HOMEMADE PIZZA - Winter 2024 (Jan-Mar) Dish of the Quarter

I agree about Quesillo de Oaxaca which is meant to be super stretchy and stringy. I find the same true of many Mozzarellas available in Super Markets.
Belfiore Flue Di Latte, some Mozzarellas(Grande comes to mind) and of course Mozzarella di bufala are creamy melters rather than stringy and rubbery (Polly-O, Kraft, etc…)

Given these 2 options, which do folks pick for pizza?

Whole milk pre-shredded mozzarella, or part-skim block to shred myself?

Early in thread I mentioned having ready access to whole milk mozz blocks. But in the last 10 days, all they’ve had were part skim.

I talked to the dept manager today and she said she’d check into why they weren’t getting shipped the whole milk version.

Making a 15-inch deep dish pizza tonight. I grabbed a brick of part skim mozz and also 2 packages of pre-shredded whole milk.

1 Like

It depends on the brand, but I would probably go with the pre-shredded whole milk. You can rinse off the cellulose or whatever anti-caking agent it’s coated with for a smoother melt (blot dry on paper towels before using).

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

The best thing you can do for ny pizza is ask your local pizzerias if they use grande mozzarella and if so, would they sell you some. Everywhere we’ve lived I’ve found a source, alternatively you can order online but it’s expensive to have it shipped. Grande dominates the nyc pizza market.

I made two different pizzas for dinner tonight - I couldn’t decide whether I wanted thin or thick crust, so we had two different kinds of cheese pizza.

Thin = Roman style cracker crust
Thick = Chicago style deep dish (but square pan because I didn’t have the right size round one)

Both recipes from “No Gluten, No Problem Pizza” - an almost-identical combination of brown rice flour, cornstarch, potato starch, and millet flour. The dough uses a combination of xanthan gum and ground psyllium to make up for the elasticity that gluten provides.

The deep dish was not great - the crust wasn’t right. Definitely not a keeper.

The thin crust was good, but I pulled it out of the oven a minute before I should have. However, it was super quick and easy - the dough is rolled out immediately after mixing and thrown right into a 550F oven to parbake, giving it some nice bubbles. Aside from preheating the oven for an hour, the prep time was under 20 minutes.
IMG_5159
IMG_5160

13 Likes

I tried a new dough, Joe Beddia’s. I thought it worked pretty well - it was easy to get it as thin as I wanted. One pie with fresh tomato, mozzarella and mushroom, and one with marinara and three cheeses (mozz, asiago, parm). I preferred the marinara, which I did not expect. It would’ve been a good idea to get some basil, in retrospect.

13 Likes

Looks good!

What was your baking setup and what type of flour?

Bread flour, and I use a steel. Preheat the broiler for a half hour or so, and pies cook in 3ish minutes. I wish I were better at stretching evenly.

2 Likes

I bought vital wheat gluten because I didn’t want to stock bread flour on top of WW, Chapati, and AP (and for a while White Lily type low gluten for cake etc) but I keep forgetting to add the gluten :woman_facepalming:t2:

For a while, I had AP, bread, 00, rye, matzoh cake meal and teff. That is too many damn flours. I’m down to just the first two, now. But I am starting to feel the need to stock up again.

1 Like

Erm. Those are only the wheat flours. I don’t wanna talk about how many others there are :roll_eyes:

1 Like

So far, I haven’t needed anything else. Plus, I’m short on space, so I can’t keep that much on hand at one time.

Indian pantry + asian pantry = lots of stuff

1 Like

@small_h and @Saregama you probably won’t be able to tell the difference btw using kaap and kaab to make pizza and you may find you prefer AP.

that is a really fast bake, do you have a sense of the surface temp of the steel? do you turn the broiler off after preheat?

No, but next time I’ll train my thermometer gun on it and have an answer for you!

Nope, that never occurred to me.

550f is a good place for nyc pizza, prob an 8-10 min bake. A three minute bake would prob be around 750-800f. Otoh your crust looks really good, no need to change it if you like the way it tastes.

I have beddia’s book somewhere, he has some great topping recipes.

1 Like

I’ve followed Lahey’s baking instructions since the get go, and I’m generally pretty happy with them. I need to get better at handling the dough, is my next step.

1 Like

I dunno, you’ve built a nice rim there, what would u like to change?

1 Like