HOMEMADE PIZZA - Winter 2024 (Jan-Mar) Dish of the Quarter

I make a similar thick bechamel for white pizza. In fact, anytime I’m making white sauce for something else, I make extra and freeze it for pizza, because we always have at least one white pie when we’re making pizza at home.

I finished it off (cold) this morning with my coffee. I was kind of glad Sunshine didn’t like it… more for me!!

Cold pizza and hot coffee… I have no idea why I enjoy that combination so much, but I do.

8 Likes

Same. And to @biondanonima’s point, it takes a good bit of tweaking to get a dough that works for your home baking setup – i don’t have a screaming hot oven, and usually tend to do most of my pizza baking in a countertop oven, which gets hot, but is never going to be close to a pizza oven setup.

Of late, I really like Roberta’s dough recipe, which I’ve made even with all-AP and has turned out well. Last time I tried Mark Bittman’s method to pan-cook the dough first, which is not dissimilar to Serious Eats version where they start the dough on a hot cast iron pan stovetop, and finish under the broiler.

Let me find the links.

ETA:

Last time using Roberta’s + Bittman pan-frying method (finished under broiler):

Roberta’s dough (I frequently use all-AP, but you can add gluten too instead of using 00, which I plan to do soon):

Bittman pan-fried pizza method

Serious Eats skillet-broiler pizza method

6 Likes

Your pizza makes me think of my flammkuchen experiment last fall. Essentially what you did only a thin layer of creme fraiche on the dough before topping. I used onions and sauteed mushrooms plus a little fresh thyme.

7 Likes

Yum

Have been able to find one grocery store in my area in Texas that has a Galbani brand whole milk mozarella; however, it is not the Pofesionale series. They label says Italian Style. Hope it is good. Thank you for bringing this brand to my attention.

1 Like

Has anyone tried the pizza monkey bread that was on a tik tok video? I saw it on Insta, and am ready to give it a whirl in the next few days. Only I’m doubting the cook time. He says 2 lbs of dough in a springform at 450 for 20 min. That seems short to me. He says to make a hole in the middle and insert an oven safe ramekin or something. It’s a kitchy place holder for a bowl of sauce later. But it would push up the dough to be even higher/thicker, and is it really going to cook in 20? Or will the center be raw? Anyhoo, I don’t have any ramekins. Just don’t. My husband suggested using a rock from the garden. Good grief. But I may, if I can’t think of another sub. He said not to use an empty metal can (like from tomatoes) just in case any chemicals leach in.

In place of a ramekin: a balled up piece of foil (possibly lightly oiled)?

3 Likes

Or, wrap a brick in foil.

1 Like

I’ve had too many failures with round pizzas. A local place had those Roman-style pizzas, originally sold by the ounce, and I decided to try it at home. They used a very high hydration at 80%, and a 72 hour cold fermentation. I did too, but it never got that thick but airy rise, until I cornered the pizzaiolo and asked him about it. “How much yeast?” he asked. About a teaspoon for 300g of flour. “Too much!” he said. They used about that for five pounds of flour. The next time, I just added a pinch of yeast. Here’s one of the results:

And here’s what I was trying to duplicate. The pizzeria closed last year, because the owners moved to Connecticut.

:

13 Likes

It depends on the dough/hydration level - do you make the dough yourself or is it purchased?

How did it taste? I think it looks darned good.

Damned good, in fact!

2 Likes

This time, Trader Joe’s dough.

Hm, no idea what the hydration level is there, but I would try the 20 mins at 450 followed by another 10 at 350 to make sure the interior is fully cooked.

1 Like

Both look so good!

Weekend project! Thanks for the tip.

Spinach, pancetta, and caramelized onion personal pan pizza with a garlicky white sauce. Used part of a ball of dough from Market Basket.

Crust should have been stretched a bit more thinly to get a bit crispier, the crust edges should have been brushed with some butter to crisp up, and a sprinkle of Aleppo pepper would have added a nice bit of heat, but I was hongry! Overall, the leetle baby pie was very good.

13 Likes

I was hoping you’d post your lovely π here as well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was so glad to finally be able to participate in a DOTQ thread!

1 Like