Homemade Candy

Hi Fellow Sweet Tooth Folks,

Does anyone else here like to make candy? Let’s share recipes.

I made these blood orange caramels. I figured this recipe would be good when I saw that it called for four cups of blood orange juice to be reduced to a half cup. I was not disappointed. The blood orange flavor is strong and the caramels are not overly sweet.

I omitted the cardamom because my husband dislikes it.

It didn’t take me nearly as long as the 45 minutes suggested in the recipe to reduce the blood orange juice. Word to the wise; cut and juice your blood oranges in your sink or outside if you don’t want your kitchen to look like a horror film.

11 Likes

At Christmas

At Thanksgiving

I’d be interested in expanding. My extended family enjoys small treats.

6 Likes

I’ve wanted to try my hand at caramels for a long time but I’m a bit intimidated…

I do like that this recipe doesn’t use corn syrup.
I wonder if I’d like the blood orange flavor :thinking:

The restaurant Landmarc in nyc used to give dark caramels with the bill — if I could recreate those some day, I’d be a happy soul!

3 Likes

That sounds amazing! I’m currently auditioning caramels for enrobing in chocolate. Haven’t found quite the right firmness yet. I’ve bookmarked this recipe, thanks!

I’ve made David Lebovitz’s salted butter caramels many times. They are fantastic. In fact, I make homemade candy every Halloween and several weeks in advance neighbors start checking with me to make sure that I will be making caramels.

In his post, which he’s removed, Lebovitz recommends using cultured butter if you can. I always do.

I use Lyle’s Golden Syrup as the syrup. I don’t have any scientific objection to corn syrup, but golden syrup tastes better.

I recommend that you use pasteurized but not ultra-pasteurized cream. To me, ultra-pasteurized cream tastes chalky and has a grainy consistency.

5 Likes

Agree. We used rice and golden syrup for a better flavor.

1 Like

Using this recipe as a guidepost I’m going to try grapefruit and rosemary bitters for Easter. Fingers crossed.

2 Likes

@maccrogenoff - I appreciate the vote of confidence but welcome any tips before I begin. Thxs.

Reading a bit from the website. I wasn’t familiar with them or their cookbook. Looks like I’m going to be geeking out on their veg recipes at some point!

1 Like

Tips, Practice mise en place; have everything measured and close by before you start cooking. Make sure that your parchment or foil lined pan is ready before you start cooking.

Don’t multitask while you’re making candy. Caramel goes from perfect to charcoal in a split second.

All my success in caramel making is the result of following David Lebovitz’s guidance.

https://www.davidlebovitz.com/?s=Caramel

Perhaps a scientist can explain why, but I’ve found that room temperature butter doesn’t emulsify so I use cold butter.

Trust your thermometer. Every time I make this caramel it looks and smells burnt, but it comes out perfect every time. Speaking of thermometers, I love my Thermapen. They are expensive, but to me, so worth the price.

3 Likes

In a similar vein, Smitten Kitchen’s apple cider caramels are delicious, and start with reducing a quart of apple cider. They’re fairly simple to make.

4 Likes

What type of pot do you recommend using? SS, non stick?

Very helpful!

1 Like

I use a stainless steel saucepan. One of these days I’ll splurge on a saucier then I’ll use that.

The gold standard for candy making is unlined copper. Someday I’ll splurge on that too.

I wouldn’t use non-stick as it interferes with the Maillard reaction and caramel is all about the Maillard reaction.

1 Like

Excellent. Ok, I do have the right equipment to begin. Helps to be sure.

1 Like

Yes! I love the smitten kitchen apple cider caramels. I always use trader Joe’s honey crisp apple cider to make them. That cider has SO much apple flavor, especially compared to other store bought brands like Mott’s.

Indian sweet shops, well…I can go on and on about how much I enjoy the artistry, flavors and surprises in store. Kid IN a candy store.

I did try my hand at burfi some time back; went with bite sized balls instead of cut squares. Tasty and a real treat. Comes together very quickly with little fuss but I will leave the vast array of burfi to the masters.

Followed the guidance offered here:

7 Likes

Gorgeous!

Condensed milk transformed home mithai making @rooster!

(I do wish cashew meal was more commonly - and less expensively - available because I much prefer the flavor to almond meal mithais…)

1 Like

I agree on availability. I keep hoping. For ice cream too.

I made these chocolate/peanut butter eggs from Sally’s Baking Addiction.

They are delicious. My husband, who generally dislikes candy, can’t stop eating them.

I used Callebut Bittersweet 60/40 chocolate.

Having been raised by 60s hippies who only permitted me to eat food that they deemed unprocessed, I am unused to the flavor of supermarket peanut butter such as Skippy and Jif. Thankfully health food stores have started carrying a hybrid called no-stir. It has sugar and salt, but no hydrogenated fat, stabilizers, etc. I used it in this recipe.

I sprinkled Maldon salt on top, because salty and sweet together are the best.

https://shop.sprouts.com/product/27139/sprouts-smooth-no-stir-peanut-butter

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this!

1 Like

I am don’t make any candy except brittle. I make peanut brittle at Christmas & I have a dear friend who adores this maple walnut brittle, which I make once a year for her birthday (today.) It is rich as blazes and one seems to either love or loath it. My note from 2018 is “Too rich” :wink:

4 Likes