Homemade cornmeal buttermilk pancake mix?

Anyone have a recipe? I used to buy it at Dean and DeLuca, but alas, they are no more, at least in Napa. I wanted to be able to use buttermilk powder, and only have to add a minimum of wet ingredients when preparing.

Maybe something like this.

Here’s one, but the directions seem incomplete.

This one seems to be similar, but with no cornmeal, no shortening, and more directions.

Is there a conflict to resolve where if your mix has shortening included it will also not keep as well? I don’t know, so I’m asking.

I was wondering about that. The “butter flavored shortening” I am aware of is shelf stable crisco, so who knows? I have very little experience with it. I was wondering about the powdered buttermilk as well, sinceI keep that in the refrigerator. Both recipes say they keep six weeks, but I suspect I would use it up during the winter holidays.

1 Like

I also was thinking about your many gifts to others. When it’s for your own home and you’re pretty sure it will get used soon-ish, this suddenly becomes less of an issue.

1 Like

Yes; husband goes on and on and on and on about pancakes when he has a day off, and at zero dark thirty! ( which for me is 10 AM).

Buttered flavored Crisco is not butter flavored anymore. Take it from me.

3 Likes

True! Also, Crisco is not Crisco anymore @Miss_belle!

2 Likes

Thanks you guys. Pouring a little veg oil in with the eggs and whatever liquid won’t kill me…once. is there another kind of "better flavored shortening "? Maybe from King Arthur.

When making pancake mix ahead @shrinkrap, I store it in the freezer with great results. I’ll check sources for a recipe for you, using cornmeal - I’m sure they’re out there somewhere…

ETA: I would feel confident using the BHG recipe, but I’d probably use 1/2 butter flavored Crisco, and 1/2 butter, then store in the freezer; I’m thinking the results would be good.

2 Likes

I haven’t had Crisco in forever. They changed the formula I guess?

Yes, they sure did. They changed the formula so they could call it trans fat free, in the US anyway. The thing is, it still has trans fat, but their modification, and supposed lobbying worked, ergo the “new” version.

As a pie maker, I can assure you, I don’t get the same good results I used to. Have had to mix things up a bit to get crusts that are acceptable @DavidPF.

1 Like

Considering how that sort of complicated/sneaky messing around tends to happen, I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that lard is healthier anyway. (Except lard isn’t lard anymore either, so I give up.)

1 Like

You are definitely on the right track @DavidPF - lard is something like 40% less saturated than butter IIRC; while mass produced lard may not be optimal, I do use it in pie crusts, along with 1/2 butter OR 1/2 Crisco. I get pretty decent to excellent results. I’m unable to find leaf lard in my area, and have never ordered it. Maybe something to experiment with in the coming year…

This is a little late for answering, Hope I can interest you.
Are you familiar with Bibingka?
Thought. you. may like this .Our guests stayed till 3:00AM, slept over and so, for breakfast , we had waffles .
I then remember BIbinkga, which is a filipino pancake like breakfast made of rice flour. ]I used to make them during days when it was not hot, primarily spring and fall outdoors at mypirch. When I returned from my trip to manila in 1987, I brought back clay ovens made esp for Manila Hotel where it was a famous breakfast treat. I baked the bibungka with, charcoal on the bottom and charcoal on top. then, top with cheese and grated coconut using my Kabayo ( meaning horse, but it got thrown away by my carpenter by mistake, So, grating coconut using cuisinart was not the same) . here is a recipe bt I do not use salted eggs.

You can find other recipes if. you google and are interested. I typically like just like butter , cheddar cheese and finely grated coconut as topping. here is a picture of a clay oven that I have. If interested, I can look for a Kabayo which means horse, It is available and a few years ago, not expensive, I posted it for someone at hungry onions a few. years ago but cannot find it.
Nail it to a piece of low cut bench, straddle and sit on the horse, place a pan underneath to catch the coconut grated. gGrating is easy if you are a guy. The coconut comes out really fine .It makes fantastic coconut for dessert such as Palitaw , another filipino dessert that is very easy to cook ( using glutinous rice flour
159CF945-F68B-4C31-A8E5-53D1B58D2A20_4_5005_c
, toasted sesame seeds and brown sugar )but without that grated coconut, it is not the same.

2 Likes

@ccj there is a Goan dessert called Bebinca that is probably derived from similar Portuguese roots.

It’s fairly labor intensive - the cake is baked in layers (like thin pancakes) - one layer is set, then a little more batter poured in, and so on. The finished result looks like a crepe cake when sliced.