Homemade Ice Cream and Ice Pops

I just tried it … it worked. I love learning something new. Is there a way to do this on my I Pad?

So images are now in Word doc on my PC but I don’t know a way to send this image to my friend so, for now, I’ll keep it in my computer and show her when she stops by.

Does your friend have an email address?? You can attach the .doc file to an email.

Sorry, can’t help you with that one… I’m an old Microsoft (PC) guy, I don’t know the first thing about Apple.

Making another batch of lemon verbena ice cream tonight, since I still have lots of LV in the garden and there will be the first frost of the year any night now.

4 Likes

I’ve really improved my technique since this photo and upgrading to Onyx SS molds is a big reason why.

1 Like

Visited my favorite NYC creamery, Malai, and really enjoyed this cone of pistachio-saffron. Definitely a flavor combo I’d love to tinker with at home.

6 Likes

David Lebovitz’s Pumpkin Ice Cream.

Deets on the Holiday Treats Thread.

3 Likes

I made raspberry/yogurt paletas, strained out the seeds BUT next I’ll use a finer strainer cause some seeds went through.

2 Likes

7 Likes

I just stumbled upon a FB marketplace listing for an ice cream shop available in my town, turnkey. Sigh.

3 Likes

A few days ago I made the Baked Occasions peppermint stick ice cream via David Lebovitz’s post.

I made it into ice cream sandwiches. I used the chocolate ice cream sandwich recipe on Smitten Kitchen.

Ihttps://smittenkitchen.com/2021/06/chocolate-ice-cream-sandwiches/

Wow, the ice cream sandwiches are fantastic as is the ice cream by itself. I like it so much I’m considering making a second batch.

Crushing the candy canes was initially a challenge. First I tried using a rolling pin with little success, then I tried using a ten inch cast iron pan with little success. Finally I used a twelve inch enameled cast iron pan (In other words, it was heavy.); it worked nicely. I got candy cane bits all over the kitchen including the floor. One of my dogs refused to eat them; my other dog thought they were delicious.

I recommend that you use a shallow nine by twelve pan for the cookies. I used one with three inch sides and it was difficult to spread the batter evenly.

5 Likes

I always have peppermint ice cream for Christmas but I couldn’t find my favorite in any of the grocery stores. I’ll have to give this recipe a try. I ended up making eggnog ice cream, added a little bourbon.

1 Like

This peppermint ice cream has a lovely texture. It has quite a bit of peppermint extract which seems to have enough alcohol to keep it smooth.

1 Like

The sandwiches sound amazingly delicous!

Would it help to put the candy-canes in a bag before crushing?

It might help to put the candy canes in a bag. However, I am committed to reducing my consumption of single use plastic.

1 Like

Just wrapping them in a tea towel would have a similar effect.

I believe that would result in a towel full of sticky candy cane shards.

I ended up putting the candy canes on a cutting board and smashing them with my heaviest enamel cast iron pan. As that method worked well, I’m not looking for another method.

Have any of you made a honey ice cream you particularly like? Got some nice honey for Xmas and want to use it in ice cream.

I haven’t made it, but I’ve read lots of raves for Alice Medrich’s recipe in Pure Dessert.

Here’s one:

FTR I think part of the sweetness being too much is that 1/8 tsp of salt is too little.

Another write-up:

1 Like

Coming up soon… butter pecan (based on an epicurious recipe). I’m always looking for the buttery, nutty pecan ice cream of my yout’ - Baskin & Robbins was a revelation back then, but I’ve not found any commercial brands I like. This has got to be better :slight_smile:

Thank you! I’m making this :slight_smile:

1 Like