat cheese, caramelized onion

Ricotta, roasted red pepper, salami

I really like a black pepper crust with a savory tart too.

2 Likes

Black pepper crust -

2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper (more or less to liking)
1/8 tsp sugar
1 1/4 stick butter, cold, cut into bits
1/3 cup cold shortening (sometimes I do all butter)

3 Tbs sour cream
3 Tbs cold water

Cut butter/shortening into all dry ingredients until incorporated but still peas sized pieces of butter - mix sour cream with cold water - using fork incorporate into dry mixture until sort of combined - on floured surface roll out to about 18x6" rectangle (I never measure), fold into 3rds (letter fold), roll back out, fold again, roll out, fold again - chill - roll out for tart and then par-bake at 375 with parchment and weights for about 20 min, then 10 minutes with parchment/weights removed.

4 Likes

Oh I forgot pea and pancetta too - lovely combo, again with an egg/milk binding.

Now I am thinking - what is the difference between a quiche and a tart . . . I guess you can make a quiche without an exterior crust but is this a “not all tarts are quiches but all quiches are tarts” kind of thing . . . .

1 Like

Right up my alley, Thimes. Thxs.

Are all quiches made with egg? Where a tart isn’t?

1 Like

That tart looks delicious, but I’m always curious about the use of puff pastry (vs regular/shortcrust) when it’s completely flattened out :thinking:

I make a tomato “tarte tatin” - slow roast halved plum (or other) tomatoes, arrange (cram) in a baking dish, sprinkle a little cheese, and cover with ready pastry, lightly pressing down and around. Bake till golden, let cool slightly, then carefully flip onto a dish to serve.

There’s no custard, so it’s intense tomato flavor with a bit of cheese to bind it to the crust.

Some recipes use sugar or caramel - I don’t want it sweet.

2 Likes

I’m not sure - but your linked video, which we are calling a tart, is bound with an egg/milk mixture . . . so it no longer a tart and now a quiche?

I think I’m having some existential naming struggles recently (reflected in a few threads on HO in the past week or two) LOL

:wink: me too.

Wow, this looks good! Thanks for the recipe, gotta try!

Same here @Thimes, I too will be trying your crust. Thanks for posting it!

Here is pie, crust is from HT. Pillsbury recipe , modified it a bit. used poe crus instead of Pillsbury crescent rolls ( out)
I pricked the crust, smothered some honey mustard then layered gruyere cheese on bottom ( I think this helps bottom from getting soggy)
caramelized half a cup of onion with 2 tablespoon of butter, added 4 cups of thinly sliced zucchini , add another tablespoon of butter, fresh garden herbs( parsley, oregano, basil) S/P,
Add 2 cups of shredded cheese( mozzarella, whit cheddar. provolone. asiago cheese mixture), to 2 eggs, anid then folded the vegetable. Had taken out some dehydrated cherry to add but forgot all about it. 375 degrees for 25minutes.

2 Likes

I feel the pressure now. Let me know how it goes.

1 Like

Ha! Will let you know @Thimes. Again, thanks!

I’ve got one recipe here that I’ve made several times & is delicious. Have made enough changes, so not worried about copy right issues. Will send other ideas from The Greens Cookbook by Deborah Madison and Fields of Greens.

See tart recipe above @Rooster; please message me if you have any more questions.

Some additional ideas for you: All From The Greens Cookbook by Deborah Madison with Edward Espe Brown

Artichoke Tart
Eggplant - Tomato Tart
Red and Yellow Pepper Tart
Spinach and Goat Cheese Pie
Chard and Saffron Tart
Sorrel-Onion Tart
Leek and Mustard Pie
Winter Squash Tart
Roquefort Tart

1 Like

Here are some additional ideas for you @Rooster. From Fields of Greens by Annie Somerville:

SW Corn Tart
Eggplant and Roasted Garlic Tart
Spring Tart with Asparagus and Red Onions
Tomato-Basil Tart with Smoked Mozzarella
Leek and Olive Tart

Some of these combos may have been mentioned above.

1 Like