Homemade Holiday Food Gifts

i usually roll the dough in logs, then cut into 1/4-inch slices and bake @ 350 for 10-12 minutes. But, the more traditional formation will take longer. I’ve never done it, so i can’t say how long exactly for sure, but 30 minutes sounds too long.

1 Like

I think that’s what my “traditional” shortbread recipe calls for. But then that’s baked in an 11x13 pan. Then it gets topped with chocolate before cutting into squares.

So far, I have received :laughing: from friends

• Jams, including the fetish green zebra tomato confiture, raspberries jam
  • toffee cream with salty butter
  • plum wine
  • macaroons (small cakes) - my friend, a fashion design, offers this to her business clients at her booth in trade shows

Me to them:

• Meringue biscuits
  • Cannelés of Bordeaux (another cake)
2 Likes

corrected version (just noticed that i forgot to include the last line in my precious post, but it was too late to edit)

chocolate-espresso snowballs (adapted from bojon gourmet)

3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (3.5 ounces / 100 grams) almond flour
1/2 cup (1.75 ounces / 50 grams) cocoa powder
2 tablespoons (.5 ounces /15 grams) tapioca flour (cornstarch works)
1 tablespoon espresso powder
6 tablespoons (2 ounces / 60 grams) dark brown sugar (white works)
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 cup (4 ounces / 115 grams) toasted, finely chopped pecans
1 stick (4 ounces / 115 grams) unsalted, cold butter, in 1/2" pieces
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons each powdered sugar and cocoa

preheat to 350ºF. line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or grease lightly).

in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the almond flour, cocoa powder, tapioca flour, sugar, salt and espresso powder. add the pecans, scatter the butter pieces over the top, then sprinkle over the vanilla. mix on low until the butter is incorporated and the dough forms large clumps, 1-2 minutes. (a food processor works as well) transfer dough to a covered container and chill for 30 minutes (or up to several days).

sift the powdered sugar and into a shallow bowl. form tablespoon-sized 1" balls of dough and roll them in the sugar-cocoa mix, knocking off any large clumps, and place the balls on the baking sheet an inch or two apart.

bake until puffed and cracked, 18-22 minutes. the cookies will be soft at first but should crisp up when cool. (if they’re still soft when cool, return them to the oven to bake them a bit longer).

let the cookies cool, then dust with the remaining sugar-cocoa mixture.

1 Like

I’ve made a variety of things over the years - fig jam with figs straight from my tree, onion jam, hot pepper sandwich spread, infused oils, homemade vanilla extract, I could go on and on…lol All of these were delicious and appreciated but I find that sweets are the favorite.

The past few years I’ve been making big tins of assorted cookies and candies. I have a few old standby’s that go in every year like chocolate crinkle cookies, Italian almond cookies and pretzel/M&M candies, then I add 2 or 3 different items. I haven’t decided on what to do this year.

A while ago I made these cute “hot chocolate on a stick” packages. You make fudge using the sweetened condensed milk method and homemade marshmallows, cut into same size squares and skewer them onto lollipop sticks. Pour hot milk in a mug, swirl the stick around until everything is melted and voila! Hot chocolate!

2 Likes

All sound great, but especially curious about your homemade hot pepper spread. I buy one from Sclafani and would love a homemade alternative.

1 Like

This is actually my dad’s creation and I would LOVE to market it one of these days. He used to get a variety of fresh peppers with varying degrees of heat - typically Anaheim, jalapeno and a couple cayenne, string them up by their stems and dry them in the closet for at least 4 months. Once dried, he would rip the tops off and shake out the seeds. Next, heat a cast iron skillet (preferably do this outside) until it’s screaming hot and add the peppers, tossing them around until they’re a little charred, very crispy and puffed. Off the heat, add a heavy dose of olive oil and smash the peppers until they’re pulverized into a paste. Let that cool completely and add more olive oil to thin it out. Pour into a jar and you’re done! Not only does this keep forever, but a little goes a long way. We use this on pretty much everything, but mostly sandwiches and my dad likes to drizzle some on pizza.

Alternatively, you can skip the drying process like I do and just buy a mixture of dried peppers from the store. :grin:

My mom loved this hot pepper spread but she HATED when he would make it because he would do it inside and choke everyone out of the house. I have great memories of my mom screaming “FRANK, YOU’RE KILLING YOUR CHILDREN!”

13 Likes

Ohmygod, the ending of that story is priceless! Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

OMG! Where have these been all my life?

I would like to submit my application for “friend”…!!!

2 Likes

I like to give gifts that don’t have to be eaten right away-i feel like everyone is inundated with treats during the holidays already…
My friends are always thrilled with the union square bar nuts recipe which is a serious crowd pleaser. I include a note that says they freeze well with them

For my friends who are seriously challenged in the kitchen i have gifted seasoned salts and easy spice blends along with a comprehensive list of ideas for how to use them- i was really touched when a friend text me last march to say she was panicking because she was almost out of the smoked salt/paprika/pepper/garlic blend i gave her

Granola is the dark horse- everyone loves it yet no one seems to make their own! It’s also a cheap easy and infinitely adaptable thing to make in large batches.
I’ve been making and sharing these crackers nonstop for the past few months, i think they would make a great gift as is or along with some jam and goat cheese. (I love them topped with mashed avocado, as a side for soup, crumbled into yogurt, with a bit of almond butter and sliced apple…)

3 Likes

All of these ideas look great! One I am considering giving this year is preserved lemons. They are really easy to make (Google the recipe), and you can get little fancy jars that hold only a few lemons. I usually add some red, green, and black whole peppercorns because they look nice, and sometimes some cloves, mostly for looks.
If you start soon they should be all nice and soft and ready to use by Christmas. They are really expensive if you purchase them at a store. Making them is inexpensive.
Another one I am considering is homemade vanilla extract. I haven’t made any before, but the recipes I have seen look really easy.

1 Like

I’ve wanted to make preserved lemons for the longest time. Like your colorful peppercorns idea, too. Maybe this will be my year. :smile:

Homemade Bailey’s is simple as all-get-out, too–your vanilla made me think of it.

Do make them. They are really easy. last forever in the fridge and absolutely delicious.

2 Likes

Do you have a favorite Bailey’s recipe?

I do! Super simple and room to customize as you like.

3 Likes

Planning ahead!

We always make baklava and other Greek pastries. Additionally/or homemade jams, chutney’s and sauces. To a select few I’ve given lime or lemon curd. People start asking about the baklava around this time of year. We make pans and pans of it, box it nicely and tie it with wired ribbon. We all enjoy the process and our house smells great the month of December.

3 Likes

Do you mail it or give it locally? My son has making baklava in Turkey. He says that’s where it’s REALLY from. :blush:

I usually make pepper jelly with ripe poblanos, and some are starting to turn red. I also like to do preserved lemons (if I get a lot of Meyers), spiced pecans, and dipped pretzels .

Both actually. For the pastries I mail, I wad up parchment paper and put it on top of the goodies in the box and it ships very well. The jams I just wrap well and cushion the whole box with extra paper.

1 Like