Holiday cookies and other seasonal sweets

For almond-lovers, here are a bunch of cookie recipes. http://odense.com/search.php?search=christmas&isFiltered=isFiltered&courses[]=cookies&filter.x=78&filter.y=27
By the way, I recently saw both coconut-almond and chocolate-almond pastes in the same tubes as regular almond paste. I imagine they are swappable for any almond paste recipe.
(PS: When I tried to get to any of the recipes via AOL, the link broke, but I can get there via Internet Explorer. )

1 Like

I’ve been making these Williams-Sonoma ginger-pecan cookies for a few years now. I don’t enjoy baking so this is about as wild and crazy as I get :smile:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/ginger-cookies.html

1 Like

Am curious as to what kind of holiday baking people are doing this year. On my list (at the moment) are:

Sweet

• Gingersnaps
  • Snickerdoodles
  • Chocolate Crackles
  • Almond Crescents
  • Chocolate chip meringues
  • (Possibly) Peppermint meringues
  • Buckeyes (chocolate and peanut butter candies)
  • Peanut brittle

Savory

• Chex Mix (this is essential)
  • Savory spiced nuts
  • (Possibly) Cheese straws

This year the following:

Strawberry Rhubarb pie
Steamed Blueberry pudding
Raspberry Trifle
Choc Chip Cookies
Choc Almond Biscotti
Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti
Pizzelles

& what ever else I get inspired to make. I’m sure there will be something chocolate…

1 Like

I made buckeyes, boozy chocolate covered cherries and champagne caramels last week. Many of these have already been distributed as gifts and have gotten great reviews! I am also planning to make nut patties tomorrow or Wednesday - a recipe of my great-grandmother’s that she got who-knows-where. They are basically a Canadian Butter Tart, but with nuts added. I have tweaked the recipe to suit my taste, so mine are sour cherry-maple nut patties. Speaking of Butter Tarts, has @buttertart made it here from CH?

1 Like

Yep, I’m here!

2 Likes

Glad you made it! :smile: What else are you making ?

After my new Heritage bundt pan turned a Strange Fruitcake (made successfully using my original, cheapie, thin aluminum bundt many times) into a doorstop, I’m a tad oven-shy but am hoping that the reintroduced Sticky Toffee Pudding from Trader Joe’s - they haven’t had it in about a decade - is as good as it used to be.

I bet it’s that the swirl of the heritage pan exposes more area to heat.
So far, have made my mom’s fruitcake (no booze and no spices) and have the fruit ready for my mother-in-law’s (port and spices).
Also made whipped shortbread and my husband’s favorite cookies, a mash-up of sablés and the browned butter dream cookies from 150 Best American Recipes.
Trying to decide if I want to take anything in to the office this week – we’ve gotten so many corporate gifts of sweets it might be better to do it next week when things die down.