Home Taste Arlington Heights MA

Home Taste recently opened their second location in Arlington Heights where La Posada previously resided and I had my first successful visit today for some hand-pulled noodles. I settled on the D9. Chongqing Small Noodle Soup with Minced Meat & Peanuts and Bok Choy ($8.58). It was just a little bit spicy but the noodles were excellent, and I think I like them better than Gene’s. Lighter and slippery. I’ll be back to try the D3 and D4. I can’t find them on either FB or IG. Anyone?

5 Likes

What? Better than Gene’s? And closer for me. I’ll be right over. Is there anything non-brothy comparable to the lamb #4?

D4 seems to be pretty close but I don’t think it has the garlic.

I went back today for another lunch and had the D5. “Spicy Hot Oil Seared Hand-pulled Noodles with Chopped Pickled/Red Chili and Bok Choy ($7.68)”. The noodles are not seared, and the Spicy Hot Oil was completely absent, but the pickled chili was delightful. I definitely like the hand-pulled noodles here and think they are better than Gene’s. They are silkier with a better texture. So either the menu is incorrect, or it was a case of a white guy can’t take the heat. If anybody else has the D5, please let me know if you got the chili oil.

http://thedailylunch-woburn.blogspot.com/2018/11/home-taste-arlington.html

3 Likes

Was there any oil in the dish at all? I think (but could be wrong) the prep is to pour hot (plain) oil over the pickled chilis rather than add reddish chili oil (the latter would be a condiment you could add on your own).

There might have been plain oil in the bottom but that’s not what the description said.

That looks like the white guy version (at least compared to the dish at the original place.

Went with a friend for dinner last night for the first time (which is ridiculous as it is a short walk from home). We shared the scallion pancake (small, crispy-tender and delicious) and sauteed Chinese cabbage (not attractive but very good). I got the D4 (spicy hot oil hand-pulled noodles with bok choy and bean sprouts) and she got the D7 (hand-pulled noodles with scallion oil, cucumber and bean sprouts) as she does not care for spicy. Both of us really enjoyed ours. I ate far too much; she was more restrained. Sorry, no pictures, promise to do better next time. We got there about 5:45 and the place was totally empty. By 7:00 it was jammed and I mean jammed: they have an awful lot of tables crammed in. But it wasn’t too loud and everyone was clearly enjoying themselves. Service was very sweet. I will have to do some rigorous scientific testing* but on the basis of one visit I would tend to agree with @Ferrari328 that the noodles themselves were even better than Gene’s.
*such a burden

6 Likes

Gah - you beat me to it (and I’m glad you did).

I hope to get to Home Taste in the very near future

1 Like

Just giving Home Taste a bump. Went to the Watertown location for lunch today, hadn’t been in a while.

I really enjoy their noodles. Had the hand pulled noodles with pork and bean sauce - excellent. The lunch deal comes with soup and 2 sides (the soup, hot and sour, was really good / the sides, eh).

But they are super nice, a great lunch deal for 8.95, and I’m very happy they are in my neck of the woods.

5 Likes

Went again with same friend as last time. We shared the vegetable dumplings which came out way too fast and were quite dry – I am thinking microwave. She liked them more than I did. Also the green onion tofu from the appetizer section which was surprisingly delicious – tender silky tofu in a light sesame-soy sauce with sliced green onions. She had the D7 again and I tried the D5 which was great - like @Ferrari328 I loved the pickled red chilis. Again, packed a little after 7:00. Sweet, efficient service.

3 Likes

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter!

Press Room
“Food is a pretty good prism through which to view humanity.”

― Jonathan Gold