Homemade Ice Cream and Ice Pops

Yeah, you have to really keep an eye out for them if you want to buy them already picked around here. The season is very brief and the berries don’t hold or travel well.

1 Like

Oh! I hope you like it :slight_smile:
RLB’s recipes can be … a lot, but the payoff is almost always also a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like

Strawb. (ETA: it’s my usual recipe.)

7 Likes

Does anyone have a favorite source for popsicle recipes?

I haven’t used it myself (I don’t have molds or anyone else around who’d partake), but Fany Gerson’s Paletas was popular years back on CH, when it was a summertime companion COTM. Eat Your Books has links to a number of the recipes reprinted online, I see.

3 Likes

I’ve made a number of her recipes, 5% Fage yogurt, FM blackberries.

6 Likes

Here it is, one of the most laborious and most delicious things I’ve ever made: black raspberry ice cream. The recipe is from RLB’s book “Rose’s Ice Cream Bliss.” I picked the berries on Monday and made the berry purée that same day; made the custard Tuesday, chilled the mixture overnight, and churned Wednesday.

I was working in a kitchen without a scale and that gave me a lot of anxiety, but these berries cannot be made to wait, so I soldiered on.

The flavor of this is just indescribable. It doesn’t taste like raspberry or blackberry or really anything else. It tastes like the most intense berry essence, and the texture is like edible velvet.

Mom doesn’t like black raspberries, she says. So it’s all for me :two_hearts:

14 Likes

OMG, want.

2 Likes

Wow, that is absolutely luscious!

1 Like

that looks incredible!

1 Like

I have another base for Bravetart’s Stracciatella Gelato (Sweet Cream and Chip Gelato) chilling in the fridge. Its my favorite!

Now I need to peruse The Perfect Scoop for the next ice cream or sorbet project.

3 Likes

I’ve long wanted to try that particular gelato recipe.

Its reeeeeeeeeeally good! Full disclosure: I just used regular whole milk and heavy cream rather than grass-fed because my neighbor doesn’t have a particularly discerning palate. I’ve always made it with grass-fed dairy before and everyone has completely loved it.

1 Like

@NJChicaa I’ve made it with and without grass fed and can’t tell the difference

2 Likes

To add a different viewpoint, I’ve made it and thought it was really, really bad. Stella uses FAR more sugar than anyone does for this. Completely inedible for me. And there are comments on the recipe saying as much, so it’s not just my usual feeling on this. Plus like I said if you compare it to any other recipe for the same gelato it contains a much higher amount.
For example, the stracciatella recipe in Mozza contains a bit more dairy (4 cups to 3.5 in Stella’s) and 1/2 cup of sugar, so 100 grams, along with 1/4 cup of corn syrup, which isn’t as sweet as sugar. Stella’s recipe contains 265 g of sugar (1 1/3 cups).
DL in his fleur de lait (fior di latte, which is the base for stracciatella) recipe calls for 150 g sugar for 3 cups of dairy.

I’ve found almost every ice cream I’ve made from Stella too sweet (the pistachio in particular was a total letdown both in terms of the pistachio flavor after all the trouble AND excessive sweetness), but this one is in a league of its own. Her pineapple ice cream is my favorite of hers that I’ve made.

1 Like

thanks for your viewpoint! She does lean to the extra-sweet. Have you tried her Devil’s Food Chocolate Ice Cream? That one never disappoints. Is the pineapple ice cream on Serious Eats?

Stella is known for too sweet across the board, though - is it not possible to dial back the sugar to taste?

I almost never use the written amount of sugar (or salt) in anything without tasting, because palates vary so widely, and how could the recipe writer possibly have exactly my desired level.

Re Mozza gelato — the use of corn syrup anywhere turns me off, but in gelato of all places it seems unnecessary.

1 Like

I dial back the sugar for a lot of Stella’s recipes for this reason and the thing is I actually did dial it back for this, too, and it was still too sweet. I remember I looked at this recipe:

This recipe is also higher in sugar than most, but still 65 g less than Stella’s with 1/2 cup more dairy.

Stella if you check the comments on both the stracciatella and fior di latte (same base recipe and it’s also used in the goat milk and berry ripple ice cream) gives her usual recommendation to not cut sugar and instead add more salt and use toasted sugar, which I find absurd because I’ve both cut sugar from her recipes very successfully (no reason it wouldn’t be successful when recipes for the same baked goods and also ice creams typically contain less than what she calls for), and because more salt can’t make up for the amounts she often uses. I also stopped bothering with toasted sugar because it never comes through in actual baked goods when toasted until pretty dark, and when toasted light as she recommends for most recipes, I have never found the supposed marked difference in sweetness.
Also even with sugar reduction the texture was very soft, which is why she says not to cut sugar (along with her very high sugar tolerance). There are a few comments that refer to the texture as “goopy”.

Mozza’s stracciatella gelato is delicious. I do use more salt than the 1/8 tsp recommended (unusual for a recipe in a Silverton cookbook to be timid), and I find 1/4 tsp to be a good starting point for most ice creams. I don’t have any issues with corn syrup, but yes, in gelato in particular it’s really helpful. I have also been considering using pectin as I have some regular pectin that needs using (pectin NH is what I end up needing for almost every recipe that requires some). The recipe linked includes jam presumably for the pectin it provides.

@NJChicaa i haven’t tried that one since I don’t typically go for super dark chocolate ice creams, but I would imagine it would be good on sweetness given the inclusion of all that cocoa and chocolate.

1 Like

The pineapple ice cream is on Serious Eats. I made a batch last week with a pineapple my husband brought back from Hawaii. It is delicious.

2 Likes

I believe that comparing Nancy Silverton and Stella Parks gelato recipes is apples to oranges.

In Silverton’s cookbook, each gelato recipe is headed with a warning that it should be eaten the day it’s made as it will get too hard in the freezer. Stella Parks gelato and ice cream recipes keep a nice texture when stored in the freezer.